Virginia Tech Embarassed at Marcus Vick

lee

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5217316

Hokies AD 'embarrassed' by Vick's conduct

Associated Press

Posted: 2 hours ago

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver said Tuesday that his administration was embarrassed by Marcus Vick's unsportsmanlike conduct in the Gator Bowl on Monday and that the incident will be reviewed and dealt with.

Marcus Vick's behavior in Monday's Gator Bowl was deemed "unacceptable" by Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver. (Matt Stroshane / Getty Images)

Vick, the Hokies junior quarterback and younger brother of NFL star Michael Vick, stomped on the left calf of NCAA sacks leader Elvis Dumervil of Louisville when Dumervil lay prone on the ground after tackling Vick in the second quarter of the game in Jacksonville, Fla. Vick said later it was an accident, but his version was not supported by video replays shown widely since.

After the play, Vick seems to pause before walking across Dumervil's leg.

Vick was not penalized on the play, but was rebuked at halftime by quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, who said he even considered pulling Vick from the lineup.

With Vick throwing two touchdown passes, the Hokies rallied for a 35-24 victory.

Coach Frank Beamer said he did not see the play and couldn't comment after the game, and he and Rogers did not return phone messages left at their offices Tuesday.

Weaver also did not return messages left at his home and office.

In his statement, Weaver said Vick's behavior was "unacceptable" and "not reflective of Virginia Tech football nor of the values we hold at Virginia Tech. I and my colleagues in central administration are embarrassed and this athletic administration will not condone such acts of unsportsmanlike conduct.

"We will review and assess this incident further and deal with it accordingly."

Weaver is big on sportsmanship. He forced the band to stop playing the "Goodbye Song" because he thought it was disrespectful to the other team. He will deal with this. And make no mistake, you won't find a single Hokie that will defend Marcus this time.

[quote

Vick was not penalized on the play, but was rebuked at halftime by quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, who said he even considered pulling Vick from the lineup.

With Vick throwing two touchdown passes, the Hokies rallied for a 35-24 victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

That tells the story right there, the initial reaction for a member of the coaching staff is to discipline the player. Obviously sportsmanship and doing the right thing was subordinate to the thought of losing.

who cares about this?i mean big deal its a contact sport and cheap shots are thrown all time,its just some get caught and most dont.what about this guy he stepped on?how many things do you think hes done and got away with?

Beamer should kick him out, with all the other thugs in Blacksburg.

On WVVA the news reporter was asking the VT players about their New Year Resolutions: Jimmy Williams said "To be a Millionare". These players don't care about the school and respect, all they care about is themselves.

By the way, VT is my team.

[ QUOTE ]

He never deserved to be in that posistion anyways... hes riding on his brothers reputation....he might as well enter the draft before the NFL sees what he really is..

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting point, by leaving for the draft now, he won't be forced to answer all of the questions surrounding his actions when next year rolls around in Blacksburg.

He isn't ready for the NFL. He has the tools but he doesn't handle pressure like his brother and he obviously has an attitude problem. He also appears to be uncoachable. Michael did everything asked of him including using his speed at the first sign trouble but Marcus won't do that. He wants to try and force the pass. When Mike was there the coaches designed the offense around his legs. He ran option and nearly every passing play was a roll-out or play-action. He never dropped straight back like Marcus does. I've blamed that on Stinespring's flawed strategy but maybe it's also partly due to Vick's stubbornness about being a pocket passer.

I know it won't happen, but my personal preference of how to deal with this situation would be to call "Strike Three" and dismiss Vick from the team. He's a cancer and an embarrassment. It's time for the Sean Glennon era to begin.

According to the LPD board, Vick will be getting a one game suspension. Of course, we'll have to wait and see on that, but I hope it isn't true. One game won't do anything to him, especially sitting out game like against Kent State(or Fresno State). It may be for the best if he were dismissed from the team, this would really be his "third strike", and remember they did say if he got in anymore trouble then it would all over for him...I wouldn't mind seeing Glennon start at qb for them next season.

i could care less about VT... but you all are rediculous. you all should go on Opera or Dr. Phil and cry into your 'lil panties about society and the big bad football players who try to win games. this isn't a big deal. get over yourselves... 'cuz last time i checked, none of you were perfect or could walk on water.

Are you kidding? It's a very big deal. Maybe you think it's ok to try and win by sticking a cleat into the calf of an opposing player but I do not. VT does not need the "Dirty" reputation of Miami and FSU. Vick needs to be punished severely.

