new football ratings scale for 2007

VHSLhelper

VHSL Exec. Committee meeting highlights from this week :

Finals for football & wrestling next school year - same places as this year.

New all-sports rule allows a school to play in 2 pre-season jamborees (jam must replace a scrimmage or benefit game) - effective immediately.

These start in the Fall of 2007 :

R&R committee's new set-up from last month was approved.

Expanded football playoffs. Any Region can add one playoff round in what would be the 12th week of the regular season. If done, the highest remaining seed will play the lowest remaining seed in the Reg. semis. (basically they re-seed)

New ratings scale. Eliminates the 1-point difference in Divisions within each Group & increases the value of a win. Changes points earned for losing to an opponent to :

4 for A, 8 for AA & 12 for AAA.

Each win is now worth 12 points.

Same bonus points as before - 2 for each win by a team you beat, 1 for each win by a team you lost to (must be a VHSL rating scale recognized opoponent - public school).

Here's a run down of the points each team was worth in 2005, followed by their 2007 value:

2005 , 2007

W/L

30/13, 34/15 - Carol - Div. 4, 7 wins

22/ 9 , 26/11 - Abing - Div. 4, 3 wins

35/15, 40/18 - Rich. - Div. 3, 10 wins

31/13, 36/16 - Grah. - Div. 3, 8 wins

27/11, 32/14 - Taze. - Div. 3, 6 wins

19/ 7 , 24/10 - Grun. - Div. 3, 2 wins

15/ 5 , 20/ 8 -example- Div. 3, 0 wins

30/11, 34/13 - Giles - Div. 2, 9 wins

22/ 7 , 26/ 9 - Blfd. - Div. 2, 5 wins

14/ 3 , 18/ 5 - Kelly - Div. 2, 1 wins

27/ 9 , 32/12 - Narz. - Div. 1, 8 wins

21/ 6 , 26/ 9 - Bland - Div. 1, 5 wins

15/ 3 , 20/ 6 - T.Val - Div. 1, 2 wins

This was designed to put an emphasis on winning. Notice in Div. 3 that a win over winless 'example' in 2005 was worth the same as a loss to undefeated Richlands.

In the new system, the win will be worth more than the loss.

An unexpected benefit is that we don't have to wait until Oct. to confirm which Div. an out of state school is.

Expanding the playoffs only opens the door for more sub .500 teams to make the post season. If you think the complaints are bad about that now, just wait and see what happens when 4 or 5 sub .500 teams make the playoffs in the same region...the crap will REALLY hit the fan then...

[ QUOTE ]

Extra games is still extra revenue. It may make things even more watered down than they already are, but if it can turn a profit, you can guarantee it'll be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of many folks that will turn out for a 10-0 team playing a 3-7 team in the first round of the playoffs. This happened a few years ago when Laurel Park played Graham in the first round of the Division 3 playoffs...Laurel Park may have had 50 spectators on their side and half of those weren't from Laurel Park and Graham's side was barely over half full. BTW, Graham set a school scoring record that night beating LP 65-18...a real "comptetitive" game once the ninth graders got to play.

As for turing a profit...I doubt it, especially with the price of fuel now. Adding an extra game may put some schools in a deeper hole than they already are and at best may only break even. Do any of you have any idea how much it costs just to take teams to games??? Its not cheap...

I wonder what would happen if, say, a 6th seeded team says something like, oh, 'we don't want to drive from Tunstall to Grundy'. Other than a forfeit, would someone issue some sort of penality or probation?

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder what would happen if, say, a 6th seeded team says something like, oh, 'we don't want to drive from Tunstall to Grundy'. Other than a forfeit, would someone issue some sort of penality or probation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's a good question! And, with certain administrators at certain schools, I can see this very thing happening at some point in the future.

I wasn't thinking of the schools making the profit, but more along the lines of the VHSL. You are correct, a half-filled stadium for a 10-0 vs 3-7 is bad for Graham/LP, but regardless of there (Graham/LP, for example) expense, does the VHSL not see a profit regardless?

In the case of a school not wanting to travel, would it be more likely that a forfeit would occur or would the VHSL step in and move the game to a neutral ground? Thoughts?

Yes, the VHSL would turn a profit. They get a good chunk of the admission. At this point, it has been left up to the different regions to decide on expansion. At this point, I think that most, if not all, would vote against it.

Moving to a neutral site would be worse.

Travel expenses would rise (the "home" team would need bus drivers and probably a road meal).

Plus, you'd prob. have to pay something to the host school.

And you'd prob. get fewer "home" fans turn out.

Since the VHSL is setting this thing so that each Region has "control" of the extra round, I can't see them stepping in.

I'm not sure of how the $$$ works, but expenses might be deducted from the gate before any $ goes to C'ville.

In the past 2 years, the following 9-1 teams did NOT make the playoffs:

Varina (AAA-Central), Orange (AA-II), George Wythe (A-C) & Haysi (A-D).

AAA-Eastern is all ga-ga over the new format, and AA-IV seems to be in favor of it, so I'd say we'll see AT LEAST half of the Regions using it.

I think it is a bad idea the beauty of high school football is a team must earn its way every week no bye weeks not to mention football season already cuts into basketball add an extra week? BAD idea

but its all about the$$$$$$

[ QUOTE ]

I think it is a bad idea the beauty of high school football is a team must earn its way every week no bye weeks not to mention football season already cuts into basketball add an extra week? BAD idea

but its all about the$$$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not "adding" a week...the length of the season will remain the same from first game to Championship game. What they are saying is adding another week of playoff games, leaving only one OPEN week during the season instead of two.

And besides, who gives a crap about basketball????