My Unofficial WV AAA WVSSAC Ratings after Week 5..

edrforshey

1) Woodrow Wilson (5-0) (71) (14.20)

T2) Morgantown (5-0) (67) (13.40)

T2) Nitro (5-0) (67) (13.40)

4) Jefferson (5-0) (63) (12.60)

5) Martinsburg (5-0) (62) (12.40)

6) University (4-1) (55) (11.00)

7) Parkersburg (4-1) (52) (10.40)

T8) Fairmont Sr. (3-1) (40) (10.00)

T8) St. Albans (3-1) (40) (10.00)

10) Buckhannon Upshur (4-1) (49) (9.80)

11) Bridgeport (4-1) (48) (9.60)

12) John Marshall (3-1) (37) (9.25)

T13) Princeton (4-1) (46) (9.20)

T13) R C Byrd (4-1) (46) (9.20)

15) Brooke (4-1) (45) (9.00)

T16) Cabell Midland (3-2) (39) (7.80)

T16) East Fairmont (3-2) (39) (7.80)

18) Ripley (3-2) (38) (7.60)

19) Parkersburg South (3-2) (34) (6.80)

20) South Charleston (2-2) (27) (6.75)

21) Hampshire (3-2) (33) (6.60)

T22) Hurricane (2-2) (25) (6.25)

T22) Riverside (2-2) (25) (6.25)

24) Nicholas (2-2) (22) (5.50)

25) Musselman (2-3) (24) (4.80)

26) Hedgesville (2-3) (22) (4.40)

27) Wheeling Park (2-3) (21) (4.20)

28) North Marion (1-4) (16) (3.20)

T29) Capital (1-3) (12) (3.00)

T29) Preston (1-3) (12) (3.00)

31) George Washington (1-4) (14) (2.80)

32) Greenbrier East (1-4) (12) (2.40)

33) Huntington (1-3) (9) (2.25)

T34) Elkins (0-5) (0) (0.00)

T34) Lewis (0-5) (0) (0.00)

T34) Spring Valley (0-4) (0) (0.00)

Key:

#) Seed Number

(#-#) Record

(#) Rating Points

(#.##) Rating Percentage

[ QUOTE ]

I know this unofficial, but I hate to seePrinceton drop so much. I did however expect that they would. Thanks for the heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you expect....two of the four wins are against AA opponents? Wait until next week when Nitro gets them.

[ QUOTE ]

WHOA!!! Woodrow is sitting at #1???

[/ QUOTE ]

That won't last very long. They still have to play Nitro. This is the same team that was what 2-8 last year and suffered a 40+ point loss at the hands of eventual state champion Morgantown. They are pretenders, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That won't last very long. They still have to play Nitro. This is the same team that was what 2-8 last year and suffered a 40+ point loss at the hands of eventual state champion Morgantown. They are pretenders, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

ooo.gif are you smoking something??

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely disagree. This isn't the same Beckley team as a season ago. They're now playing the best players in Mayo and Ali, plus Marcus Mann is playing this year. They have already proven themselves against a number of outstanding teams. And their defense is big enough, physical enough, and more than fast enough to give Nitro major headaches.

Being a Weir fan you should know that a team can go from 2-8 to be a successful team. Wasn't Weir like 2-8 in 2002 before turning it around in 2003 and taking Bluefield to OT in the 2003 playoffs? Bluefield was 2-8 in 2001 and then in 2002 made it all the way to the state title game.

Honestly, physically and athletically Beckley matches up the best of anyone in AAA with Morgantown. And Morgantown isn't the same team they were last season, neither is Beckley.

[ QUOTE ]

Being a Weir fan you should know that a team can go from 2-8 to be a successful team. Wasn't Weir like 2-8 in 2002 before turning it around in 2003 and taking Bluefield to OT in the 2003 playoffs? Bluefield was 2-8 in 2001 and then in 2002 made it all the way to the state title game.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, in 2002 Weir was 4-6, losing 4 of those games by 6 points or less. It was a transition period w/ a new coach and a new system coming in. The talent was there in 02. And it was 2 OT's LOL.

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly, physically and athletically Beckley matches up the best of anyone in AAA with Morgantown. And Morgantown isn't the same team they were last season, neither is Beckley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you don't know too much about Morgantown. They didn't let ANYONE they played get within 24 points of them last season. The only close game they've had this season was to Wheeling Park and it was 21-18. They are 5-0 and the state champs until someone beats them and I don't see that happening. Beckley will not beat Morgantown, but I can definitely see Culbertson running all over the Eagles defense. Morgantown has an insane amount of talent after losing three D1 players to graduation and many other starters. Beckley, IMO, doesn't have the talent to play w/ a seasoned team like Morgantown. It's Nitro that could take the Mohigans to the wire, but I still think Morgantown is the team to beat in AAA this year.

Nitro doesn't have the defense to seriously contend in AAA. As for Morgatown, I know all about them. I do have friends at WVU that have watched them play a number of times over the past three years. The word on Motown this year is that while very talented, they aren't as good as the team Motown put on the field last year; at least not yet. And I'm not going to get into a pissing match over whether or not Beckley can defeat Morgantown. I say we wait and see if such a match-up takes place in the playoff. Some people feel Morgantown is unbeatable, and that just isn't the case. It would take an "A" to defeat them, but the likes of Beckley and Parkersburg are more than capable of doing such.

