BDD Poll

goalie

How many state titles do the James Monroe Mavericks have?  

1. 1. How many state titles do the James Monroe Mavericks have?

Back then Rich Valley and RB Worthy used to play more teams out of Russell, Buchanan, and Tazewell Counties. I guess back in those days people weren't afraid to drive a bus across the two lane mountain roads on Clinch Mountain like they are now lmao! Heck the Hogo teams even now whine about going up Rt 19 to Lebanon haha.

I guess that was Pocy's first and last BDD title...they came into Haysi at 8-0 in '90 and ranked #3 in the state but were handed their only loss of the season and denied a 2nd BDD championship.

What is considered co-champs? In '84 Garden and Haysi each had one loss with Haysi winning the head to head match-up 18-6 and Garden not making the playoffs. I would think the head to head match-up was the tie breaker?

When two or more teams are tied for first place in the district at the end of the regular season. It doesn't happen much. Honaker and Garden were co-champs in '88 and the most recent "co-champs" around here were Lebanon, George Wythe, and Northwood all sharing the Hogoheegee title in '03. Northwood beat Lebanon and went 7-1 in the district, Lebanon beat GW and went 7-1, and GW beat Northwood and finished with a district record of 7-1.

When you have a tie for 1st, you have "co-champs". No "tie-breaker" is used - you have co-champions, and that's it. BUT, because the VHSL needs ONE team to be named DC for the playoff seedings, their (current) rules call for the team with the higher rating to get that distinction (I don't know exactly when they started doing that). Again, that's ONLY for playoff determination / seedings.

Head-to-head is just something to brag/argue about. I personally think the head-to-head LOSER should be considered the champ. Let's use the LPD as an example. If Gate City & Powell Valley both finish 6-1, 9-1, and PV beat GC, who did PV lose to? Simple, a team that wasn't as good as either of them (they could have went 5-2, 8-2 or 1-6, 1-9, it doesn't matter). By using the head-to-head method, you're saying the team that got beat by the weaker team is your best one. To me, that does't make sense.

And let me add a couple of cases from 2001. Bland, Galax and Grayson Co. all went 4-1 in the MED, while Martinsville & Magna Vista both went 7-1 in the Piedmont.

I completely disagree with that perspective because I believe that head to head is the only true way to determine the best team...its the way the playoffs are set up, its what college football needs...its the very basic ingredient to competition on the gridiron itself...go out and beat the man in front of you. point systems are fine if you have to have them but cannot measure up even close to actually meeting the opposition and deciding it on the field

Guest BB_TWEEDER

We lost 3 starters due to graduation. we have somewhere around 10 or 11 returning startes on Off. and Def.