UNC to win the ACC?

Mark it down boys. It's gonna happen this year i just know it. With Butch Davis and a really strong recruiting class UNC is due up for a huge HUGE HUGE turn around. Dwight Jones (UNC's new WR, 4th overall in the country for those who didn't know) Is my pick for Freshman of the year in the ACC. Hopefully Davis is smart and goes ahead and starts Mike Paulus over Joe Daily. All i can say is i'm pretty pumped.

UNC to win the ACC? Maybe in basketball...

UNC will be much improved this season but Bunting left the program in such disarray that it will take Butch a couple of years to turn things around...

[ QUOTE ]

UNC to win the ACC? Maybe in basketball...

UNC will be much improved this season but Bunting left the program in such disarray that it will take Butch a couple of years to turn things around...

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely in basketball. Davis needs three or four years to get his kids in the program before Carolina stands a serious shot at the conference...

[ QUOTE ]

Mark it down boys. It's gonna happen this year i just know it. With Butch Davis and a really strong recruiting class UNC is due up for a huge HUGE HUGE turn around. Dwight Jones (UNC's new WR, 4th overall in the country for those who didn't know) Is my pick for Freshman of the year in the ACC. Hopefully Davis is smart and goes ahead and starts Mike Paulus over Joe Daily. All i can say is i'm pretty pumped.

[/ QUOTE ]

HA!! Soooooo this year's recruiting, full of freshmen not quite ready to play yet, is going to win the ACC? You're an idiot... I don't even know why this thread got started...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]i'd say they'll be better than people think, if that recruiting class is as good as advertised freshman could come in and make a difference, look at what WVU did 2 years ago when white and slaton were freshman, they were the leaders of the team in their 1st seasons

[ QUOTE ]

HA!! Soooooo this year's recruiting, full of freshmen not quite ready to play yet, is going to win the ACC? You're an idiot... I don't even know why this thread got started...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, i'm an idiot because i support my team? If anyone came out and said Tech would win the ACC none of you would have been like Ha! you're an idiot. Carolina's in the Coastal division which was won by GT last year who lost calvin johson. I'm willing to bet that the won't be so hot this year. And Tech is always over hyped so i'm not worried at all about them. All UNC needs to do is win 4 or 5 of their acc games and have a shot at finishing first in the coastal division.

so basically, don't call me an idiot just because i have high hopes for my team.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, UNC is really crappy but then again there has been some real crappy ACC Title teams the past few years.....ie VT 2004, FSU 2005, WF 2006....maybe UNC 2007...doubt it tho pal

[ QUOTE ]

Carolina's in the Coastal division which was won by GT last year who lost calvin johson.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are also in the Coastal Division with Virginia Tech and Miami...Miami was down last year but they will be back with Randy Shannon at the helm.

Ga. Tech went 7-1 in the ACC last season...UNC winning 4 or 5 of their ACC games might get them a trip to San Francisco, Boise, Charlotte, Nashville, or Orlando after the season is finished but it won't get them to Jacksonville for the ACC Championship game the first weekend in December....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, UNC is really crappy but then again there has been some real crappy ACC Title teams the past few years.....ie VT 2004, FSU 2005, WF 2006....maybe UNC 2007...doubt it tho pal

[/ QUOTE ]

Tech was a questionable penalty against USC (who won the Natl Championship) a missed field goal against NC State, and a last second rally against Auburn (who was undefeated) away from being the National Champs that year. Dont think that can be classified as a sucky champion.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tech was a questionable penalty against USC (who won the Natl Championship) a missed field goal against NC State, and a last second rally against Auburn (who was undefeated) away from being the National Champs that year. Dont think that can be classified as a sucky champion.

[/ QUOTE ]so they had 3 chances and blew every one?

Well, obviously not everyone... they won the ACC championship. And, believe it or not, USC and Auburn are pretty good teams... NC State, ehh, should have won that one... But then again, that's not nearly the extent that WVU underachieves year in, year out...

if if IF....i mean come on...you can say that for any team...you can say if a team just did this and just did that then BAM they are champs...they didnt do it...so there...if's are nothing in the game of football..it happened...

[ QUOTE ]

if if IF....i mean come on...you can say that for any team...you can say if a team just did this and just did that then BAM they are champs...they didnt do it...so there...if's are nothing in the game of football..it happened...