I don't see Culbertson or anyone else running over the Beckley defense this season. Beckley's D-line might be the biggest improvement over last season. Add to that three of the best linebackers in the state in the middle in Parkulo, Peters, and Lines, and the speed of Walker and Price on the outside and it is tough to run on them. The secondary of Ali, Manns, and Coleman is also very good. All three are very good basketball players and have great hands (Manns 7 interceptions already) not to mention quickness. Anyone throwing that way better be very careful as it easily could be going back for 6 the other way.

As for offense, the line has improved tons. They are really opening holes for the backs to run through. Beckley is very deep in the backfield with 6 different backs that gets carries. Not to mention speed. Manns runs a 4.41 40, Walker was on the 4x100 team, Eneje is a very quick fullback, Mayo is quick, and I know it will be hard to believe but according to Coach Lilly, Marquel Ali the freshman runner-up in the 100 was electronically timed with a 4.23 40.

No this is not the same team that played last year, many of these guys that have been mentioned were either freshmen or didn't play. We have several new coaches and Coach Lilly has admitted to being in a bad mood over last year's season for the past 8 months. The team worked their butts off over the offseason. This team already has wins over Parkersburg, Capital, Riverside, Cabell Midland, and Greenbrier East. All five have been double digit wins.

The team will have to keep proving it on the field though. That being said, I think they definitely are very deserving of their #1 ranking at this point.

Noone else other than Morgantown should be #1 until someone beats them, and so far noone has in the last 19 games, including a 45-12 win over WW. A team can improve over a year's time, but I don't know if they can go from 2-8 to being state champions.

Yeah Morgantown is the state champion and they will be until someone knocks them off. That being said, I don't think they have had the best season in AAA up to now due to the weak competition they have faced.

I really think someone could dethrone Morgantown this season. It could be Nitro, maybe Parkersburg, Jefferson, Beckley, but I think they can be beaten. Morgantown, while still good, just doesn't seem to be the same team they were last year. Not saying Morgantown won't win the AAA championship again, but they can be beaten.

As for Beckley going from 2-8 to being state champions, I know it can be done. The reason is Beckley has only gone 2-8 three times in 65 or 70 years of football. The last time they did it, they won the state championship the next year. It is too early to even be thinking state championship for any team though.

Beckley has played good up to now but there is still a lot of football left to be played. They have to continue to take things one game at a time, stay away from injuries, keep the good attitude they have, and continue to get better and continue to prove themselves on the field.

What attitude? I just said I dont think Woodrow Wilson can win the state title. Morgantown has a reason to boast, while winning 3 out of the last 5 AAA state championships, yet their players don't. They aren't satisfied w/ that. They want to keep adding to the trophy case. It could very well be Morgantown and Woodrow Wilson in the state title game. If they beat Nitro, the Eagles could be sitting at either 1 or 2 w/ Morgantown at the other top spot. Jefferson and Martinsburg have to play each other so one of those teams will be entering the playoffs w/ at least one loss and they probably both won't go undefeated b/c they play tough competition from MD. Whatever happens, the AAA playoffs will be interesting this season!

If I had to put them in order the 1A and 1B are just too close to call a winner if they played a game.

#1A) WOODROW WILSON: Have a great O and D, alot of speed. I think they could be thrown on, but you got to pass it away from Manns. An block Parkalo(sp). Lack of BIG game experience in the playoffs might hurt, but some of them know how to win playoffs by playing Basketball.

#1B) MORGANTOWN: Great QB in Russell, Good FB in Anderson, decent defense. A team with a good offense line will be able to run on them this year. Knows how to win in Nov. and Dec. Good coaching staff that knows how to get them ready for the playoff run.

#3) PARKERSBURG: Great Defense, but must learn to hold onto the football on offense. Can be thrown on, but someone must block the front 4 and linebackers to give the QB time. No one has run on the Defense yet, except for Woodrow Wilson when the Big Reds Defense spent all night on the field do to 5 turnovers. An that includes Morgantown in a scrimmage.

NITRO: It a 3 player show; RB Josh Culbertson, WR Chris Fulmer, QB Mike Scott. The lines are not very big except for 1 guy. Good teams will double team Fulmer and put 8 guys in the box to stop Culberson, daring Scott to throw it to someone else. Defense, lacks size up front. Good O lines will push them around and control the clock. Thus keeping the ball away from the Nitro offense.

Haven't seen Martinsburg or Jefferson so I can't say anything about either team.

1.) John Marshall...They are loaded at the skill positions. I thought they'd be in a lot of trouble this year after losing Amdedro, but they haven't missed a beat w/ Cy Mozingo taking the snaps. They should be a top 10 team in AAA when the playoffs roll around. They will finish 8-2 w/ their only losses coming to Bellaire and Weir.

2.) Wheeling Park...An inexperienced bunch of kids that are inconsistant at times. They played their best game of the year against Morgantown and the Mohigans played their worst game and Park still couldn't pull it out. They could be a title contender along w/ JM next year though.

3.) Brooke...Even though are 4-1, the Bruins haven't played anyone, yet they think they're getting back to their dominating ways of the late 80's and early 90's. Their 4 wins came from teams that have a combined record of 4-16(Buckeye Local-OH:1-4, Anacostia-DC:0-5, Edison-OH: 0-5, Parkersburg South: 3-2). They'll get knocked back to reality when they play Park and Weir, though. They talk about ending the season at 9-1, but I only see them winning one more game and ending at 5-5 just like last season. Weir, Park, Indian Creek(OH), and University will all beat the Bruins soundly!

LOL I changed my post. I forgot about their game w/ Morgantown. They won't beat the Mohigans. They will still end up at 8-2 b/c they beat Weir in a great game tonight. They scored w/ 52 seconds left to beat Weir 32-29. I say Morgantown will beat them by 2-3 TD's.