ABSOLUTES and DESIREABLES for the BLUES to WIN!!!

OFISHE8

THE BLUES ARE BACK IN THE STATE SEMI-FINALS FOR THE SECOND CONSECUTIVE YEAR AND ARE FACING A VERY DANGEROUS LIBERTY BEDFORD TEAM. I AM STARTING A POST TO TALK STRATEGY AND GAME PLANNING, SO I HAVE DEVELOPED A FEW ABSOLUTES AND DESIREABLES FOR THE BLUES:

OFFENSE:

1. Strike early and often----The Blues have had several games where they got off to a slow and sluggish start. This cannot happen on Saturday because they could find themselves trailing and trying to play catch up all day long, ie. Salem last year. If the Blues can score early it can give them some confidence and momentum that is needed in games at this level. Make Liberty match our scoring drives not vice versa.

2. Finish the Drive!!! Friday night the Blues could not finish two drives and it just about cost them the game. A 4th and 1 turned into a 4th and 6 after a silly penalty and the pass play only covered about 4 yards. The GMen responded by scoring a TD on their next drive. Later, the Blues ran a halfback pass on third and goal and turned the ball over on an interception...two plays later the GMen hit paydirt and turned the entire game around. The same happened three times in the Carroll County game, so the Blues have to put points on the board when they get inside of the red zone. Keeping the ball moving up the "gut" has been the key to scoring for the BLUES inside the red zone and the last drive Friday night proved this very point.

3. Keep the Offense of the field---Wearing down the defense has been the BLUES greatest weapon this year. Keep the clock running and the ball moving forward. No one has slowed our offense down this year other than Richlands itself. Keep the offense on the field and let the defense rest. Lebanon, Va. High, and Graham had some success when the Richands offense didn't stay on the field very long. We need to avoid three and outs!!!

4. MIX IT UP MANCE!!!! Keep Liberty off balance with a good mixture of run and pass. Get McCracken involved early and let Caleb pick up his yards on the ground. Having success on first down can open up a lot of options and keep a defense on its heels!!! The last drive against the GMen was textbook...proper play calling and pinpoint execution showed everyone how dangerous this offense really is!!!!

5. Eliminate the silly mistakes--- Too many procedure, false starts, and 12 men breaking the huddle has doomed the BLUES all season. Richlands looked confused and disorganized at times on Friday night resulting in momentum swings and lost yardage. Teams at this level don't need any "free yards" and could prove costly if they extend drives and result in points.

DEFENSE:

1. SET THE TONE EARLY!! Just like last year, the BLUES will show Liberty how strong and physical they really are. This is the very thing that keeps Richlands competitive at the next level. Getting some good clean hits early can wear down any team and Richlands needs to be physical from the start!!

2. Withstand the First Drive!! Last year, Salem marched right down the field and took some life out of the BLUES defense and got the crowd out of it early. It is very difficult for teams to judge size, strength, and speed; however, the BLUES have the ability to stop Liberty early and must have some success early to keep the confidence level of this great defense at the level it has been all year.

3. Contain the Corners. Like Lance said in a previous post, the BLUES must force Liberty into the heart of the Richlands defense. Gayhart did a great job of containing Henry on Friday night forcing him up the middle. Richlands has kept some very good running backs from turning the corner this year and Liberty will be no exception. Speed kills at this level and not giving up the "big play" will be a point of emphasis for both teams.

4. Make Liberty Pass the Ball!! Richlands has done a great job this year of forcing teams to become one dimensional. Forcing third and long situations make teams throw the ball, and without a quality QB, the defense can put a whole lot of pressure on teams and get some negative yardage if they can get to the quarterback. We know how physical the BLUES like to play and how great our DBs have been all year, this will be the key to stopping Liberty's offense.

5. FORCE TURNOVERS!! This is something the BLUES could not do last year against Salem and it proved costly. If the BLUES can catch a break here and there, and avoid turnovers of their own, the defense can create some oppurtunities for some take-a-ways. Remember, the best offense is a great defense!!!

