Vick on his dismissal..."Not a big deal"...

GMan

Tech drops Vick from the team, Vick plans to go pro

By KYLE TUCKER, The Virginian-Pilot

© January 7, 2006

Marcus Vick’s football career at Virginia Tech ended at 4:49 p.m. Friday, when the university president, Charles Steger, released a statement that the star quarterback was dismissed from the team “due to a cumulative effect of legal infractions and unsportsmanlike play.”

Friday night, Vick told The Virginian-Pilot that he would turn professional.

“It’s not a big deal. I’ll just move on to the next level, baby” he said when spotted at a Virginia Beach restaurant.

Asked if that meant he would enter the NFL draft, he said, “Yeah, definitely.”

Those comments came after an emotional day. Virginia Tech’s football coach, Frank Beamer, met with the player and his mother, Brenda Boddie, as well as Vick’s attorney at about 4 p.m. and informed them of the decision.

“The meeting, it was emotional,” said the attorney, Larry Woodward. “It was not a fun meeting for anybody, but Marcus will look to the future, and we’ll have something on that tomorrow.”

Woodward said Vick, who just completed his junior season and was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference team, will make a written statement this afternoon. Meanwhile, Beamer, Steger and athletic director Jim Weaver are expected at a news conference this morning in Blacksburg.

In the university’s press release Friday, Beamer said, “I’m very disappointed that this didn’t have a better ending. We wanted what’s best for this football team and Marcus. I certainly wish him the best.”

A number of problems led to Vick’s departure from the team.

He was suspended for the entire 2004 season after being convicted of reckless driving, possession of marijuana and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Steger warned at the time that any return for Vick would be a “last-chance opportunity” and restated it Friday: “The university provided one last opportunity for Vick to become a citizen of the university … with the proviso that any future problems would result in automatic dismissal from the team.”

Vick, who grew up in Newport News where he was a standout at Warwick High School, returned to the Hokies last spring and took over as the starting quarterback in the fall. He led his team to an 11-2 season, including Monday’s Gator Bowl victory and a No. 7 ranking in the national polls.

But along the way, Vick made an obcene gesture to West Virginia fans during an Oct. 1 game, and, in the transgression that probably tipped the balance, stomped on the leg of an opponent, Louisville’s Elvis Dumervil, during the bowl game. By Friday, the negative reaction to Vick’s behavior still was news.

If that wasn’t enough, it was revealed Friday that on Dec. 17, Vick was stopped in Hampton for driving 38 in a 25 mph zone, according to police report. He also was charged with driving on a suspended license, which had been part of his 2004 sentence.

Friday afternoon, a secretary to Weaver, the athletic director, indicated that the school had recently been informed of the traffic incident.

Vick’s teammates got the news of his dismissal, for the most part, through the media. Aaron Rouse and Robert Parker called each other when they saw the report on television.

“I’m blown away. I’m hurt,” said Rouse, a graduate of First Colonial High in Virginia Beach who appointed Vick the godfather to his 2-year-old son, Isaiah. “I’m losing one of my best friends. It’s going to be tough, but we’ve got to learn from his mistakes and get back to what Virginia Tech is about, stay away from the negative. He’s going to be missed, though.”

As for Vick’s immediate future in the NFL, ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit said in October that the Hokie quarterback would be foolish to leave school early for the draft. “He needs more time, more experience,” Herbstreit said. “To me, it’s a no-brainer.”

Vick’s talents likely will be sorely missed next fall. He completed 61 percent of his passes for 2,393 yards, 17 touchdowns and 10 interceptions this season. He also ran for 380 yards and six touchdowns.

The four quarterbacks who remain in Virginia Tech’s program haven’t started a single college game . “Honestly, I think it’s kind of a harsh penalty, but the university did what they had to do,” Robert Parker said. “I personally think Marcus is a great guy. I love him. He’s my teammate and my friend. It’s just so unfortunate. He was a major, major contributor to our offense. An amazing athlete.

“Now we’re going to have to see what our younger guys can do. But it’s just like, 'Man, why did this happen?’ ”

Virginia Tech officials, who declined further comment until today’s news conference, may be asked that very question.

Reach Kyle Tucker at 757-446-2374 or at kyle.tucker@pilotonline.com

[ QUOTE ]

“It’s not a big deal. I’ll just move on to the next level, baby†he said when spotted at a Virginia Beach restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

That statement sums up the entire problem with Marcus Vick and why his wonderful talent will always be overshadow...

[ QUOTE ]

What about the Throckmorton kid from George Wythe? Does he have a chance to play QB now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if the four guys in front of him get hurt...

[ QUOTE ]

ok. the Whittaker kid is a running QB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whitaker can run, but he's more a passer than a runner. Here is Whitaker's profile from hokiesports.com. Notice the passing yards compared to rushing yards, which goes back to my first statement in this post.

A three-year starter for Coach Randy Trivers at Northwest ...

Passed for nearly 5,000 yards and 56 scores in his career, leading his team to a 30-6 record ...

Completed 157-of-262 passes his senior season for a school-record 2,586 yards and 28 touchdowns, throwing just 10 interceptions ...

Also ran for 432 yards and 10 scores his senior year ... Led his team to a 13-1 record and the Maryland 3A championship ...

Hit 20 of 27 passes for 207 yards with a touchdown and an interception in the championship game ...

Won the Art Monk Good Samaritan Offensive Player of the Year Award ...

Named first-team All-Met by The Washington Post ...

Named the Post's Offensive Player of the Year ...

Selected to the first-team All-Montgomery 3A/2A/1A team ...

Listed as the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback in the nation and the No. 3 player in the state of Maryland by rivals.com ...

Ranked the No. 5 quarterback in the nation and the No. 4 player in the Mid-Atlantic region by SuperPrep ...

Ranked the No. 8 quarterback in the nation by PrepStar ... Ranked the No. 16 quarterback in the nation and the No. 4 player in the state of Maryland by scout.com ...

Rated the No. 14 quarterback in the nation by collegefootballnews.com ...

Rated the No. 119 player in the nation and the No. 15 player in the Mid-Atlantic Coast by Tom Lemming's Prep Football Report ...

Ranked the No. 47 player on the East Hot 100 by scout.com ...

Listed an All-American by Tom Lemming's Prep Football Report ...

Named a postseason All-American by SuperPrep ...

A member of PrepStar's postseason Dream Team (top 100 in the nation), as well as an All-American and an All-Atlantic Region selection ...

Named a preseason All-American by SuperPrep and PrepStar ...