[/ QUOTE ]

He was just arguing the point that they were not a "crappy" champion that year. They had a great season, and were a few breaks from having an even better season. I dont think the point of his post was to argue that VT should have been national champs. You all need to read a little more, and stop jumping onto every one for making a good point.

but my point wasnt good??? im sorry i had to pick his out but everyone does it...so maybe you should read into my posts as well...i hate to have to say it to him but everyone says IF statements...so my point was a good point as well...so read into other posts before you tell me to read into posts...

[ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously not everyone... they won the ACC championship. And, believe it or not, USC and Auburn are pretty good teams... NC State, ehh, should have won that one... But then again, that's not nearly the extent that WVU underachieves year in, year out...

[/ QUOTE ]well i was just playin anyway, i saw them play live several times that year...and on WVU's part, we had a different coach then, that was a different era, under rich rod we've had back to back top 10 finishes, back to back bowl wins and back to back 11 win seasons, and ugh they prolly wont suck to bad this year with 2 heisman canidates ya know what i mean cuz...so i guess u could talk about the nehlen era all u want, but as of late u could say in morgantown times are a changin

[ QUOTE ]

but my point wasnt good??? im sorry i had to pick his out but everyone does it...so maybe you should read into my posts as well...i hate to have to say it to him but everyone says IF statements...so my point was a good point as well...so read into other posts before you tell me to read into posts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but you didnt say in your post that you were talking about eeryone that ever says "if". You were specifcally talking about his post. How could I have read it and thought you were talking about everyone? And notice in my post I said you ALL... not only you. Everyone is going to say if...it has always been that way and it always will...that is what makes sports so great...every play makes a difference in a season. There will always be "what ifs"....what's wrong with talking about them?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of years ago Duke went 0-12.....they were a stat keeper's mistake from being 12-0 and the National Champs...so whats your point?

Been away for a little while, but figured I'd respond to the claim that UNC might win the ACC. Short answer: no. Here's how I see it going down:

Virginia Tech: 11-1 (7-1)

Virginia: 10-2 (6-2)

Miami: 8-4 (5-3) [tiebreak]

Georgia Tech: 9-3 (5-3)

North Carolina: 5-7 (3-5)

Duke: 2-10 (0-8)

UNC will be better than most might realize, but are a year away from bowl contention, and at least 4 away from any feasible conference shot. But they will have one. 7 ESPN Top 150 recruits this past year (unless this is Butch Davis's work, I'll never know how this transpired).

The other oddity on this list is UVA. Might be bias, but I doubt it. Ponder these numbers:

Returning starters: 19 (1st in ACC)

Offensive: 9

Line is as strong as ever, returns all starters. Jameel Sewell will be effective if his wrist heals (early reports are positive).

Questions abound at wide receiver, since Kevin Ogletree will miss the entire season due to a torn ACL. Also, if Mike Groh can learn not to call a swing pass on EVERY 2nd down, good things might happen.

Defensive: 10

All but Marcus Hamilton will return. Chris Long is an early All-American candidate, and Jeffrey Fitzgerald at the other end anchor a great front 3. Linebacking corps, although not the most heralded, return with much experience, especially tackling leader Jon Copper and third-year starter Clint Sintim

Questions abound for the secondary, which has never been the most rock solid. That could hurt.

Schedule:

September 1: at Wyoming

September 8: Duke

September 15: at North Carolina

September 22: Georgia Tech

September 29: Pittsburgh

October 6: at Middle Tennessee State

October 13: Connecticut

October 20: at Maryland

October 27: at North Carolina State

November 3: Wake Forest

November 10: at Miami (FL)

November 24: Virginia Tech

Notice how the three hardest opponents through the first ten games are all at home (GT, Pitt, WF). Virginia's averaged a .750 mark at home over the past 5 seasons. Virginia has managed to be, well, inept on the road, but let's look at the opponents: WY, NC, MTS, Mary, NCST. All are winnable. Two are coming off awful seasons (worse than UVA's), one just gained D-I status, and two will be at the bottom of their respective divisions. Call me crazy, UVA could be 10-0 when they roll into Coral Gables. Losses in the last 2 games create the 10-2 mark, with a 6-2 conference record. Looking at all the other schedules (ESPN), one can justify feasibly the records I wrote above. Call me crazy, but this is how I think it'll shake down.