Martinsville vs Basset

go4st8

Amazing. The rivalry is going to be unbelievably intense! I absolutely can not wait until 1pm Saturday for this showdown. You never know what to expect when these two teams meet in any sport. Congrats to both teams on a great season. I am sure all us fans will get more than our money's worth at this game. I will only hate to see one teams seniors play their final game. The PD players have proven how much athletic talent exsits in our little part of the state!

Is the game Sat. or Friday. Heard at the game they were playing Sat. at 1 but the paper said today Friday. Should be a good one but if it's played Sat. I don't think the crowd will be as big as it could be. Hope security is better than the last game too! Oh by the way it's Bassett, not Basset.

an excerpt from the bulletin

The Bulldogs ran for almost 400 yards on their way to a 32-7 rout over the visiting Cavaliers in the Region IV semifinals. The win earned Martinsville a spot in the Region IV Championship against rival Bassett next Saturday at 1 p.m.

i wished it was friday night since i'm seriously considering a trip to boone saturday afternoon instead. go bulldogs...and chanticleers!!!

Didn't see the Bulletin,read in the Roanoke paper that it was Friday(where they also said that the Dogs were playing MV next). I know that you are a big Chants fan but do they have anything at all for Appy State?? It's going to be a tough game for the boys from the beach IMO!!

they got us 30-3 in boone a year ago...although the beach boys were coming down off a major upset of the defending champion jmu dukes and never really got off the bus. should be a bit diff't this time. the chants offense is explosive...they can score on almost anyone. problem is the defense sometimes can't even stop the practice squad. app is definitely the favorite, but i wouldn't count out the chanticleers. the good news is that the game is on espnu after the bulldogs game, so i could see both.............anyways, now back to mhs...go dogs!

i heard a rumor...may or not be true...i was eating lunch at a fine eating establishment on the south end of the city limits today and halfway overheard someone mentioning that grades had come out a few days ago and the running back for bassett was gonna be ineligible. heard anything of that sort?

The county adopted new eligibility requirements this year based on grading periods. If you heard this there may be some truth to it but don't hold your breath on him not playing,he will probably do some phantom make-up work and suddenly be able to play!!

Don't be so touchy ProudBengal,just a little joking between me and mhsalum. I'm not a BHS or Mavahi fan,just a pdfan, but I wish both of you alot of luck this weekend. And to whoever wins good luck against either Salem or Amherst the following weekend,I've seen them both in person and the Reg.4 winner will have their hands full. But that's why they play the games,you just don't know what will happen!!

Not being touchy, just trying to join in. You are right, whoever comes out of Region IV will definitely have their work cut out for them. Everyone else has crowned the winner of Salem/Amherst the state champ again, but anything is possible. It would be nice for Region IV to get some "respect" back from the other areas of the state, but I realize that we have to earn it. Like u said, u never know.

oh and as far as the rumor i mentioned...it seems it may be worse than i originally heard. a family member around our thanksgiving table told that a teacher from bassett informed them that there were 5 kids that have been ruled ineligible b/c of grades. still just rumor at this point i guess...but it's odd that i've heard the same sort of thing twice from two entirely different sources. i guess we shall see come saturday afternoon....mhs has played the last few games and will play the rest of their season without their starting fb/de because of injury.

well....last thing i'll say on this b/c the bulletin just printed it and removed all doubt. my first post was correct...starting tailback martin scales is out because of academic problems. they didn't mention any other players, so i guess he's the only one. that's a tough blow b/c he's a starter, but they've got several other athletes that can fill those shoes.

Keep in mind that he is still eligible under VHSL rules. It's Henry County's new academic policy that has come into play. Don't agree with it, but you have to follow policy. I hope that this will be the last that you mention this; Martin is a fine young man that is suffering because of what has transpired.

ha! get over yourself man...i'm not trying to run him down here. i don't know the young man. if you say he's a good kid then i believe you. all i know is he's academically ineligble to play right from coach gilbert's mouth...you know how i know that??? the bulletin mentioned him by name!!! i just passed on the info here. it's factual, pertinent info. maybe you should change your name to thin-skinnedTOOproudbengal.

Believe me, I've got plenty of thick skin, since I've lived around the Martinsville area my whole life. Since you decided to post on this situation on three different occasions, felt the need to respond. Yes you did get it from the mouth of Coach Gilbert, and yes "it's factual, pertinent info.". There were 4 others that were ruled academically ineligible by Henry County's new policy. Would you like to get into a discussion about them also? Interested to see if the shoe was on the other foot, how it would have been handled. Typical response from a typical Bulldog fan. Trust me, whatever happens tomorrow there will be no excuses on our end; what about yours???

nope, no excuses...we'll just roll out the basketballs and hit the hardwood to try to win some games same as ya'll. i don't think either one of us have a whole lot for amherst next weekend, but that's why they play the games. good luck today! hopefully it'll be a good, clean game

p.s.-good to see that my family member came up with the true facts! :-)