Edwards to call it quits (mville bulletin)

mhsalum

Edwards to call it quits

By MATT BECKER

Bulletin Sports Writer

When Taylor Edwards took command of the Bulldogs' sideline 28 years ago, few could have envisioned the success he would have. The Martinsville football coach amassed 196 wins, 11 district titles, seven regional titles and a state championship in 1988. The Bulldogs also finished as state runners-up twice during his tenure.

On Tuesday, Edwards announced that the 2006 season will be his final season at the helm for the Bulldogs.

"It's something I've been thinking about for the past few years," he said. "This wasn't something I decided all of a sudden. I've been thinking about it, and it felt like it was time to make a change."

Edwards informed Martinsville Athletic Director Bill Scheib and Principal Tom Fitzgibbons on Tuesday morning, then told his team at a meeting later in the afternoon.

Fitzgibbons said that despite some initial disappointment, he was both happy for Edwards and appreciative of his timing.

"I'm excited for him because I know he has a lot of hobbies and other things he'd like to pursue, and now he'll get to," Fitzgibbons said. "And it's also one of the classier things to do, to tell us this far in advance and give us time to find a replacement.

"It's going to be strange (in 2007) to look down on the field and not see him standing there in his shorts, regardless of the weather."

Fitzgibbons also said he would like Edwards to play a role in finding a replacement.

Scheib also was sad to hear of Edwards' decision, but he said he was grateful for having known him.

"When God created a football coach, he created Taylor Edwards," Scheib said. "It's been a privilege and an honor to work with him."

While the decision was not an easy one, Edwards said coaching had taken its toll on him over the years, and he felt it was a good time to move on.

"I'm 58, I'll be 59 in November, and I feel like I've had a good run," he said. "Being a head coach, you have to be involved in everything. It takes a lot of energy."

Edwards said the timing of his decision was based on his concern for the team's well-being.

"I thought it was best to get this out front and give the powers that be enough time to find a replacement," he said. "I didn't want to leave a bare cupboard here."

Hey mhsalum...

Is Edwards catching any "heat" for his teams not being the "top dogs" in Henry Co.? With the consolidations, its awful tough for Martinsville to contend against schools with several hundred more students...is he getting out while the getting is good?

i wouldn't say that's necessarily the case...taylor's been taking heat from the often fair-weather bulldog fans for years! you win 7 or 8 games every year for nearly 25 years...never having a losing season for that same time period and some people still can't be happy. although i guess the 5-5 and 4-6 seasons haven't helped things as of late. also, i would guess seeing some of the talent we've had come through here it's kind of a tough pill to swallow that he only coached one team to a state title...and unfortunately that's sometimes how true success is measured. ***the teams of 1998-2000 may have very well won titles had they been in d3 where they belonged and not had to run up against salem***. (you can't live on 'what ifs' though)

this wasn't a very big breaking news story to me; i knew it was coming. of course i've got pretty good sources in and around mhs athletics. the other district foes getting bigger and better certainly haven't helped things, but i wouldn't say they've caused any more heat than he was already used to catching. the varsity team should be fairly stocked this year with returnees and the jayvee team was pretty dominant a year ago, so he's not leaving the next man empty handed.....it should be interesting to see the interest in the position once he's gone...kinda like how crazy it'll probably be once the basketball head coaching position is vacated...

and you heard it here first...taylor will go out in his final season as piedmont district champs.

I've heard rumors that Carlisle is going to start a football program in 09, could it be that Edwards is setting himself up for the job. Dick Hensley was headmaster at Carlisle for a while and he and Edwards go way back. With Edwards experience and knowledge of the game he would be a good choice to get a new football program off the ground.

i haven't heard that about carlisle....and it can't be true at this point simply for the reason that they don't have enough students to pull it off. as far as i know carlisle still only has in the area of 50 total boys (at the very most) in the 9th thru 12th grades....and most of those just plain and simply aren't the football playing type. from what i hear, the average carlise tuition paying parent is tired of footing the bill for the so-called carlisle recruits anyways (ask around xdog and see what the yearly cost of tuition is at carlisle - i'll bet that you will be very, very surprised...or shocked!)...so basically what i mean is that i'm guessing that the kids that have left the public schools in the past to play basketball at carlisle is not gonna happen as much as it has lately. just my opinion.

I heard the Carlisle rumor from a friend who is going to send his boy there. And he said they are considering starting a team in 09. I think they have more students than you might think. I'll bet Carlisle has 300 to 400 students in 9th-12. Any idea who might take Edwards place or who would be a good candidate for the job? I always thought Bobby Dalton might make a good coach.

i wouldn't know for sure, but i think 400 students is a tremendous stretch. they used to have 20-30 students per grade. i realize they have more students now, but i wouldn't think it's more than 40-45 per class now which would put them in the area of 175 students....and roughly half of those would be female and another large part are the kind of kids i mentioned before that simply aren't football playing types. (trying to say that nicely). however, i've always thought it was only a matter of time before carlisle tried to field a football team....either way, it'll be interesting to follow....and as far as replacements for coach edwards...i think both bobby dalton and kelvin jackson both might be interested as far as in-house guys. although coach jackson might prefer the head basketball job instead.

[ QUOTE ]

as far as replacements for coach edwards...i think both bobby dalton and kelvin jackson both might be interested as far as in-house guys. although coach jackson might prefer the head basketball job instead.

[/ QUOTE ]I've heard several people say that Martinsville Off.Line coach Bill Schieb would be good for the head coaching job. I don't know much about him do you? I just hope they get someone who will energize the program again.

i would doubt he's a candidate...first of all he just recently moved to va within the last few years. more importantly, he's as old...if not older...than coach edwards is. i'm sure loads of people will apply.