Bluefield keeps winning steak alive over Mt.View

We won tonight 6-4 over Mt.View

We started off a little rough pitching, but as the game kept going we came around and started pretty good

The game was tied in the top of the 7th 4-4, Ben Goss drew the walk, Sowder placed a perfect sacrifice bunt to get Goss to second, then I came up to the plate and jacked my 4th homer in the past six games to put us up 6-4..Dobbins came in in the 7th and struck out the side on 12 pitches to end the game.

Chance Cottrell earned the win for us. and Dobbins picked up the save.

J.B. Dobbins, Nick Williams, Ben Goss, Ben Copley, also added some key hits tonight....Sorry if I missed someone

Tommorrow is a "BIG" game..We play #6 Indpendence at Independence at 1...Wish us luck

5-1

Yeah, it was great to get a win tonight despite not playing our best baseball, and Mt. View is a team with some pretty good ball players. I can't say enough about the seniors tonight because every one of them made major contributions. Big one tomorrow too. And I hope to see some fans at Pikeview Monday for our showdown with Shady. I promise it will be a highly intense game because there is alot of bad blood between us and them.

Beavers clout by Knights

WELCH  Eric Poletti kept hitting the ball hard and Mount View kept making the catches.

Poletti finally put the ball where nobody could catch it in the top of the seventh inning, drilling a two-run home run to lead Bluefield to a come-from-behind 6-4 win over the Golden Knights on Friday evening at Nick Shaffron Field.

Bluefield (5-1), which won its fifth straight game, trailed early 3-0, but battled back to take a 4-3 lead. After the Knights tied it up, Poletti deposited a Brandon Clemins fastball over the right field fence for the final margin. J.B. Dobbins pitched the seventh, fanning all three batters he faced for the save.

“This is what makes a good ball club, we came out flat, but we hung in the ball game,†Bluefield head coach David Hubbard said. “Somebody picked us up and we played good defense overall again and we were able to pull it out in the end.â€Â

While Poletti smacked his fourth home run of the season, Mount View head coach Nick Shaffron was kicking himself for pitching to Poletti with a runner on second base and one out.

“That’s my fault, I should have intentionally walked him to set up a force,†Shaffron said. “I thought about that and then I thought about pitching around him and that came back to cost us.â€Â

Poletti, who had an RBI single during a three-run fourth inning for the Beavers, had been robbed twice by the Knights.

“He’s hit the ball well, but we just kept telling him to just be consistent and good things will happen,†Hubbard said. “Sure enough he got the right pitch at the right time.â€Â

Poletti was retired in the second inning when Cedrick Thomas made a sliding catch of a long drive to center field. Poletti also stroked a shot down the first base line in the fourth, but Clemins was holding a runner at the bag and snagged it out of the air.

In the seventh, with Goss on second base and one out, Poletti faced Clemins, Mount View’s third pitcher of the game. On a 2-0 count, Poletti stroked it into the field beyond the right field fence.

“They kept giving me the ball right down the middle, and finally I just got under it some and got a good rip on it,†Poletti said. “The one I hit at Summers County was farther than this one, but this is the biggest one I have hit.â€Â

Mount View (2-2), which played Iaeger a few minutes after this loss, took a 3-0 lead through two innings. Cory Hale walked and scored on a Jeremy Hayes double in the first, and the Knights drew three walks in the second, with a Hale single bringing home a pair of runs.

“Some nights you just don’t have it right off the bat and you just have to hang tough and somebody else has to pick up the slack,†Hubbard said. “They did that, and we got a good win tonight.â€Â

Bluefield battled back against shaky Mount View defense, scoring three runs in the fourth, thanks partly to a pair of errors, and then added another run in the sixth on two more Knights’ fielding miscues.

“It’s early and we’re experimenting,†Shaffron said. “We’re finding some things that are good and some things that are bad, but it’s early in the season and we’ll still looking.â€Â

After Warren Furrow struggled through three frames for the Beavers, Chance Cottrell took his place and allowed five hits and one unearned in three innings on the mound. That run came in the sixth when Thomas Bell singled, moved to third on a wild pickoff attempt and scored on a wild pitch.

“Chance hasn’t pitched much for us so far this year and we’re trying to get him some opportunities,†Hubbard said. “He stepped up real good for us tonight, and J.B. just absolutely slammed the door shut.â€Â

David Boyer, who had relieved Knights’ starter Jeremy Hayes in the fifth, walked Goss leading off the seventh. Clemins took his place, and Zack Sowder bunted Goss to second. Poletti then stepped to the plate.

While Poletti proved to be the hero, the senior catcher was quick to compliment other parts of the Bluefield team.

“Chance did a real good job and J.B. came in and finished them off like he always does,†Poletti said. “The defense is stepping up big for us, that’s the main thing that is carrying us, and we’re starting to hit the ball real good.â€Â

Dobbins retired all three batters on strikes in the seventh to give the Beavers another win heading to Independence today, the sixth-ranked Class AA team in the state.

“It was a pretty good ball game,†said Shaffron, whose Knights travel Monday to James Monroe. “It’s still pretty early in the season and our pitchers threw decent.

“I know what Dobbins can do when he comes in on the mound, he just came in and blew the ball by us.â€Â

Both teams finished with seven hits apiece. Dobbins, Goss and Poletti had two apiece for Bluefield, while Hale added two hits for the Knights.

“We’re pleased to be 5-1,†Hubbard said. “We’ll just take it one game at a time and we’ll see what we can do tomorrow.â€Â

â€â€Contact Brian Woodson

at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

at Nick Shaffron Field

Bluefield............................000 301 2  6 7 4

Mount View.......................300 001 0  4 7 4

Furrow, Cottrell (4), Dobbins (7) and Poletti. Hayes, Boyer (5), Clemins (7) and Hale. Wâ€â€Cottrell; Lâ€â€Boyer; Sâ€â€Dobbins. HRâ€â€Poletti (BF, 4) 7th, 1 on.