why richlands is right

zack

and wrong! just because they lose important players does not mean they wont be as good or close to as good but that is no guarantee in itself-these players have to prove themselves as a group.for instance salem has lost many players and for that reason people keep picking against us during the start of the season.after 2004 we lost andre hairston, dustin pickle, bryan webb, grant hall, matt shawver, joey daniels, sam everett, ryan kesler, adam degennarro, daniel lopez, and marquell daniels.

in 2005 we lost tony spradlin, jay nelson, keith gaines, duan smith, cameron chaney, justin delieto, mike turk, teddy dyer, jonas rawlins, logan tayloe, ryan tomkins, nathan carter, marcus lewis. last year seniors were brandon grigsby, mark hanabury, nick spradlin, mark patton, nick charles,daniel turk, ben long, curtis reed, nic williams, in 2006 we lost less than the 2 previous years. but in 2007 this team has to prove itself again, and so will richlands. salem returns 8 starters on offense and 7 on defense. we will be very good. how good will depend on the d line and quarterback.

http://www.salem.k12.va.us/shs/sports/football/roster06.htm

Well said Zack!

People don't realize (or want to realize) that Richlands will most likely have the best defense this year since Mance has been there. Or possibly ever according to some.

They return the entire seconday minus one (dj simmons) Those guys have been playing in 7 on 7's this summer and dominating most teams they have played. (Only lost once out of every tourney they have played in - UVA championship)

And the D-Line and LB's will be stout also. Shane Wicks, Derrick Jackson and others will put a hurtin' on some teams this year.

Austin Fuller and Joel Elswick will do a great job at alternating at QB.

But we will have to wait and see.

I realize they lose a ton of talented players but the guys returning are very skilled.

Richlands returns more pieces to the puzzle this year then they have in years past. There defense despite 3 starters returns. The offense returns some great postion players. If the defense plays to its potential i'm going to go on a limb and say that this has the potential to be one of if not likely the best team to come through Richlands. The seniors that are there this year have lost 1 game since there sophmore year. If you count there freshman year they've lost a total of 3 games in there varsity career. The experience is there with these group of athletes. I dont see how people can say this and that when the stats are in front of your eyes. There winners and they have proven it. So i wouldnt expect anything else this year from them.

I've never argued that they shouldn't have high expectations myself, my basic argument is assuming that it's not possible for other teams to have stronger teams.

You read things such as "we have other players besides fuller, and they have talent to"... and what, bluefield fans couldn't write out a list of other players besides 1 and some capable back ups? As if we have to go to the band and say can anyone catch a pass or fill in at rb for the football team?

Be proud and have high expectations though, I simply wouldn't discount other team's potential to the extent it seems yall have.