Cabell Midland upsets Beckley 38-35

Beckley_WWHS

Cabell Midland came into Beckley tonight and ran all over the Flying Eagles defense for a 38-35 win.

The Beckley defense gave up 76 points in the first 8 games combined. In the last three games, the defense gave up 105 points. Beckley had one of the best defenses in the state the first 8 games, but then the wheels came off.

The team just never was the same after the loss to Nitro. I don't know what happened. Watching the game tonight, it seemed like nobody was into it. The Beckley side of the field was very quiet. The fans were quiet, the players were quiet. It didn't seem like anyone had any hunger or passion. I don't know if they were overlooking Midland or what, but Midland ran all over them. This is the same Midland team that Beckley dominated the first time they played at Midland.

It is a shame to see the season end this way after such a great start.

But we still have to give credit from turning last season's 2-8 team into a 9-2 team. Congrats to the seniors on a great turnaround and best of luck in the future.

Sometimes athletes strive for goals so high that mentally they can't overcome smaller defeats in a battle, but it's all about the war. Attitude is everything and they might have done that after the nitro game. For certain that isn't the beckly team that was undefeated at 1 point.

In my opion a few seasons ago, '00 maybe, beckley had an exceptional team yet was defeated convincinly in the playoffs by university if I recall, a team in my opinion they should have defeated.

Beckley's best teams can easily compete with the best overall aaa teams in a season,, but they don't seem to be able to go a step further in the playoffs and finish.

It was a successful beckley team in most ways though. Congrats to yall and good fortune in basketball and '06.

Maybe they were just ready for basketball with pratice starting Monday. Seriously though, it was another playoff nightmare and early exit for Beckley. I thought Beckley could be in trouble despite the early lead b/ they left some points on the field early in the game with great field position. And then turnovers killed them late. What can you say? Again, at least bball practice is starting on Monday...

Lilly can talk about going to the playoffs 9 of 11 years or whatever it is but he hasn't been able to do anything once he gets there.

He just hasn't gotten the job done as far as winning in the playoffs. He has had the talent at least two years at Beckley to seriously challenge for a state championship.

It's time to quit being satisfied with just getting to the playoffs. I'm beginning to wonder (not that I haven't in years past) if Lilly has what it takes to take Beckley to the level they need to be.

this upset doesnt surprise me at all. there is a lot of factors that might have played part in this loss. maybe lilly worked his kids to the point that they just got tired from busting there butts for so long and just reached that point of exhaustion and reached there peak too early in the season? maybe coach lilly's comments in the newspaper about his team after the loss to nitro made the team get mad at lilly? maybe the loss of peters at LB and starting a freshman in his place hurt pretty bad? maybe they just fell apart? see there is a lot of factors that play in this. if your a head coach you should never blame the game on one kid like he did in the newspaper. he should have told him that at practice and not embarass him in the public like that. how would he feel if someone told everyone that he was on steroids for a while? i think lilly got what he deserved and the kids just got caught up in the mess. i want to say congrats to the players they played the best they could it just sucks they got stuck with a coach like lilly that cant take the blame for his own actions.