region 4 and scheduling

zack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to me this will be real interesting because will christiansburg and other teams schedule single a teams like they have been doing because this could hurt them come playoff time.the way i see it is there will be 3 districts in region 4 division 4 with all having division 3 teams , the river ridge only having 1 in cave spring.

magna vista and bassett out of the piedmont

abingdon and carrol county out of southwest

pulaski,blacksburg,salem,hidden valley and christiansburg out of river ridge.

4 teams out of these nine will make playoffs-chances are greater that a division 4 team will win river ridge-if division 3 team wins any district then the rest of teams in division 4 will go to power points.

will abingdon and carrol county need to beef up their scheduling-one thing that comes to mind is if richlands or graham win southwest, then there could be 4 teams in playoffs out of 2 districts, the river ridge and piedmont, and possibly 3 out of river ridge but not out of other districts because they only have 2 teams each representing division 4.this could be a tough scenario, though because magna vista and bassett have been tough lately and carrol county seems to be on the edge every year.tell me if my thinking is right on this or not!

I think some of the schools will continue to schedule Class A schools out of rivalry or necessity (due to travel and/or the fact AA schools from other areas won't play them).

Do I think this will hurt come playoff time...probably moreso for the D4 schools than the D3 schools that schedule Class A teams. With a few exceptions, the Class A schools that get scheduled by the better AA teams in Region IV are usually some of the better Class A teams in this part of the state (Gate City, Powell Valley, Lebanon, Honaker, George Wythe), and usually those schools do not hurt ratings points. However, some AA schools do have a penchant for playing some of the weaker Class A teams...they'd rather see instant results with an easy victory as opposed to seeing how that doesn't help them in the long run.

Honestly, I would like to see all the schools in Region IV play all AA schedules but realistically that won't happen...

From the River Ridge end, you can bet Blacksburg will continue to play Giles and Christiansburg will continue to play Radford and probably Floyd. This probably will not hurt either team much since they both have so many other D-4 opponents, though it might affect C-Burg more as Radford and Floyd have been down somewhat.

I wonder if Carroll County has ever attempted to schedule Blacksburg or Christiansburg or vice-versa?

Short of scheduling Tennessee teams, it's probably next to impossible for Abingdon to get AA non-district opponents. The closest is Pulaski County.

Carroll use to be the in the same district, so for 25 years they played each other then when they went to Region III that stop playing each other and Pulaski was stronger then them for many years and it would not have made since to play the, Carroll got ride of Floyd and Galax the past couple of years. They have pick-up bassett and Virginia High. With Virginia High dropping to single A maybe they will try to play Blacksburg or Christiansburg.

i agree with you g-man. a lot of teams have said the advantage would go to those who scheduled up against aaa teams but sometimes this will do you good if you win but bad if you lose. but a win against a 10-0 giles team is better than a loss against a 5-5 lord bototourt team.it just depends on the situation.but there may be some situations where this will come into play, if there is a good river ridge team that did not win the district in division 4 battling for a playoff position against either magna vista or bassett.

Abingdon will probably continue to play VA High, Patrick Henry, & John Battle. On another note, because VA High and John Battle were part of the break up of the old SW District, wouldn't it be great if they both had to travel to THE CLIFF to play a football game since they are now in Region D. Or travel to Hurley and Twin Valley to play basketball.