VA AA state tournaments

Group AA Baseball....

Quartefinals, Tuesday, June 5

Waynesboro (19-7) at Powhatan (20-4), 6 p.m.

Richlands (20-3) at Hidden Valley (16-10), 5 p.m.

Poquoson (17-9) at Turner Ashby (23-1), 7 p.m.

Northside (17-6) vs. Virginia High (20-5), 7 p.m.

Semifinals, Friday, June 8, at Calfee Park in Pulaksi

Powhatan-Waynesboro vs. Richlands-HV, 11 a.m.

Poquoson-TA vs. Va High-Northside, 2 p.m.

Championship, at Radford Univ., Saturday, June 9, at 2 p.m.

Group AA Softball....

Quartefinals, Tuesday, June 5

Fort Defiance (22-4) at New Kent (22-3), 5 p.m.

Virginia High (22-4) at Cave Spring (24-2), 5 p.m.

Poquoson (18-7) at Broad Run (26-0), 7 p.m.

Jefferson Forest (16-8) at Tunstall (21-4), ??

Semifinals, Friday, June 8, at Radford Univ.

Ft. Defiance-New Kent vs. Va High-Cave Spring, 10 a.m.

Poquoson-Broad Run vs. Jeff. Forest-Tunstall, 1 p.m.

Championship, Saturday, June 9, at Radford Univ., 10 a.m.

[ QUOTE ]

blaming the loss on field conditions?

that sounds like Graham football a few years back

[/ QUOTE ]

Fly balls become home runs when you have a short fence. That's field dimensions, not conditions.

Thanks Newton, I appreciate the insight.

Field dimensions are part of the field conditions.

Players should be able to recognize the differences in field conditions and alter their playing style.

The short field is just an excuse.

A short outfield fence, say 250' to 280' does create a challenge, but it works for both teams. The key is to keep the ball down in the zone and let the infielders do their job. Short fences are murder on fly ball pitchers.

Nobody was making excuses. He made an observation that two of the home runs would have been routine outs at home. Ron and C.P. Brown made the same observation on the radio. It's baseball. You can't win them all... but why can't we discuss a loss without someone from Tazewell calling it an excuse?

[ QUOTE ]

A short outfield fence, say 250' to 280' does create a challenge, but it works for both teams. The key is to keep the ball down in the zone and let the infielders do their job. Short fences are murder on fly ball pitchers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, what Prince and BigD said is like ARod saying, "I would have hit a walk off homer but the Green Monster was there."

Adapt to the field conditions, each is different.

Fenway has the Monster, Minute Maid has the hill, Coors has the altitude, Wrigly the Ivy and little foul ground.

You have to adapt.

[ QUOTE ]

Nobody was making excuses. He made an observation that two of the home runs would have been routine outs at home. Ron and C.P. Brown made the same observation on the radio. It's baseball. You can't win them all... but why can't we discuss a loss without someone from Tazewell calling it an excuse?

[/ QUOTE ]

and why can't somebody from Richlands just accpet a loss and move on?

Prince made the excuse, and you backed him up.

I can gurantee the players knew about the small field.

The pitcher should have kept the ball down more.

The field didn't cost you all the game, you all cost yourselves the game.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All that was said is two of the home runs would have been routine fly balls at SVCC. The rest of this waste of time was all you.

I went to the game and this field was a joke -- the mound appeared at best difficult to maneuver, the left field fence looked more like Tazewell's softball fence which is 225 -- and the umpire was not giving Barnette the outside corners the two home runs mentioned were actually strike outs on the previous pitch but again no outside corners were given so he was forced to put the ball more in the middle or have 25 walks --

And Drew -- I'm not a Richlands' fan -- I went to this game due to the fact that I had an appointment in Roanoke earlier that day and was hanging around for the soccer game later on -- so this isn't Richlands crying this is a fact -- I would love just once for Tazewell County Schools to support each other when they are playing at the Region and/or State level -- this petty stuff is not for appropriate for individuals of your obvious intelligence --

I agree about supporting Tazewell County teams when it comes to playoff time. When you are playing head-to-head that is one thing, but anytime a school from this county is still alive in the postseason, I will support them. I have followed this board since its inception, and the one common theme I have found is that SW VA/SW District gets little respect from the rest of the state. So anytime a team from our area,regardless of the sport,can put it on any other team, I am all for it. Hey, not every team at every school can win every year. The least we can do is show pride in our county and district. Agreed?

[ QUOTE ]

I agree about supporting Tazewell County teams when it comes to playoff time. When you are playing head-to-head that is one thing, but anytime a school from this county is still alive in the postseason, I will support them. I have followed this board since its inception, and the one common theme I have found is that SW VA/SW District gets little respect from the rest of the state. So anytime a team from our area,regardless of the sport,can put it on any other team, I am all for it. Hey, not every team at every school can win every year. The least we can do is show pride in our county and district. Agreed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed...however we all need to learn how to win and lose with class...no blaming officials, umpires, field conditions, etc.

When you win its because you were the better team that day, when you lose its because the other team was better on that day...let's all recognize that fact and move on...

I agree with you Gman. Richlands did play on the field with the same dimensions as the other team. I spoke with Billy Wagner when he was here in January, and I asked him about blowing a game in the National League Series last year. His reply was that sometimes the other guy was better on that one day. Maybe that was the case for Richlands.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i never said the field conditions cost us the game..just like BigD said: i said the two of the three home runs would have been routine outs at the college..did i say that's the reason we lost the game? no, we made costly mistakes at the wrong times, that's the reason we lost