THIS WILL BE A GREAT GAME SATURDAY AND I FEEL AS IF THE BLUES HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS GAME SINCE LAST SEASON. THE DEFENSE HAS BEEN THE STORY ALL YEAR LONG AND IT WILL BE NO DIFFERENT SATURDAY. THEY MUST SLOW DOWN THE LIBERTY AND OFFENSE AND KEEP THEM OFF THE FIELD. "THE ERNIE" CAN BE AN INTIMIDATING PLACE TO PLAY AND THE FANS HAVE TO GET INTO THE GAME. SALEM TOOK OUR CROWD OUT OF THE GAME EARLY LAST YEAR AND THIS CANNOT HAPPEN AGAIN. RICHLANDS FANS WILL OUTNUMBER LIBERTY 2 TO 1 SATURDAY AND THEY NEED TO MAKE NOISE AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY!!!

MY PREDICTION: Richlands 34 Liberty 21

I like the post, even to make it easier, another poster I admire said for the players to be the hunters not the hunted. I hope they come out and let the thunder role!!!!!

I think yall just used Caleb too many times Friday vs. Graham. Need to throw deep and let Rob jump for them. Also, keep Garrett in on Defense. When he was in, they did good. I don't know much about Liberty though, so hope they can win.

Given my location behind enemy lines, I'm willing to share what I think I know about Liberty's perspective heading in.

OFFENSE:

1. Same as Richlands -- strike early and often. Liberty has won most of their games this year by putting points on the board and putting their opponents in the hole quickly. They basically beat Brookville (the game supposedly scouted by Mance) by scoring 28 in the second quarter.

2. Control the line of scrimmage. If the offensive line is able to penetrate the Richlands front, the Minutemen will be able to rip off some huge plays. This is more a key to blowing the game open than simpy hanging tough, however, because the Liberty backfield has speed to spare. If RHS gives up the middle of the field on defense the way it did against Graham, you can probably spot Liberty 28 points heading into the game.

3. Get Zach Webb into the lineup. Webb is Liberty's answer to Caleb Jennings. He was a pleasant surprise at the start of the season, ripping off 586 yards in three games before going down with an ankle injury at Western Albemarle. He has worked hard in rehab, and should be back on the field Saturday. Poindexter and Dobyns have become a potent combination out of the backfield in Webb's absence. Adding Zach back into the mix gives Liberty a big advantage here.

3. Avoid penalties. Pretty much a given.

4. Take what Richlands gives. Even if the Blues can bottle up the offensive line, Liberty's backfield should be able to pick up at least 4 yards a pop on the ground. Although the potential for big plays is always present, the Minutemen have won this year mainly by moving the sticks.

5. Keep the defense off the field. Also a given. HS football games are won through a combination of clock management and field position.

DEFENSE:

1. Get penetration from the line of scrimmage. The size and speed of Virginia Tech signee Daryl Robertson and company have overwhelmed opposing offensive lines and bottled up opponents running games. Liberty needs to be in the backfield with Jennings as soon as he touches the ball and force McCracken to throw.

2. Pressure the QB. Liberty's pass defense has been suspect, although most of the yardage has been given up against mobile quarterbacks who can scramble. McCracken's apparent tendency to stand still in the pocket will be a major liability. The Minuteman secondary has been adept at picking off underthrown passes when Robertson and the boys get good pressure.

3. Stack the line of scrimmage in general and minimize big plays. Look for Liberty to put as many as 8 in the box on first down situations. If the RHS backfield can still manage to cross the line of scrimmage, Liberty's linebackers and secondary are quick enough to catch most runners from behind.

These two teams are pretty much mirror images of one another. However, in terms of individual athletes, Liberty's guys are probably a step quicker than their Richlands counterparts. Coach Watts and his staff are counting on that being the difference in the game.

Crowd noise shouldn't be much of a factor. The bleachers at Liberty's home field are much closer to the field than the layout at Ernie Hicks. But Liberty's approach to things is more business-like anyway. The players don't interact much with the fans and don't seem to respond either way.

Like Richlands, the Minutemen are accustomed to taking the lead in the game first. Therefore, the first team to score will have a good chance of building momentum for the entire game.

Based on what I've seen from both teams, I won't be a bit surprised to see Liberty win this one by the same score predicted by OFISHE8.

