PV out of playoff picture

trumpet1988

pikeview does have a young team but have done better this year than they have in the last. 2 years past they beat 2 tug valley and big creek. Last night showed they have what it takes to win but not playoff potiential. Few challenges coming up next is westside. independece, iaegar, pocahontas co. and midland trail round it out. i think the have it to win them all but can they?

[ QUOTE ]

well them specify that then pv goes both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so...but when has Pikeview ever been considered a playoff caliber team? If somebody mentions PV and playoff in the same sentence, the only team that would come to mind would be Powell Valley. tongue.gif

Boy, that's a nice comment to one of the schools in your county! PikeView did have playoff caliber teams the first few years that the school was open! Just because the team doesn't make the playoffs doesn't mean that those players aren't working their butt off to get a mark in the win column. PikeView may be 1-4, but the players on that team have heart when they take the field!

[ QUOTE ]

Boy, that's a nice comment to one of the schools in your county! PikeView did have playoff caliber teams the first few years that the school was open! Just because the team doesn't make the playoffs doesn't mean that those players aren't working their butt off to get a mark in the win column. PikeView may be 1-4, but the players on that team have heart when they take the field!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you are serious about trying to improve the program at Pikeview you could start by upgrading your schedule. I know you may have to "crawl before you walk" but a good start would be to add some schools that do make it to the post season on a regular basis....Mount View and Bluefield to name a couple that would enable you to upgrade the program over time. I know you play Princeton for the money, but by avoiding the AA contenders in the region you are sending a clear message that you do not want to compete at the level necessary to make you a much better program.

If you wanna be the best, you gotta play the best.

well, I don't make the schedule! i don't even play for pikeview. Yes, Princeton is on the schedule, Liberty, James Monroe, Iaeger (there are 3 AA teams that usually do very well). Liberty, and James Monroe both ranked in the top ten, Iaeger having a down year, but usually make the playoffs

From what I can see, PV has some issues offensively, but they are pretty good defensively. With a week off this week, look for them to straighten out some things and make a run for the playoffs. I feel sorry for JJ Kelly when they have to face the Vikes in 2 weeks. One thing I will guarantee...Gate City will take nothing for granted when it comes to PV because 3 losses or not, they can't be overlooked.

It will be very hard for PV (powell valley)to make the playoffs, Honaker is in ,Gate City is in (most likley), I think haysi is in (they could be 9-1 at seasons end), and the last seed is down to clintwood or pv and since c-wood beat pv I would have to go c-wood

No one is in yet. Honaker may possibly be, but they still have one or two district games left. Chances are that they'll win those games, but that's why they play the game. As far as Gate City, Haysi, Powell Valley & Clintwood are concerned, no one is in. Three of the above will likely join Honaker in the playoffs, but to say anyone is in right now would be a mistake.

There are 7 D2 teams in Region D. I think its fairly safe to eliminate Kelly & Coeburn from consideration. Honaker, by winning the Black Diamond, is a lock. That leaves Haysi, Clintwood, Powell Valley & Gate City to fight it out for the remaining three slots. PV, at the moment, is fighting for their playoff lives, but if they beat GC & Appalachia, I think they'll qualify. Clintwood will most likely have to win the rest of their games, including beating both Burton & GC, to advance. That loss to Haysi really hurt. Haysi will qualify if they win out but that means beating Grundy the last game of the season. GC has the most difficult remaining schedule, including home games with Clintwood & Burton, as well as away game with Appalachia & PV. I guess what I'm trying to say is "Win or go home."

You are right....win or go home, and the remaining games for PV, GC, and Clintwood are pivotal. I think if Clintwood can beat Burton, they will be in. I just don't think that is going to be as easy for them this year as it has been in the past few.

Having seen Powell Valley play they are probably only lacking consistency at the QB position to really be a contender this year. They are missing the QB from last year badly. They start a sophmore at QB and a freshman at RB. With only 5 seniors on a team that dresses 70+ (from looking at the program), they will be the team to beat next year in Class A.

They should have beaten the 3A team they lost to from TN and were close to beating JI Burton if not for some really questionable play calling. I'm not sure how the Clintwood game went, but by judging from the score that it could have probably went the other way too if a few plays went their way.

With that I'd say the playoff picture for Region D will look like this:

Div 2

Haysi

Honaker(BDD Winner)

Powell Valley

Gate City

Div. 1

JI Burton(LPD Winner)

Appalachia

Rye Cove/Twin Springs(Cumberland Winner)

Hurley

I think it will come down to Clintwood/Powell Valley coming down to Power Ratings since they both will probably have similar records to represent Div 2.

The Cumberland District just isn't competetive enough out of their district to have a second team come from there for Div 1, so Hurley will get a spot there along with Appalachia.

Would they really need to win both of those with the rest of the LPD beating up on each other too?

Gate City is Home -vs- Clintwood, at Powell Valley, at Appalachia, and Home -vs- Burton to close to season. Chances are they go 2-2 in those games. They're giving up too many points on D.

Powell Valley already has 2 district losses. Even if they win out, Burton and Gate City have to lose twice.

I don't see Clintwood sweeping Powell Valley, Burton, and Gate City in the same season. They already have one loss to Appalachia.

JI Burton has to go 1-2 in their last 3 district games to not win the LPD.

Then again, Appalachia could end up being a player if they beat Powell Valley or Gate City or both. Their only district loss was to Burton.

Of course that's why they play the game and it could easily end up in a 3 or 4-way tie for the district title and a guarenteed playoff spot. The Region Power Rankings might leave someone deserving sitting at home for the playoffs.

I wasnt saying haysi, Gate City, and Clintwood are already in just I think that is how things will work out

correct me if im wrong but

GC has 1 loss (richlands) CWOOD has 2 (haysi, appy)

PV has 3 (seymour, burton, cwood) Haysi has 1 (Honaker)

Honaker 1 (rlands)

so I see GC 8-2 (loss burton), PV 5-5(GC,Appy)

Cwood 6-4 (GC,JIB) and haysi 9-1(Grundy will be tough Marcum is good but no o-line)and Honaker 8-2(Vhigh or Taze)

SO

1-Honaker 2-Gatecity 3-Haysi 4-Clintwood