Ranking Bluefield's opponents, top to bottom...

Bluefield_Rules

I have some free-time tonight and in the mood to discuss some football with the season closing in on us fast. So just like last season I thought I'd rank the opponents on Bluefield's schedule for this fall.

1. Mount View--As I mentioned in another thread just a few minutes ago, no one gets up to play Bluefield like MV does. They return a wealth of talent and something like 17 starters. I'm just glad the game is at Mitchell Stadium this fall.

2. Grundy--The Marcum kid makes them a dangerous team. Also having never faced them before makes them a dangerous team. However, that goes both ways b/c Grundy hasn't seen team speed and quickness like the Beavers have. The game being in Grundy definitely gives them an advantage with Beaver having never played there.

3. Graham--The question I've been asking myself is do I buy into the hype? There was a lot of hype last year about Graham being better without Bradshaw (which I hope no one bought into). I'll buy into the hype somewhat, but having outscored Graham 65-0 in the first half the last two years makes me wonder if Graham will be capable of getting back into the win column this fall. Playing twice gives them a chance at a split, but they have zero chance of a sweep.

4. Princeton--A young team last year will have a year of experience under their belt this fall. They have some talented some skill position players, but can they overcome the usual poor-coaching of Princeton? Honestly, talent-wise I think Princeton is better than Graham this year, but coaching-wise Graham is lightyears ahead of Princeton.

5. James Monroe--They better find a passing game and some speed if they wish to play with Bluefield or anyone else of serious ability in 2005. Another favorable schedule puts them in position for a pretty regular season record, high playoff seed, and early playoff exit.

6. Shady Spring--They lost as much experience and talent as Bluefield did. The only problem, they don't have the talent pipeline Bluefield does to replace it with. A new coaching staff should put some new excitment in the air and who knows what might happen at that point.

7. Herbert Hoover--They exploded onto the AA scene after dropping from AAA a few years ago. However, a tough schedule and drop off in talent has done them in over the past two years. They have some young talent that gained experience last year, but do they have enough to get back in the AA playoffs? With their conference schedule, I say no.

8. Oak Hill--Wow, what a fall Oak Hill has had. They've gone from being contenders during their first number of years in AA to hitting the basement. OH used to produce a lot of athletic talent, but suddenly that athletic talent dried up. The Marcus Gratsy graduating class of 2004 could be the last successful football class at OH for a number of years unless something suddenly changes.

Those are my worthless ramblings on the Beaver opponents for this fall. Please feel free to add your own comments, and I'm sure there will be some b/c I didn't hold back in my thoughts.

Just a couple of points about Grundy...

1. there is only 1 Marcum kid now... confused.gif

2. Grundy faced a pretty fast Fieldale Collinsville team in the playoffs a couple of years ago...and won.

3. Grundy plays better on the road...I'd rather play you guys at Mitchell anyday.

This is how i feel these games will turn out..Critizize me all you want. I get joy out of it grin.gif

1. Bluefield vs. Graham = Bluefield by 14 ( Ansel Ponder steps up big for bluefield with 6 catches and 2 for td's)

2. Bluefield vs. Grundy = Grundy by 10 (Marcum gets 200 total yards)

3. Bluefield vs. Mt. View = Mt. View by 3. ( Kicker makes a 37 yd f/g to win the game)

4. Bluefield vs. Princeton = Bluefield by 21 ( Payne and allen carter and travis steptoe make huge runs to give bluefield the Victory) and princeton fans keep saying "maybe next year" grin.gif

5. Bluefield vs. James Monroe = Bluefield by 28. ( Our Rb's and FB'S are to much for james monroe to handle and carter scores 2 td's, payne 1, steptoe 1)

6. Bluefield vs. Shady Spring = Bluefield by 17 ( Powell throws for 150 yards on the way to a Win) Hopefully not cheating this season from SS.

7. Bluefield vs. Herbert Hoover = Bluefield by 13 (Payne is unstoppable at RB)

8. bluefield vs. Oak Hill = Bluefield by 21 ( This game was done by the 2nd quarter, but oak hill finds a way to muster back, Fortunetly not enough time remained on the clock)

Making bluefields Regular season 7-2

Thats what i think will happen. More than likley it wont. But who knows smirk.gif

I didn't know if you knew Aaron was gone or not...Grundy has a hard time with Graham every year and if you guys consistantly beat up on Graham then I'd say it will be a very good game...to bad that it couldn't have happened last couple of years though...both teams probably had the best teams of a 4 year span or so in the last couple...would have been good to see them hook up...whatever though I'm glad to see them play and I hope it continues...I think it would be a good game for both schools if they let the rivalry build a little...we can kinda make Bluefield an honorary SWD team and disown CC...lol...(j/k)

The officating for a couple games of the recent series, once in Richlands and once in Bluefield, was down right horrible. Something good did come of it though, the boneheads that officated the last Bluefield/Richlands game haven't called a Beaver game since then.