I feel that Harrison should be utilized to run the ball in short yardage situations, especially if the Liberty defense begins to contain Jennings on runs up the middle like Graham did. If this game comes down to a "smash mouth" type game, Harrison could be a key factor. But if the holes are opening, run Jennings till the cows come home!

I think if Richlands can score early and get on top, they will have a good chance to dictate and beat Liberty. Richlands hasn't had to play from behind virtually at all this year, and especially not against a team of this caliber. If we go down on Liberty early like we did Salem, there will be some heartbreak frown.gif.

That is a great point about not falling behind early. Richlands has never trailed by more than 3 points this year and both situations they responded with a TD on the following drive. I am anxious to see how the BLUES can respond if they fall behind early. Hopefully, we won't be in that situation, but AIR MANCE will likely surface and you can expect about 35 attempts from McCracken.

I aint no rocket sciuntist nor nothin but I learnt in the 3rd grade when I wuz in Jolo Elementury that when you adz a sufix to a word that endz in e that you keep the final e ifin the first letter of the sufix is a constanint but that you drop the e ifin the first letter of the sufix is a vowl. Acording to this littul rul, desireables is spelt all rong! Now like I said I don't know much about nothing and this Ofishe8 boy sounds rel smart to me about football and such but that boyz englush teacher shore needs to lay a ruler acrost his hand and larnt tha tboy sum gramer!

One thing we all may be overlooking is the field conditions on Saturday. Does a wet track favor Richlands or Liberty? And, will a wet day increase chances for more turnovers?

Richlands has shown the ability to be effective in the rain both on the ground and in the air this season. So do not be suprised if they don't miss a beat in unfavorable conditions.

[ QUOTE ]

One thing we all may be overlooking is the field conditions on Saturday. Does a wet track favor Richlands or Liberty? And, will a wet day increase chances for more turnovers?

Richlands has shown the ability to be effective in the rain both on the ground and in the air this season. So do not be suprised if they don't miss a beat in unfavorable conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely folks have been watering the field at Ernie Hicks continuously since Friday night.

Obviously I'm kidding. But I guarantee that I'll here that kind of thing from at least one Bedford person if the field is wet on Saturday.

[ QUOTE ]

Surely folks have been watering the field at Ernie Hicks continuously since Friday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tha man up stairs isn't the type to kid around. He gave it soaking this morning and afternoon.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tha man up stairs isn't the type to kid around. He gave it soaking this morning and afternoon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone from Liberty who complains about field conditions need only be reminded of the 2002 state semifinal between LHS and Grundy. Liberty hosted the game and the field wasn't fit for a tractor pull. I even accused some of the locals around here of borrowing fire hoses, but that joke didn't work too well because I am in a position to know better.

With the obvious benefit of hindsight, I'm going to revisit my Liberty analysis going in. Point for point, my view of the outcomes are posted in italics.

OFFENSE:

1. Same as Richlands -- strike early and often. Liberty has won most of their games this year by putting points on the board and putting their opponents in the hole quickly. They basically beat Brookville (the game supposedly scouted by Mance) by scoring 28 in the second quarter.

Obviously this didn't happen. Richlands established the tempo early and forced the Minutemen out of their game plan.

2. Control the line of scrimmage. If the offensive line is able to penetrate the Richlands front, the Minutemen will be able to rip off some huge plays. This is more a key to blowing the game open than simpy hanging tough, however, because the Liberty backfield has speed to spare. If RHS gives up the middle of the field on defense the way it did against Graham, you can probably spot Liberty 28 points heading into the game.

The game is won at the line of scrimmage, and RHS controlled it on both sides of the ball. Credit the Blues coaching staff with making good adjustments from one week to another. The swarming defense put LHS on their heels from the outset.

3. Get Zach Webb into the lineup. Webb is Liberty's answer to Caleb Jennings. He was a pleasant surprise at the start of the season, ripping off 586 yards in three games before going down with an ankle injury at Western Albemarle. He has worked hard in rehab, and should be back on the field Saturday. Poindexter and Dobyns have become a potent combination out of the backfield in Webb's absence. Adding Zach back into the mix gives Liberty a big advantage here.

Turned out to be a non-issue. Other than providing a bit of emotional lift, Zach's not 100% by a long shot.

