thoughts on RR VS JI BURTON

robert

Who will be crowned MLS champion in 2005?  

1. 1. Who will be crowned MLS champion in 2005?

• D.C. United ('96, '97, '99, '04 champs)
    • Columbus Crew
    • New York/New Jersey Metrostars
    • New England Revolution
    • Kansas City Wizards ('00 champs)
    • Chicago Fire ('98 champs)
    • F.C. Dallas
    • Real Salt Lake
    • Colorado Rapids
    • San Jose Earthquakes ('01, '03 champs)
    • Chivas U.S.A.
    • L.A. Galaxy ('02 champs)

After watching RR last week, they aren't as big as most the RR teams I've seen in the past but they are slightly quicker. The are fundamentally sound in the trenches. I don't know if I've ever seen a o-line pass block that well on a single A division 1 level. Their big weapon on offense is their balance because of this line which is just as good at run blocking. I know they have a all-state wideout and probably second team Hogo QB in Heldreth, but without that line, the o would struggle. The TB in small but quick and hits the hole hard and they like to run off-tackle and counters. Personally, my plan to stop these guys would be to stop the run first and try to make them one demensional. That wouldn't be easy but it would be a lot easier than shutting down Hawkins and co out on the edges. IF you can get them one-demensional, and if you got the guys that can cover one-on-one on the outside and not get burnt, I think you would have greater success making Heldreth beat you with his arm. The reason I say this is because he did have the tendency to run if he thought he had the slightest pressure coming in on him. A good pass rush up the middle and containment on the outstide I think they can be handled. Heltreth and Hawkins will still do their damage but this I think could stop the bleeding so to speak.

On D, the line is just as quick off the ball. Running between the tackles is possible but unless you got a dominant o-line it'll take patience. If JI is a power run team, expect the safety to be lined up about 10 yards back from the line pretty much every play but they do play a LB back to try to cut off the quick slant. They appeared very succeptable to the play action with good enough blocking up front.

I'm not going to make a prediction because I don't know jack about JI but obviously it was a great game down there last year and probably should expect more of the same this year.

JI Burton is by no means a "power running" team. They are built on speed. I haven't seen Rural Retreat play this year so I cannot make a prediction. Both teams have beat some good teams and both have played their share of bad teams. I have to root for an LPD team, but good luck to both teams!