Bluefield Beavers...

bluefieldRocks

Anybody know how they looked today? Im looking forward to watch our running game. With Payne's quick speed. Then steptoe's and carters punishing runs. Looks to be a good season for the beavers. But does anybody know how they looked today?

It's the first day of practice, which means you cannot get a feel for anything. If you want to know how they looked, ask after the first scrimmage next Saturday.

I can tell you that Beaver had around 55 kids show up for the first day, which is a solid number. Anywhere from 45-50 is a good working number for high school football. Quantity doesn't matter anywhere as much as quality though...

The Nitro scrimmage is at Mitchell Stadium on Saturday the 13th. I'm willing to guess it'll start around 10 or 10:30. The second scrimmage against Point Pleasant is Thursday August 18th in Charleston at the newly remodeled Charleston University Stadium (formerly Laidley Field). I'd say that scrimmage will be a later afternoon to early evening scrimmage.

We're decent, nothing great that is for sure. 5-5 last season, and well, for the two years before that as well. We have a couple exceptional kids, but nothing great. We should be a playoff team this year, but who knows. Anywhere from 7-3 to 5-5.

We were good defenisvely last year, just could not put very many points on the board to help us out. Gave up 15 PPG, but only scored 14. Losing 1800 yards of offense will not help us much either.

Last year was a real down year compared to the two years before that, yet we still turned out 5-5. Getting out of that Ohio conference we were in helped us out a ton. Just too bad we didn't get back in WV when we actually had something, lol.

Players to watch:

SE/DB Travis Riffle - Two kickoff returns last season against Wayne and Winfield, runs a 4.40 fourty, had 4 INT last year I believe.

FB/LB Jarod Stouffer

WB/S Brandon Warner