all-swd girls

littlraskul

co-poy: jenny keene (richlands) jessi watts (carroll co.)

1st team

allie hunter (tazewell)

jenny keene (richlands)

samantha rice (grundy)

kristen roberts (graham)

jessi watts (carroll co)

2nd team

courtney edwards (carroll co)

chelsea gallinger (graham)

maggie jones (graham)

ashton morrow (richlands)

sydney webb (carroll co)

coy: tracy wyatt (graham)

congratulations on a great season, ladies!

kinda funny that kayla roberts started over kristen the whole first half of the season and some of the second half... i think they both shoulda been in the game at the same time more cause they hardly ever was and it prob would have helped some i think...

kristen started like the last dozen games, kayla started at the beginning because kristen was still recovering from a blown ACL, and having both on the floor at the same time would probably have been more bad than good due to lack of speed

[ QUOTE ]

kristen started like the last dozen games, kayla started at the beginning because kristen was still recovering from a blown ACL, and having both on the floor at the same time would probably have been more bad than good due to lack of speed

[/ QUOTE ]

which the last dozen is the last half of the season... and actually when they were out at the same time it helped quit a bit in the games that i seen... they arent a fast team anyways and not to many district teams push the ball up court quick in girls basketball so it would of been fine, plus kayla and kristen both got up the court just as fast as everyone else...

haha i was just sayin it helped them alot in the games i seen, im not sayin it was a bad decision by not having them in, i just said they worked pretty good together when they were in and that i would of liked to seen them in at the same time more, ive heard a lot of people say they would of liked to seen it to... plus last time i checked this was an opinion board right?????

[ QUOTE ]

i think they both shoulda been in the game at the same time more cause they hardly ever was and it prob would have helped some i think...

[/ QUOTE ]

i tend to disagree, for many reasons. here's my main one, though: all the other teams in the district didn't have near the height graham had this season, and therefore, were forced to played smaller lineups. at best, swd teams had maybe one true post player.

let's pretend both twins are in a game. if the g-girls go to a man defense or a pressure defense, that's an instant mismatch, with a 6-footer on a 5'5"ish guard-type player. having both roberts girls in at the same time is clearly a defensive liability. i could see one roberts and lawrence, because lawrence is more agile and quicker. but, clearly, that didn't work out so well, either.

also, it's not like graham was a "feed the ball to the post" kind of team. why? most of the points produced by the twins was on putbacks, not out of a set offense (although they both could hit a midrange jumper once in a while). having both of them in is overkill on the boards--clearly, one was doing just fine. also, if you were to put both in, who would you have taken out? smith, perhaps? certainly not gallinger, jones, or spade.

It is a shame that Carroll didn't get but one player in the top 5. Coach Motley should have been Coach of The Year. It sound like Graham had more talent. Watts should have been outright player of the year. Keene is a nice player but her team finish fourth in a the worst AA league in the State

[ QUOTE ]

It is a shame that Carroll didn't get but one player in the top 5. Coach Motley should have been Coach of The Year. It sound like Graham had more talent. Watts should have been outright player of the year. Keene is a nice player but her team finish fourth in a the worst AA league in the State

[/ QUOTE ]

although i do agree that watts deserved poy outright, i tend to disagree with you on a couple of points. all in all, i think the coaches got first team right. i'm assuming that you feel that either sydney webb or courtney edwards deserved a nod for carroll. neither of them were consistent enough, imo. webb would shoot the lights out of the gym one night, then be an offensive non-factor for the next 2 or 3 games. edwards definitely could have been, but she was underutilized, i think, and should definitely have gotten the ball more.

coach motley did a nice job with the girls, no doubt; they weren't given much of a chance at the beginning of the season. however, i think coach wyatt did more with less. and by less, i mean fewer quality athletes. yes, graham had height, but height doesn't necessarily translate into super-productivity. motley's girls won the district, but wyatt's girls were competitive for the first time in nearly 30 years. that's quite the accomplishment.

weakest aa district in the state? idk about that, but the swd certainly isn't a very deep district. fwiw, it's even worse in volleyball and most other girls' sports...minus softball, maybe. things should be interesting with the addition of the two highlands teams next year. clearly, i'm looking forward to that.