What Marcus Vick did was very wrong and cheap but one thing that Tech remembers is that Micheal Vick is the most popular play to ever come from there and he donates alot of money im sure he doesnt approve of what Marcus did but I'm sure that Tech doesnt want to make Micheal mad either by kicking him off the team more than once.

Guest JJBrickface

If they dont take action based on that then that would be a very sad thing

i just think that people over react to things. it seems that everyone wants people to fail... as soon as any athlete does anything wrong - it's an immediate blow up. but i mean - really... how important is this? and i know this can be debated because of being a role model and such, but i don't remember this type of discussion over that LB from Ohio State last year that blatently choked the Perdue QB (i think it was Perdue). and that QB had to go out of the game. i just think that this would not be a big deal to any of you if this wasn't Marcus Vick. but since it is, and you all are just looking for any reason to burn him at the stake - then you scream bloody murder... and that you're outraged. i just think it's funny how people act... because i was watching the game, and i saw the play and i said it was wrong - but i also played for 12 years - and i know things like that happen in the moment and emotion of the game. it's not right - but pinching and grabbing and poking and kicking happens almost every game. if you don't believe it - i referee little league football games... come out and watch a game and i'll show you how many times it happens. GEEZ... i don't know how many times i've had some 4th or 5th grader come over to me crying and say - he pinched me..... maybe i'll get on here after every game and scream about how wrong it was and how they should punish the parents and kick that little kid off the team.... at least that's what it sounds like what you all want.

Atleast they pinch in the pile ups, this was on live television...Plain as day...Vick will never be his brother, hes just sitting on his reputation..how would you like it if you had a cleat jabbed in your arm, not to mention his weight...

didn't you hear me say i played for 12 years? so yeah - i've had that happen before... but it was on my hand where there is not as much to absorb... it was all concentrated. and instead of my whining and crying about it - i thumped his azz the rest of the game.....

this wasn't a violent STOMP from Vick. he could have done much worse.

I'm a Tech fan and I'm not looking to burn Vick at the Stake. I just want him to show some class on and off the field. I would much rather lose with class than win dirty. I'm not talking about pinching and poking at the bottom of the pile. That stuff happens in every game by every team. What Marcus did was despicable in my opinion. I'm sure he will issue a public apology but apologies lose their sincerity after the 3rd or 4th time.

now that was an intelligent post i can deal with... i agree that it was wrong and that something should be done, but when people start saying - kick him off the team, kick him out of football, take away his livelyhood... that's when i think it's rediculous.

[ QUOTE ]

didn't you hear me say i played for 12 years? so yeah - i've had that happen before... but it was on my hand where there is not as much to absorb... it was all concentrated. and instead of my whining and crying about it - i thumped his azz the rest of the game.....

this wasn't a violent STOMP from Vick. he could have done much worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly what i would have done instead of cry babied around about i wouldve made him pay for his so called tripping over me ha ha thats funny and so is this whole mess just because of his name he will go through this kinda stuff from now on.if i was him him i wouldnt apologize for nothing.i remember a couple of late hits on him this past season no penalties nothing and you didnt see him crying about it.i just dont think he did this for no reason,i would say he had been provoked by trash talking or some sort of contact that he was offended by.who knows what the reason was but if i had the arm of marcus if something was going on with this guy i wouldve dropped back and threw at his body with everything i had and everyone knows were to throw it at and it wouldve been a inc. pass i mean this stuff happens all the time you just dont hear about it.

you said it exactly right when you said it's because his name is Vick. and also, like you said, he gets late hits and cussed at and things thrown at him and done to him... but as soon as he shows he is human and does something in return - then people want him exiled. and ya know, i have no problem with that as long as those same people call it the same way for everyone else. demand that that LB from Ohio State be kicked off, or demand that the WVU fans not be allowed back into school or a game... be just as extreme with punishment for all and show no favorites because of name or status.

however, i believe people should get 2nd chances... and 3rd, and 4th, etc... i just do. because i know i've needed 2nd and 3rd and 4th chances... and like i said above, i'm pretty sure there are none on here that are perfect and have never needed a 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th, chance... i just get amused at how people are so quick to point the finger. i've been on the side of Randy Moss all along and believe he can do great things... God knows he's got the talent. i think the same of Marcus Vick, and everyone else.

I feel a person reguargless of who they are should learn from their mistakes and should be treated like everyone else.If an official saw him stomp that guy he should have been ejected.