constructive criticism of bluefield

buzzsawBeaver

They're 0 - 2, it's warranted.

But to be an optimist this team plays hard and I thought they had done really well to be in the game in the 4th quarter. A word that described them in this game is resilient.

They also had no turnovers that I recall.

Their potential is still there as the competition lessens, eventually anyhow, with their big play style.

The criticism, as mentioned in another post, I agree completely, tacking is this teams biggest situation, especially in the secondary, and I'm not a coach, but even so I have to second the idea that they should really change the secondary around, start some players who are physical and can or will attempt to tackle. They front of the d overall does reasonably well but they have no support coming up and there is way to much yardage after contact.

A different secondary would also make for much fresher rb's and skill position players on o, and a fresh secondary on d.

Special teams are a strong point on the return teams overall, but the opposite on ko and punts.

Again not a coach but I really do have to question the reason for so many 15 yard grounders on the ko, with provide the other team with exceptional starting position around mid field, and especially considering bluefield already has a situation on d anyhow.

On o, only a comment, but with all the sweeps and qb rollouts, they'd be wise to pitch the ball to a speedster coming back the other way from the wideout position. In my opinion they should do some reverse type of plays that not only have potential for big gains but also would slow down the lateral pursuit of the d.

not necessarily so, I have a tendancy over the years to sit their from my perch and consider to myself what would have worked on certain plays, and with the over pursuit of d's to bluefield's outside plays the opposite side of the field seems to be commonly wide open, combined with bluefield's speed it's only my opinion these plays would work.

Overall this is a youthful and inexperience team so there's really only so much exectution you can expect, and a lot of success they are having is simply from sheer speed and athletism in my opinion, so overall they're doing well with where this team is at it seems on o. And I expect more production if powell returns 100% of course.

I don't hesitate to write they should change things in the secondary though because it seems the situation is obvious.

On special teams also, I don't hesitate to write that what they're doing isn't effective because as princeton had a lot of long returns on ko, the very 1st return down to the 5 or so as for example, bluefield lines up for ko crunched into a 15 yard area around the middle, so it seems really easy for returnmen with any speed such as princeton had, to make the outside and race down the sideline. If a team were to line up on ko like so against bluefield their # 3 could return every 1 for a score.

It's not likely as big a concern against common teams but against teams with speed at the return positions it is.

Last season it wasn't much of a concern because bluefield was so fast overall on ko, and lucas stone often had the ball inside the 5 or the endzone.

Only my opinions, don't intend it in a sour type of critical way, it simply seems they are shooting themselves in the foot with a few of the things they do in a season when they really can't afford to do so.

I completely agree with you on the secondary issues, buzzsaw. I pointed that out myself in my little blog about the game last night in the other thread. We are simply lacking a physical presence in the secondary like we've had the past two seasons with Rusty Coeburn and in 2003 with Kelly Mariotti. I watched all game as Princeton would neutralize the linebackers and d-line with some great blocking which left most of the tackling up to a passive and less than physical secondary. I became really frustrated too as I saw the Princeton guards and blocking wideouts take the safeties and corners anywhere they wanted because no one would fight through their block to make the tackle. It doesn't take a genius to see that a change must be made and quickly.

If something isn't done, I'm afraid that we're going to see much of the same against Grundy because they have a huge offensive line and a great backfield just like Princeton.

Bluefield has two weeks to find a secondary capable of providing run support and learn to tackle effectively. If things don't change from a defensive standpoint then Grundy's Marcum is going to hang at least 300 rushing yards on Bluefield come September 16th.

Seems people are in agreement about the secondary.

That said, perhaps criticism wasn't the best subject for the post, because I didn't intend to be critical about the o scheme, my thoughts about some plays that might be effective were only that, thoughts.