any questions on the Bland Co. game??

bcbathletics

I got to ask:

How did you all beat Twin Valley? Did the fact that there starting QB/DE was out make a big difference? I know they lost some skill players, but they seemed to be set for a really good year in '05 possibly winning 7 or 8 games. What happened? Are they not as good as last season or is Bland a much improved team from a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

I think the first string QB played for Twin Valley. He was injured against Fort Chiswell last week, but I'm pretty sure that was him starting.

BC basically controlled the line of scrimmage enough to win. There were three backs for Bland County (Henson, Barker, and Pennington) that each had over 50 yards rushing. That running game plus several key passes to WR Thomas Willis (one for a TD) kept things moving. Bland County also recovered a few fumbles and had two key interceptions. They also held TV's running game in check with the exception of one long TD run. (This despite the fact that several key BC starters sat out the second half with cramps/injuries). Bland had the ball first and goal from the 5 yard line with 30 seconds to go in the first half and then threw an interception. Before that, BC had stopped TV on the BC 18 yard line but a BC personal foul penalty moved them down to first and goal and they punched in a late 2nd quarter touchdown. BC also missed a short field goal. There was no scoring for either team in the second half. Twin Valley was a tough, gritty team, but they seemed to have trouble containing Bland County's 225 lb fullback Barker. He probably averaged 7 yards a carry with about 4 or 5 TV defenders hanging on him. Twin Valley was tough, and Bland County has one of their best teams in years.

Was there QB #18? Papers had him down for being out a couple weeks. I also saw a picture of there backup QB. For a Freshmen, he had some good size. Are you sure it wasn't him playing (#9 I think).

Anyhow, Bucsfan64, you out there pal? Any confirmation for us?

Bland is much improved this year. They lost All-MED running back Dwayne Flack to graduation, but this year they have a trio of solid runners. Also, they finally have a nice passing game. The major improvement this year is in the coaching staff. Former Tazewell head coach Harris Hart is now the coach and his assistant coach Grindstaff is excellent as well. Mentally and physically, Bland County has not been this strong in years. Plus, the new coaching staff has stirred up renewed interest in the football program and Bland County has 30 players this year versus 19 last year. It also helps to have a very talented bunch of 9th graders on the squad! They aren't a powerhouse, but they will definitely surprise a few teams this year; like they did with Twin Valley.

Fact is we are a better team that we have been, we actually have coaches this year in coach grindstaff and head coach hart, but there QB did play...and mostly how we beat them was with a hard nose defense and a good running game..matt barker up the middle..hes a 6'1 235 pound full back..hes a monster..but i dunno they are an ok team

BC is much better team this year, with 32 players on the roster and a new coaching staff, TV was a good team they just couldnt hang with BC, we were in the red zone several times just couldnt connect, defense was great BC shutting down TV running and passing game...fresman Korey Kennedy got alot of playing time due to Jr. Tyler Penningtion being out on defense, its good to see a freshman out there giving his all, BC is whole differnt team this year watch out!!

Hey My B/f is #18 from twin valley and him being out did hurt out team.. I'm not just saying that because he is my b/f either.. But he did play some but he was to hurt to play alot.. They really protected him good and he did reinjure his foot at the game against BLand. But He says that everything should be healed to play this friday against St Paul! <font color="purple"> </font>