Media picks Hokies to win the ACC...

GMan

Media Picks Hokies to Win the ACC

Jul 23, 2007

The media attending the 2007 ACC Football kickoff submitted their ballots for their preseason poll, and as expected, Virginia Tech is the heavy favorite to win the ACC this season. Florida State is expected to win the Atlantic Division, but the majority of the people who cover ACC athletics for a living think the Hokies are going to the BCS.

A total of 83 ballots were cast this year, and here is how the voting breaks down.

2007 ACC Football Pre-Season Poll

Atlantic Division

School Points

Florida State (37) 423

Boston College (25) 363

Clemson (8) 332

Wake Forest (13) 325

Maryland 156

NC State 144

Coastal Division

School Points

Virginia Tech (77) 491

Georgia Tech (4) 367

Miami (2) 356

Virginia 255

North Carolina 188

Duke 86

There were many divided voters on the Atlantic Division. Florida State won out, but Boston College, who returns the top quarterback in the ACC in Matt Ryan, made a strong showing. Clemson collected eight first place votes, while defending ACC Champ Wake Forest got 13. Maryland and NC State were picked at the bottom of the Atlantic Division, which isn't a surprise.

Virginia Tech ran away with the Coastal Division voting. The Hokies got 77 out of a possible 83 first place votes. Georgia Tech finished second, barely ahead of the Miami Hurricanes. Virginia was a distant fourth, with North Carolina and Duke bringing up the rear.

The ACC media also picked the eventual ACC Championship Game winner. Virginia Tech was the heavy favorite in this as well, getting 69 of 83 possible votes.

[ QUOTE ]

Surely Matt Ryan is not the best QB in the ACC.....boy the talent level has realy gone down if he is

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha... No, really... we don't argue about this enough....

And now you know what's going to happen? Dawgs05 is going to say something like "i wasn't picking a fight, i was just saying, blah blah" It seems like all this has happened before...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Surely Matt Ryan is not the best QB in the ACC.....boy the talent level has realy gone down if he is

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha... No, really... we don't argue about this enough....

And now you know what's going to happen? Dawgs05 is going to say something like "i wasn't picking a fight, i was just saying, blah blah" It seems like all this has happened before...

[/ QUOTE ]

You should hate that its true.....not the person who told it......you know, dont kill the messenger

im sorry i have to be the one to say this but like at this conferance i mean lord its nothin, granted tech will have a good team this year i hope they do good because of that tradgey but out of all the bcs conferences the acc is the worse and they wouldnt win there conference if it was the sec or pac 10 or big east or big 10

[ QUOTE ]

im sorry i have to be the one to say this but like at this conferance i mean lord its nothin, granted tech will have a good team this year i hope they do good because of that tradgey but out of all the bcs conferences the acc is the worse and they wouldnt win there conference if it was the sec or pac 10 or big east or big 10

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot about the Big 12...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? The Big East is the worst BCS conference in the nation. They have WVU and Louisville, the rest of the teams are HORRIBLE. Out of all the current Big East teams, ONE has won a National Chapionship in the last 50 years. VT, Miami, Florida St., Ga. Tech, BC, and possibly Maryland could compete in any of the conferences you mentioned.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? The Big East is the worst BCS conference in the nation. They have WVU and Louisville, the rest of the teams are HORRIBLE. Out of all the current Big East teams, ONE has won a National Chapionship in the last 50 years. VT, Miami, Florida St., Ga. Tech, BC, and possibly Maryland could compete in any of the conferences you mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

the big east has two dominating teams (wv, ul) the acc has one (vt) and Miami, Florida St., Ga. Tech, BC, and Maryland are nothin, fsu will be better this year but not top 10 and gt was alright last year because of calvin without him.... plus the big east has rutgers, cincy, usf and i think those three could beat gt, bc, and maryland

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

amazing.

"The Big East is the worst BCS conference in the nation"

You will have to back that up a little better then that. Let here some more proof of your opinion. Where did the big East rank last year amount national conferences??? ....exactly!

Well I read a poll that said the winner of the LSU and Tech game will be in the National Championship Game, and they had LSU winning it and then they had tech vs wwv in the sugar bowl.

[ QUOTE ]

Well I read a poll that said the winner of the LSU and Tech game will be in the National Championship Game, and they had LSU winning it and then they had tech vs wwv in the sugar bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way VT-WVU would play in the Sugar Bowl is if LSU beats VT and plays in the National Championship game, VT doesn't win the ACC Championship game, and VT gets an "at-large" BCS bid.

The ACC Champ goes to the Orange Bowl...and I don't see a two loss (LSU/ACC Championship game) VT team getting a BCS "at-large" bid...

VT & WVU have a better chance of playing each other in the Gator Bowl...and that isn't very likely either...

[ QUOTE ]

And again I said I read that... To many many people on here are to quick flame...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that you said it, nor was I flaming you. I was merely pointing out the fact that the writer of the article had no clue what he was talking about...sheesh!!!

Some people are just SOOOO SENSITIVE...

[ QUOTE ]

"the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner will come from a Big East school."

And A National Championship team.

WVU will play Sothern Cal in the NC

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not gonna go that far out on a limb to say that WVU will win the National Title. But, I see a clearer path for WVU to the Title Game than Michigan, LSU or Texas.