VHSL RATINGS JUST RELEASED 11-6-06

Howdyfans

THE VHSL WEBSITE JUST RELEASED THE RATINGS AFTER THIS PAST WEEKENDS GAMES. DIVISION 2 SHOWS PV AND HAYSI BOTH WITH AN 18.0 AVERAGE. HONAKER WILL BE A #3 SEED IN THE PLAYOFFS WITH A 15.6, CLINTWOOD WILL BE A #4 WITH A 14.9.

HAYSI HAS ONE GAME REMAINING (GRUNDY). IF HAYSI WINS THE GRUNDY GAME THEY SHOULD BE THE #1 SEED WITH PV BEING #2. BUT IF THEY HAPPEN TO LOSE, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF PV WILL BE #1 AND IF IT WILL PUT HAYSI AT #2???

I'M NOT FOR SURE WHO WILL END UP #1 OR #2, BUT EITHER WAY THEY WILL BOTH PLAY AT HOME IN THE FIRST ROUND. THE SECOND ROUND WHICH WILL BE FOR THE REGION D TITLE WILL BE PLAYED AT UVA WISE THIS YEAR. BOTH DIVISION 2 AND DIVISION 1 REGIONAL TITLE GAMES WILL BE PLAYED AT UVA WISE THIS YEAR FOR A DOUBLE HEADER.

I think thats total baloney that the Region D finals got moved to UVA-Wise. What if Honaker and Haysi or Haysi and Clintwood wind up in the finals and want the site played at the highest seed like is what should be done in the first place?

The game should be played on the field of the team with the highest seed. Who wants to play on turf? I cant think of many who would. Look at most colleges and Pro football fields turff is being ripped out and replaced!!! Enough said, If it takes turf to make you fast...then stick to track. Football is played on the real play ground of pain, the good old dirt and grass. I pitty your thought process for wanting to play the game on a field other than the higher seeds, next thing you will be saying we should not be playing any playoff games west of Roanoke. Dont give up your given right to play at home!!!!!

I don't like the idea of these games being played at UVA-Wise either. It should be done the way that always has been. I'm not exactly for sure, but I'm thinking that this will not be done for next season. Just this year. GO FIGURE???? And really I never liked the idea of the state finals being played at JMU. I know that it can even out travel time, but if a team has made it that far they deserve to play on their home field. It needs to be rotated like times past. REGION A OR B (hosts 1 year), then REGION C OR D (hosts the next). I'm thinking that's the way it use to be. Does anyone out there think that it should be the way that it use to be?????

I agree that the field condition is the issue, and from what I understand more and more teams in this area are installing field turf in the next few years. Looks like the old days of playing in the mud are slowly coming to an end! I think that will be a shame.

Phil Robbins has pulled another fast one on the region. LPD schools out voted the other schools. Who has all the speed? Who has all the crappy fields? Who did not want to go back to Haysi? If I was a betting man, Powell Valley and JI Burton just punched their ticket to the semi-finals. (unless the woody"s can pull off two miracles)

If the principals are more concerned about the dollar, then why on earth did they move the playoff games? Lets say, next season the finals are Virginia High vs Gate City. Which game is going to get a higher gate? A game played @ Bristol or Gate City or a game played @ Wise? There would be a high attendance at a regional final no matter where it is played, but if two schools near each other are both having to travel an hour or an hour and a half away, then thats probably going to lower attendance a little bit.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't like the idea of these games being played at UVA-Wise either. It should be done the way that always has been. I'm not exactly for sure, but I'm thinking that this will not be done for next season. Just this year. GO FIGURE???? And really I never liked the idea of the state finals being played at JMU. I know that it can even out travel time, but if a team has made it that far they deserve to play on their home field. It needs to be rotated like times past. REGION A OR B (hosts 1 year), then REGION C OR D (hosts the next). I'm thinking that's the way it use to be. Does anyone out there think that it should be the way that it use to be?????

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be done next year and it has already been voted on. From what I have learned Gate City and Va High are the only ones that voted NOT TO GO to Wise for Region D Football Championships!

Are you kidding, Bullitt Park (where Powell Valley plays) has one of the best fields in the entire region, class A and class AA. Great turf and has a good crown to it. So you can't say that a crappy field is the issue with Phil when PV always has a very good chance at being the #1 seed every year, which would put them on their home field for the regionals. I know that Phil is just pro-neutral site. Especially after having to travel 13 hours back in 1995 across the Chesapeake Bay. Not that it really mattered, with the outcome of the game. They won big anyway. But I think more and more principals and coaches are just beginning to consider how hard this can be on the kids and families. Also with less travel time, you are less likely to be in an accident of some sort. This is what they look at as well. We've got to remember that these kids are in their hands, which plays a big part in why. 4 to 5 hrs is better than 13.

Yeah I can remember when football was played barefooted. Who cares. So you drove 13 hours and won a game in 1995, pat yourself on the back and eat a cookie. In 2005 Phil went to Haysi and lost(more recent). The once King of the Lonesome Pine is now a mortal like all other teams. The single A schools are getting more parity in that area, so I have to give you credit to want to play on a neutral field because your lock on getting the #1 seed year after year is a thing of the past. With all of Phil's infinite wisdom why was the thought to play on a neutral field not any earlier. I'll tell you because he was the #1 seed. Quit your crying and go play Haysi at Haysi. Belly up to the #1 and do what "you think" you can do! It's High School Football, no one has the perfect field. Go back to putting your model of Bullet Park back together, because the fumes from the glue is affecting your brain.

be the #1 seed and dont worry about.of course i am from giles, who has a 2-0 record at haysi. but you should not worry about where you play.just play the game. if you are worried about weather conditions play b-ball.