Good Points. I think at the distirct champ you either win because of the coach of the year or the player of the year. Carroll co only get co-player of the year. Graham who finish tied for first lost to Bland Co out of the Mountain Empire(very weak single-A league) and Bland didn't even make the play-offs. Only Graham and Carroll had records over .500. Carroll played a pretty strong schedule with Floyd Co. Radford, and East Surry,NC with losses to all of the schools by 15 points or more. I think Abingdon will make the league tougher. Marion is not the program it was in the 1990's.

you must remember, though, that graham lost minimally to bland, and that loss was early in the season. the second game, i believe, was cancelled due to weather. if we're playing that game, carroll was trounced by patrick co, who didn't make regionals out of the piedmont, so...

fort chiswell was a solid little team this year, particularly until samani went down with an acl.

it's hard to schedule quality opponents around here because a.) there aren't many, and the ones that do exist are trying to play up to make their teams better and b.) single a schools are looking to fill their schedules as well. and, from an athletic director's point of view, closer destinations are more cost-efficient/travel budget friendly, not to mention that they tend to bring in higher gates due to travelling fans. carroll fills in with nearby single a schools, too. it's just that floyd and radford usually happen to be more competitive than, say, bland or twin valley.

i'd also say graham didn't have many "power" teams on their schedule because they haven't been competitive for nearly ever, so why schedule games that are destined to be blowouts? remember, schedules are typically made at least a year in advance.

the swd is weak, no doubt, but i'm not crowning them just yet. i'm sure there are also some weak aa districts on the other end of the state.

But you look at the top 10 and Carroll got three and Graham got three but Carroll only got Co-player of the year were Graham got right outright Coach of the Year.Carroll did win the conference in a playoff. My problem is with Watts being CO-player of the year. Carroll also plays in a tough Christmas torunament against two teams that could both end-up winning the SWD. Pulaksi is tough and Patrick Co may not have made the play-offs but they could have finish one or two in the SWD. Look at what the SWD went 0-2 against the Peidmont in the play-offs. I think that Graham just played who ever the AD could find. I do know that Graham plays Blacksburg and Pulaki in football. Bottom line Watts should have been outright player of the year. Her team won the distirct and she was their leader.

And it is my understanding that Watts was not listed as the number 1 co player of the year fromt he SWD -- Keene was -- which means Keene automatically makes 1st team all region and Watts will have to be voted on by the Region IV coaches which gets a vote -- the top two finishing teams from the 3 districts.

[ QUOTE ]

And it is my understanding that Watts was not listed as the number 1 co player of the year from the SWD -- Keene was

[/ QUOTE ]

your understanding is correct. when your tiebreaking vote goes to a coach of a tazewell county school and a tc player is one of the co-poy's up for a vote...think about it.

[ QUOTE ]

Well at least one of the Tazewell County coaches understands loyalty --

[/ QUOTE ]

in one post of yours on another thread, you speak of how voting should be unbiased, and on this one, you play the loyalty card. you can't have it both ways. either a coach is fair and objective, voting for the best players regardless of which uniform they put on and play in, or they vote based on which coaches they're friends with and which schools they like more than others and which coach's vote they may need to have in their back pocket for upcoming years.

what you mean is that everyone should be fair and objective as long as they see things your way. then, if they don't happen to agree with you, loyalty rules. that, my friend, is called being hypocritical.

What was Tazewll and Richlands record this year? I don't think they won more than 14 games together. Carroll won that many by themselves. Winning should one of major factors in selecting all-distirct not loylaty to school system

it's a fine line you're walking if you go that route, bcram. while a team's success certainly should be somewhat of a mental factor in determining which players are better than others, it shouldn't be an automatic, imo.

for example:

although i don't believe jenny keene deserves co-poy, i definitely think she deserves to be first team all-swd over carroll's webb and edwards, as does hunter.

true, great players find ways to win games, but there's not one single girls player in this area that can carry an entire team on her back for the whole season.

in the end, the only people being hurt by political stuff at postseason meetings are the players, not the coaches. it is a shame, though, when a coach has a personal problem with coaches from other schools and "screws over" those coaches' players come voting time.

Why won't anybody answer the question of how many win Richlands and Tazewell have? How about the player from Grundy? I just have a problem when you win the district and you only get one player in the top five in a five team district. I agree withur last point about Coaches who screw over kids that is a shame.

here it is in simple math: Buchanan County 1 vote, Carroll County 1 vote, Tazewell County 3 votes. Do the math, and it is a simple answer to how. Get over it, and worry about something you have control of.

"here it is in simple math: Buchanan County 1 vote, Carroll County 1 vote, Tazewell County 3 votes. Do the math, and it is a simple answer to how. Get over it, and worry about something you have control of." No Ole wave I'm aloud to express my opinion you don't have to like it but I'm going to say it whether you like it or not. Remember the first Amendment to the consitution.