Hurley / Appy Scrimmage

Any news or results. I didn't get to make the trip and was just looking to see how things went. Thanks for any replies.

Yes they did look good. Hurley was just out manned tonight and lucky they got away without any seriou injuries....Appy was able to perform better in the heat having about 35 or 40 ballplayers to hurley's 21. Appy looked alot stronger than they did last year. The rebels hung in there with them last year but this year they were just too much for hurley....I think appy will give gate city all they can handle.....Look for appy to be contending for that lpd title.

There were three Hurley kids who left with pretty serious injuries (two of which I know went to the hospital). 2 were dehydrated, one had bruised ribs (possibly bruised spleen). Thats an issue different altogether. I reckon they are alright now, but keep them in your thoughts and hope they recover well and return soon.

As for the game itself, Appalachia is in a different league than what Hurley is, as far as anybody saw. Appy was very strong and had a lot of team speed. They subbed 2-3 kids in most every down and didn't miss a step. Fundamentally, probably the best team Hurley will face all season (they may be the best team fundamentally in all of SWVA).

Those kids have worked extremely hard as they are improved tenfold since last year. There OLine (as well as the TEs) looked like a dozer blade pushing down field. They were all on the same page and it showed. I fully expect those boys to contend for the LPD title this year. There passing game needs a little bit more practice, but that will come with time and effort. Based on all I've seen and read, Division 1 will likely come down to Appy or Burton and the rest of us ought to be taking notes.

As for Hurley, these boys just didn't have the conditioning to go in 100 degree weather. They met a team that was stronger, tougher, more physical, and faster all around. Hurley had some success moving the ball, but just couldn't sustain anything. Defensively, Appy moved the ball at will. Like I said, it looked like a dozer blade pushing down field. Of course, better tackling on Hurley's behalf may have slowed Appy down, but make no mistake about it, they were the dominant team.

All in all, it'll be an interesting Week 1 @ Hurley this coming Friday. I'm anxious to see what is brought to the table against Unaka.