Bluefield/Summers Co. game dicussion

bluefieldRocks

BLUEFIELD  A week ago, the Summers County girls basketball team dashed Bluefield’s hopes of a trip to the Class AA state tournament.

The Beaver boys don’t plan on allowing the Bobcats to do the same to them.

Bluefield (20-3) will play Summers County (14-9) tonight in the Region VII championship game at Princeton High School. Tip-off is slated for 7:30 p.m. The winner advances to the state tourney next week in Charleston, while the loser prepares for baseball season.

“This is what you work all season long for is to be in a position to compete in the state tournament and have an opportunity to compete for a state title,†Bluefield head coach Ernie Gilliard said. “We’re right where we wanted to be based on our preseason goals, but the only thing that matters is what we do tomorrow night.

“If we come out and we execute and we play defense with the intensity that we did with James Monroe in the sectional championship, then I like our chances.â€Â

While Bluefield rolled past the Mavericks 73-43 to win its sectional, the Bobcats defeated Liberty-Raleigh 49-29 and thumped Independence 59-44 to do the same. Summers County did it without Andrew Gunnoe, a 24-plus points per game scorer who suffered a season-ending broken hand on Feb. 9 during a game at Meadow Bridge.

Summers County (14-9) has been 4-2 without Gunnoe, who Bobcats’ head coach James Payne said has been called by some ‘the best Class AA player in West Virginia.’

“These kids are very focused. When Gunnoe got hurt, I wasn’t sure we could win the sectional, but my assistant coaches said we had enough talent to win the sectional without him,†Payne said. “They were right.

“They have elevated their game now that Gunnoe is hurt. Our upside is not as great without having him, but it was a great opportunity for other players to come to the forefront and see what they can do.â€Â

That’s what the ‘Cats have done, and Gilliard has noticed. With Gunnoe, Bluefield defeated Summers County 76-35 and 64-49 during the season, but Gilliard is still concerned about the Beavers’ next opponent.

“Losing a kid like Gunnoe will either do one of two things, it will shut you down completely or it will help you develop a little more balance, and they’ve done the latter of the two,†Gilliard said. “They’ve developed a little more balance in their team. They’ve got kids stepping up.â€Â

While Bluefield is led by senior guard Dexter Moore and junior pivotman Ansel Ponder, the Bobcats have leaned on shooting guard Mark Stiltner, point guard Cameron Mann, the 6-foot-5, 215-pound Chance Worth and designated shooter Nick Dent since the departure of Gunnoe.

“Nobody wants to lose a kid the caliber of Gunnoe,†Gilliard said. “However, what has happened is the kids have rallied around their coaching staff there and they have a lot of balance now so they’ll be a tougher team to defend.â€Â

Gilliard said his Beavers  who have also received significant contributions from Shaun Brooks, Kyle Hammond, Justin Harris, Chance Cottrell and Turquan Casey  will try do try to what they always do.

“We won’t change what we do, we’re still going to do what Bluefield does,†Gilliard said. “We’re going to come out and try to create an up-tempo fast pace and see if we can get some transition baskets and get it in our comfort zone so we’ll be fine.â€Â

That isn’t what Summers County wants. Without Gunnoe, the Bobcats have played a more deliberate game. They shot the ball just 31 times in the win over Independence, but made 20 of those.

“We just play our game, and we have played pretty well since he went out,†Payne said. “We’re a lot different. We aren’t scoring as many points and we’re a little more deliberate...

“We’re not taking as many shots, and that’s not to say we’re not trying to score. We are trying to score ... This is the deal. You’ve got to be patient against Bluefield. We’re not going to hold the ball, we’re going to play. We also realize when we shoot, it’s gone. We may not get it back again.â€Â

Bluefield, currently ranked second in the state to Wyoming East, has lost three games this season by a total of four points. Since a one-point overtime loss Oak Hill Academy on Feb. 10, the Beavers have won six straight, including a 24-point win over Logan, a five-point decision against Princeton and a pair of defeats of Mount View by a combined 30 points.

“I think that is growth and maturity, the kids are really growing,†Gilliard said. “The biggest area that we’re growing is in our mental focus and our mental preparation. We’re developing a deeper understanding of things that’s necessary to be successful and they’re really buying into it.â€Â

Bluefield has met Summers County four times in the regionals, winning all four. Payne knows it would be an upset, but anything can happen in a basketball game.

“I can’t control how high Ansel Ponder can jump, but we can control how hard we can play and we can control what kind of shots we take,†Payne said. “Our emphasis is we have to control what we can control and understand there are some things Bluefield does that we can’t control.

“We can play with intensity and play hard. We can control those things, but that’s all me and our players can do.â€Â

Bluefield made quick work of the Mavericks in last Wednesday’s sectional title game, using an 18-2 run to take a 30-11 lead into the break. Gilliard hopes for the same kind of effort tonight.

“If we come out and we have the mental focus and play with the energy and intensity that we played with in our sectional championship, I really like our chances,†he said.

Bluefield 58, Summers County 41 - FINAL

Dexter Moore had 14 points, Shaun Brooks added 13, and Ansel Ponder chipped in with 10. The play of the game was a beautiful halfcourt alley-oop from Dexter to Ansel for the slam as the first quarter ended. The Beavers refused to cut down the nets following the game. The only net they want is next Saturday afternoon in Charleston.

[ QUOTE ]

is blufield in the state now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. They play next Thursday in Charleston, but who and when they play won't be revealed until later. Although, Bluefield will most likely be the #2 seed in AA, which means they'll play the #7 seed at 1pm on Thursday.

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield 46, Summers County 29 -- End of 3rd

According to the radio Dexter Moore, Ansel Ponder, and most of the other starters didn't play a single minute of the quarter.

[/ QUOTE ] yep thats true, the JV guys like craig ponder, marcus patterson, warren furrow, tre baker played a lot from the 2nd qtr. on

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

na...you watched the wrong channel...Did you see me with the mullet on and the huge sun glasses on? hahaha

I think you may have watched channel 4...Channel 5 didnt show our student section

[/ QUOTE ]

I see where wvva.com added a sensational 6 video that is suppose to have a dunk from Bluefield but I cant see it, It wont work!!

[ QUOTE ]

na...you watched the wrong channel...Did you see me with the mullet on and the huge sun glasses on? hahaha

I think you may have watched channel 4...Channel 5 didnt show our student section

[/ QUOTE ]ohhh haha yeah..i think i was...and yeah i did see you..i thought it was you but wasn't for sure..kinda blurry that night i met you haha

1. Wyoming East

2. Bluefield

3. logan

4. Lincoln

5. Winfield

6. Magnolia

7. Petersburg

8. Oak Hill

Thats what i think the final 8 seeds will look like

which means bluefield would play petersburg, then the winner of logan magnolia...

Bluefield hasnt played Wyoming East this season. They played last year in the coal classic and we got hosed big time..

Bluefield has lost 3 games. 1 to logan, 1 to oak hill, and 1 to westside i want to say...

they've lost those 3 games by a combined 4 points...So we could have very well been undefeated headed up to charleston. But in the long run, playing 3 games in 3 nights actually helps us out.