teaching and coaching

zack

when willis white left salem after 2003 season, their was a big change in the sense that white had been there so long. most of the assistant coaches stayed at salem that had been there so long with white but there were some changes. john hinkle left and coaches defense , first at craig county and then last year his first year at glenvar as defensive coordinator. this year, fred wagner, the offensive line coach for salem, left to become a part of the staff at glenvar. glenvar used to be a part of salem when salem was first formed until salem broke apart for political reasons from the roanoke county school system. glenvar high school and middle school is probably only about 4 miles from salem high school. wagner will be teaching at salem and coaching at glenvar. after this happened salem city made a new rule that you could not teach at salem and coach at another school system, or vise versa. the rule was grandfathered to allow those currently in that category to continue, including wagner. i dont see where this would be a problem with salem and glenvar because they are not direct competitors but there are other schools that are close, hidden valley, cave spring, norhside, william fleming, patrick henry, william byrd,lord bototourt, where this could pose a problem. what do you think? the coaching staff at glenvar has head coach and former player under white lee johnson, former salem player david redding and former salem coaches john hinkle and fred wagner.

Only situation I know of where somebody taught at one school and coached at another was the tenure of the great Tim "Chappy" Rasnick as golf coach at Richlands. If I'm not mistaken, he was teaching in Tazewell at the time. And if I am mistaken, there probably isn't anyone who really cares that much anyway.

My first thought is that you don't really need a rule stating that you can't coach at one school and teach at another. IMO, an individual would have to be seriously unbalanced to do something like that, anyway.

Here at Matewan High our football coach teaches at Burch High, assistant football coach teaches at Matewan Elementary, boys basketball coach teaches at Burch High, baseball coach teaches at Matewan Elementary, assistant girls basketball coach teaches at Delbarton Elementary and cheerleading coach teaches at Matewan Middle....this happens alot in our county...

[ QUOTE ]

Here at Matewan High our football coach teaches at Burch High, assistant football coach teaches at Matewan Elementary, boys basketball coach teaches at Burch High, baseball coach teaches at Matewan Elementary, assistant girls basketball coach teaches at Delbarton Elementary and cheerleading coach teaches at Matewan Middle....this happens alot in our county...

[/ QUOTE ]

Pardon my ignorance, but do Burch and Matewan play each other? Assuming that they do, that seems like it could be a bit prickly for your football coach.

It's not unusual for coaches to teach at other schools within the same attendance district. Such as RHS hoops coaches Jack Lyons and Reggie Blevins who were on the faculty at Richlands Elementary and Richlands Middle, respectively.

But it is unusual (at least in Tazewell County) for individuals to coach a team in one attendance district while teaching in another one.

In Bedford County, there are certain coaches who aren't even employed by the school system. I'd be interested to know who many other places have situations like that.

• 2 weeks later...