Top 5 RB's in BDD

biggamesjames

I saw the thread about SWD RB's in the last 20 years so how bout the same for BDD? Here's my take:

5. Scotty Cox, Honaker: Dangerous open field runner, more grace than power.

4. Benny Burrell, St. Paul: Yes St. Pie was in the BDD during his career...sadly he drowned years ago in an accident at Holston lake.

3. Tyler Patrick, Honaker: Another dangerous open field runner with a long stride, probably would have broken Burrell's records had he not transferred to Honaker.

2. Blaine Hackney, Haysi: The all time leading rusher at the school and 2 time all-state selection.

1. Greg Tester, Hurley: Compact frame and quickness made him scary for opposing defenses.

Others worthy of mention:

Johnny Johnson, Honaker...I'm pretty sure he holds most rushing records at Honaker and would have been 3rd on my list had the Tigers been in the BDD during his career.

Johnny McGlothlin, Garden...Hard nosed old school runner.

Tito Mock, Haysi...big and powerful like a mini tank.

Tim Hackney, Haysi...possessed the break away ability his brother lacked...hampered by Single Wing offense as a SR.

Britt Coleman, Twin Valley...Best back they've had.

Rodney Staten, Honaker...Nice power with decent speed.

Tony Jessee, Honaker...Hampered by injuries, could have been better.

Clint Roberts, Pocy...could do a little of everything.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

5. Tyler Patrick.(Honaker) Long Stide.

4. Bret Coleman.(Twin valley) Good balance of speed and power.

3.David Davis. (Hurley) Played for the 82' Team. Old School runner.

2. Blaine Hackney. (Hayis) Holds most records there.

1. Greg tester ( Hurley) Awesome lol He would have got his 2,000 yards in just 10 games if he hadent of went down with a ankle injury at Richlands, but he got it during the playoffs.

Greg Justus from hurley would have been on here, but I think they were in the Clinch Valley District when he played

I also think Matt Jessee from honaker needs to be in the mix.... I think he was the younger brother Tony Jessee...He had around 1600 yards his senior season at honaker....Also some guy they called the Ghost form castlewood, they used to be in the clinch river district or something lik that with the bdd teams.

I don't really know much about Poachontas in the BDD ... we kinda switched over before my time.. but I do know that Clint Roberts was a really good Player. I don't know for sure, but wasnt he 1st team all distric in 91 or 92? He is our all time leading rusher at the school, i'll get back to ya with all the yards he had. He was also a really good kicker/punter. He has a record in the playoffs for punt average for single a. Ever since i have been playing football down here i've heard about Clint Roberts and the 92 "hammer time" team. I never did get to meet clint though, he died in 1999 in a car wreck..

Totally agree with Matt Jessee as well, he should have been mentioned. Its easy to get him confused with his brother because I think they wore the same number 44. The "ghost" you are referring to was Paul Davis from Castlewood and yes he was a dominant back but I didn't mention him #1 because he played in the CVD and #2 it was in the 70's and I was just going back 20 years smile.gif

I did get to know Clint a little and he was a good guy...they went 9-1 his Sr year and made a trip to the playoffs. He was an all purpose type back and yes, if you talk about strictly punting, he might be at the very top of the list in BDD history.

I agree with most of them BB TWEEDER with the exception of Bret Coleman. He was a decent back but not in TOP 5 in the BDD. He is not it top 3 to come out of garden. Brandon Helton from lat year was better than Bret Coleman.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

My bad about David Davis lol Sliped my mind that we where only going back 20 years lol. Rebel20 Bret had something like 1,600 yards. Brandon helton barley broke 1,000.

Brett Coleman was not that good. tweeder your wrong he barely broke a thousand. David Dye from garden was the last back with the most yardage around 1200 yards....His last season was 1995. Brett Coleman would not rank in the top 20 in the bdd the last 20 years. He was a decent back but not that caliber.....He went to uva wise and they mnoved him to defensive back and he quit.....Im telling you garden has produced a lot of backs thats better than him...

1. Johnny Mcglothin

2. Chris hagerman

3. David Dye

4. john horne

5. My opinion Brandon helton

6 Brett Coleman

Guest BB_TWEEDER

He may not have been in te top 20, I may be worng but I think he had over 1,400 yards.... Seems it was around 1,600.... I forgot about Mogothlin (spell check) I will put him in Colemans place.