Top Five WV Programs in Each Class

dodgerwv

Just something for the off-season arguments. Based on tradition, coaching, facilities, talent pool, etc.

AAA

1. Morgantown (two straight titles and five title games since '98)

2. Parkersburg (maybe the best AAA tradition and most rabid fan support in the state)

3. Martinsburg (great recent track record, but the 'Dogs may get passed by Jefferson for Eastern Panhandle supremecy)

4. Nitro (Tinsley always produces a great offense at small AAA school)

5. Parkersburg South (Program has shown signs of decline since '03 title)

Others considered: University, Bridgeport, Woodrow Wilson, Riverside, Jefferson.

AA

1. Bluefield (8 state championships, great stadium, four straight title games)

2. Weir (another great tradition-rich program)

3. Wayne (always a threat, by far the best program in southwestern part of the state)

4. James Monroe (tougher schedule might help achieve more success in the playoffs)

5. Poca (2001-03 titles give the Dots a spot, but they need to make the playoffs next year to keep the position).

Others considered: Herbert Hoover, Scott, Magnolia, Tolsia, Mount View.

A

1. Wheeling Central (love 'em or hate 'em, there's no argument at this point)

2. Williamstown (Jackets will get their state title someday soon)

3. Parkersburg Catholic (Crusaders are always a contender)

4. South Harrison (another good, solid program)

5. Moorefield (hate to put an 0-10 team on the list, but they did appear in every championship game from '96 to '03.

Others considered: Gilbert, Buffalo, Greenbrier West, Matewan, Fayetteville, Tucker County.

I don't see how you can rank Wayne and James Monroe, both of which who have never won a state title, above Poca who has appeared in several title games since the mid 90s and three-peated as state champs in AA only two years ago. While Poca has had down years the past two seasons, I'd still rank them above Weir for the mere fact of longjevity. Weir had a seven year drought between this season and their last title game appearance in 1998. They're possibly facing the same scenario as Poca did following the graduation of the very talented 2004 class, where they lose the last of what was several great classes of players and face a few down years after being very competitive for several seasons. It'll be interesting to see if they'll have a drop off and if so, for how long? It happens to everyone, including Bluefield.

I agree, based on overall performance poca should be considered among the top in aa. They could argue to be considered higher than bluefield with 4 titles in the 11 or 12 seasons bluefield has been in aa, with bluefield having 2, although their record against bluefield is around 4 victories to 6 defeats, and bluefield is more competitve in most seasons overall.

Talent wise weir is ahead of poca in my opinion in a lot of seasons certainly, but there's more to it than that and obviously that's not every season and poca as more titles.

I would guess bluefield, poca, weir are the top 3 with some titles to show for it. Wayne, james monroe, are also top 5 caliber. James monroe's best teams have been as strong or stronger than waynes in my opinion, but wayne has been more conistent overall since the late '90s and seem to have their program going well most every season.

I would argue parkersburg over morgantown longterm in aaa.

"Talent wise weir is ahead of poca in my opinion in a lot of seasons certainly, but there's more to it than that and obviously that's not every season and poca as more titles."

Weir-7 State Football Titles

Poca-6 State Football Titles

There is no doubt in my mind that in 03, Bluefield and Weir were the top teams in AA. On a dry friend, BOTH the Beavers and Red Riders would have beaten Poca by 2 TD's.

[ QUOTE ]

There is no doubt in my mind that in 03, Bluefield and Weir were the top teams in AA. On a dry friend, BOTH the Beavers and Red Riders would have beaten Poca by 2 TD's.

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't that a part of football? Dealing with the intangibles that you're dealt such as weather, injuries, etc? Championship teams overcome these and people should accept the fact that Poca was the best team that year because they got the job done and earned that title, period. More talent or less talent, the spoils goes to those who get it done under whatever circumstances they are dealt.