Bluefield's Lucas Stone, a Pitt Panther...

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/08/06/sports/04satstone.txt

Steel City beckons Stone

Posted: Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 - 01:31:22 am EDT

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

Lucas Stone helped kick Bluefield to a state championship. He hopes to have similar success in the future as a member of the Pittsburgh Panthers.

Stone will report to the start of practice at Pittsburgh on Monday as a walk-on kicker and punter with the Panthers football team. He's been told by coaches that he'll enter camp as the second string punter behind rising junior Adam Graessle.

"I always knew if I had a shot at playing college football, I wanted to take it," Stone said. "I always expected to go in as a kicker because I won awards in high school as a kicker, but if they have an opening at punter, I'll take what I can get."

Originally a soccer player, Stone won plenty of awards, not to mention games, for the Beavers. A three-time West Virginia Group AA first-team selection as a kicker, Stone was instrumental in Bluefield's 14-0 campaign last season. He set a pair of records in the 69-24 destruction of Wayne in the state title game, kicking three field goals, including a long of 41 yards.

"I had just played soccer m most of my life. I switched to football and I was a kicker naturally, I guess," Stone said. "I just fell into the position. All the awards that I have won was because of my team.

"We got to the state championship game three years in a row. Any kind of individual award is a team effort."

Bluefield won most its games last season with ease, but did earn two wins by three points and another win by a single point.

Stone's foot proved to the difference in all three, as the Beavers wiped away the memories of losing two state title games in a row.

"It was great. After two years of knocking in the door, to finally break it down was wonderful," Stone said. "It was a great season."

A 4.0 student and valedictorian at Bluefield, Pittsburgh first showed an interest in Stone while he was attending its football camp. Stone, who will seek an engineering degree, will be ready if needed, but hopes to redshirt this season.

"I kept making contact with them and they told me I could walk on," Stone said. "They said there might be a spot this year, and there will definitely be in a couple of years if I walked on. I agreed with them, but if I get in a game this year, it will be as a back-up punter."

Stone isn't sure what to expect at Pittsburgh, but he knows where he hopes to be in early-September and late-November.

"I'm looking forward to the opening game against Notre Dame and the final regular season game against West Virginia," Stone said. "Hopefully, I'll survive before and between those two dates."

that's good to read. I hope he excells there.

Never did figure out his college situation after last season though, he scored something like 1400 or 1500 on sats, had a scholarship to harvard?, then was going to go to college elsewhere, and now is going to pitt.

I thought he scored a perfect 1600 on the SAT? Harvard did offer him an academic scholarship (Ivy League schools don't give athletic scholarships) and the football coach wanted him to kick for the team. If you remember, Harvard invited him up there for the Harvard/Yale game the day of the Bluefield/Keyser playoff game last November.

I'm not certain what perfect scores on sats are though, I myself was just going for triple digits when I tested way back when. Perhaps it was 1600. But anyhow that's it, I thought he had accepted an academic scholarship to harvard.

To brag on my nephew though, he scored around 1400 or 1500 or so on sats last spring and scored the highest in the math scoring for his age group in the state of texas, he's only 12 if I'm correct. Apparently bigger universities test students who are well ahead of the curve early for whatever reasons and he's considering going to duke.

But anyhow, as I wrote in the other post, congrats to lucas stone.

With all due respect, I knew you'd comment about that, in a good way of course. His dad, my bro, graduated from king college in bristol and got another degree at unc and is as big a carolina fan as you are. They'll likey relocate from texas to the raleigh durham area after he graduates from high school, which will be around the time my bro gets his phd from university of texas so I'm certain he'll have other options to consider.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

he's considering going to duke

[/ QUOTE ]

Buzzsaw from one man to another, don't let that happen. There are plenty of outstanding academic schools out there he can attend. Don't let the poor kid become a dookie...

[/ QUOTE ]I guess he should go to UNC where their basketball coach just got in trouble for "improper benefits" at his previous school huh.?? Also good luck to Lucas at Pitt.....

I cannot imagine any self-respecting UNC grad allowing their child to attend dook grin.gif. I would certainly hope with his father being "a huge UNC fan" he would have ingrained that same love and passion for UNC into his son. You don't want your own flesh and blood going over to the dark side. Look at what happened to poor Shavlick Randolph when his father, UNC grad, allowed him to attend dook. He went from the next great white basketball player to the next great white bust...lol