3. Avoid penalties. Pretty much a given.

Well, that happened. Although it seemed to be more attributable to the fact that the officiating crew didn't see fit to throw the flag for obvious late hits and unsportsmanlike behavior. Almost could have been the difference in the game.

4. Take what Richlands gives. Even if the Blues can bottle up the offensive line, Liberty's backfield should be able to pick up at least 4 yards a pop on the ground. Although the potential for big plays is always present, the Minutemen have won this year mainly by moving the sticks.

This actually happened, although it took two quarters for the Minutemen to find their groove on offense. The big plays by Poindexter and Dobyns in the second half are representative of what Liberty's done all season.

5. Keep the defense off the field. Also a given. HS football games are won through a combination of clock management and field position.

Mentioned previously, RHS dominated the tempo in the first half. I honestly thought that the game was in the bag when Stanton scored. After that play in which he juked two Liberty defenders, the Minutemen walked off the field in a daze. Give them credit for coming back to make it interesting.

DEFENSE:

1. Get penetration from the line of scrimmage. The size and speed of Virginia Tech signee Daryl Robertson and company have overwhelmed opposing offensive lines and bottled up opponents running games. Liberty needs to be in the backfield with Jennings as soon as he touches the ball and force McCracken to throw.

Liberty actually did a relatively good job of bottling up the running game most of the time, although the superior size of Richlands was the difference in the trenches. And when Liberty did get penetration, McCracken was able to make them play with a quick release.

2. Pressure the QB. Liberty's pass defense has been suspect, although most of the yardage has been given up against mobile quarterbacks who can scramble. McCracken's apparent tendency to stand still in the pocket will be a major liability. The Minuteman secondary has been adept at picking off underthrown passes when Robertson and the boys get good pressure.

Robertson et. al. did a pretty good job IMO. But credit McCracken for getting rid of the ball when he had to. The overall play of the defense and McCracken's poise as QB improved exponentially from the Graham game to this one.

3. Stack the line of scrimmage in general and minimize big plays. Look for Liberty to put as many as 8 in the box on first down situations. If the RHS backfield can still manage to cross the line of scrimmage, Liberty's linebackers and secondary are quick enough to catch most runners from behind.

Liberty did a pretty good job, particularly in the second half. But Richlands was able to make them pay for it by throwing the ball. And Stanton's play truly was a back breaker.

These two teams are pretty much mirror images of one another. However, in terms of individual athletes, Liberty's guys are probably a step quicker than their Richlands counterparts. Coach Watts and his staff are counting on that being the difference in the game.

Going in, I bought into the conventional wisdom that Richlands was bigger than Liberty while the Minutemen were quicker than the Blues. I still think those points are valid, but the deeper story is that RHS wasn't a lot bigger than Liberty and Liberty wasn't that much quicker than RHS. In fact, the Blues were a couple of steps faster than Liberty throughout the first half.

Crowd noise shouldn't be much of a factor. The bleachers at Liberty's home field are much closer to the field than the layout at Ernie Hicks. But Liberty's approach to things is more business-like anyway. The players don't interact much with the fans and don't seem to respond either way.

I was way off here. Liberty was tentative in the first half. Watts acknowledged some nervousness among the boys. The "big game" atmosphere at Richlands was a new experience for Liberty folks, and probably helped provide an early advantage.

Like Richlands, the Minutemen are accustomed to taking the lead in the game first. Therefore, the first team to score will have a good chance of building momentum for the entire game.

Didn't take a genius to predict that one.

Based on what I've seen from both teams, I won't be a bit surprised to see Liberty win this one by the same score predicted by OFISHE8.

Obviously I was off by a little bit there. The end of the game was pretty much what I expected it to be. Frankly, it's a shame that either side had to come out on the short end. Truly was a great game between two great teams.

[ QUOTE ]

I was way off here. Liberty was tentative in the first half. Watts acknowledged some nervousness among the boys. The "big game" atmosphere at Richlands was a new experience for Liberty folks, and probably helped provide an early advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I've been preaching. Being the home team doesn't give you an advantage unless you make the most of it. Richlands fans are the absolute best and they proved it Saturday.