Beaver/Graham looks to be a go at Mitchell...

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/08/23/sports/03tuemitchell.txt

Mitchell Stadium use contract nearing completion

Posted: Tuesday, Aug 23, 2005 - 01:23:40 am EDT

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD - The gears of government are grinding toward the goal of ensuring that the Beaver-Graham football game kicks off on time, Friday evening at Mitchell Stadium.

Negotiations between the Tazewell County School Board, which leases the stadium for Graham High School, and the City of Bluefield as the owner of the facility, are apparently close to completion.

The chairman of the school board, Steve Davis, said on Monday evening, "Definitely, there's been some progress being made to get it finalized before the end of the week."

He acknowledged that lawyers for the school board have been working on acceptable stipulations in the contract.

Davis said, "That has continued, but I think both sides have worked through the issues ... . I don't want to be premature about it, but I anticipate it being finalized this week."

Differences in the length of the lease and a proposed 2 percent cost increase were among issues that have stalled agreement since March, according to earlier reports by city officials.

School board member Cookie Johnson said, "There was some problem with a four-year contract (which would be) committing funds before the funds were appropriated on a year-to-year basis. I think that was the problem the whole time. The attorneys have worked that out."

She added, "We really appreciate the Bluefield city council, especially Pete Sarver, Jim Bailey and (city manager) Mark Henne. They have worked diligently. We really appreciate their efforts and their patience."

Davis said on Monday that he was "in the process of scheduling a special meeting" of the school board on Thursday afternoon in Tazewell to vote on the proposed contract.

Friday's game is technically a home contest for Graham.

"We're ready for Friday night," Johnson said eagerly, "ready to get it going."

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Don't count your chickens before they hatch...

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit peeing on my cornflakes!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not...I'm crapping on your Wheaties...just like the TCSB is crapping on Bluefield, VA and its kids...