Summer practice article on Bluefield...

Bluefield_Rules

Not really much detailed info in the article, but that's how Simon likes to roll; giving little or no info this early...

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/06/15/sports/01wedbeavers.txt

Bluefield gets ready for football title defense

Posted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 - 11:47:46 pm EDT

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD - The first game is 72 days away, but at Bluefield High School's football practice field on Tuesday, the theme was there's no time like the present to start getting ready for the start if high school football season.

With the sun shining brightly on the flanks of East River Mountain, more than 50 students went through drills as coaches cast discerning eyes on those who hope to start for the Class AA champions in 2005.

Head coach Fred Simon said that the summer instructional session "is a plus for us. Last year it was a help to us, and this year ... we're getting some kids who didn't get to play last year a lot of reps (repetitions), so it's helping us."

He listed the goals for the summer period. "To fundamentally get better at what we're doing. To learn some of our offense and defensive base schemes. And that's all we can ask. It give us an extra couple of weeks of preparation that we used to not ever be able to get."

Simon said, "It's a job you love, so I'm happy to be out here. It's a nice day today. It's fun. ... The players have worked hard, and I'm real pleased with them.

"They had some great leadership last year. They got to witness, (from) the guys who played last year, what it took to win. And hopefully, that'll carry over to us." He called the Bluefield football tradition of success "something to try to compete with, and to try to hang with, and do well."

Simon said that students now take the task of excelling on a football team as a 12-month endeavor. "That's probably different from when we played. We got some time to maybe play other sports, and to relax. And some of them (now) do play the other sports, and that's fine. But now, to try to get that edge, it's a constant working-to-make-yourself-better situation."

He cited the players' choice to participate, rather than taking the summer off. "I think if you ... show them that it makes them better, a little quicker, a little stronger, a little faster - helps their performance - then I think that sells itself. If it makes them better, they'll come do it."

Note: This is the second in a multi-part report of high school football teams' summer preparations.

I think the rule that schools can have that few weeks of practice in early summer is a great idea. The summer before my senior year is when it first went into effect and it did a lot for our team. It kinda gives the coaches an idea of where some kids stand at different positions. Starting 4 weeks before the first game doesn't give you much time to prepare and get your team ready.