quick question

bcbathletics

Friday night lights

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

MONTCALM  For years, the Montcalm Generals have had to wait until Saturday afternoons to play their football games, while all the other surrounding schools played on the more traditional Friday nights.

Their Saturday afternoons are now free.

“I’m very excited,†said Montcalm senior Anthony Graham, following a Thursday morning practice. “We’re usually out here playing in 90-degree heat.

“I think we will be a lot more in shape to play under these lights and we won’t get as tired and we’ll be able to stay in the game longer.â€Â

Much has changed at Prudich Stadium. Not only are new lights installed, but there is a new scoreboard, a fieldhouse that is being completed and the road leading to the facility has been paved.

“We’re looking forward to the upcoming season because of the changes that we have undergone,†Montcalm head coach Craig Havens said. “We have a new scoreboard, right now it’s not in operation, but the electricians have been working on that.

“We’ve got a crew putting our fieldhouse under roof for us, we’ve got our lights hooked up, and we’re looking at playing Friday nights so we’re really excited about some of the changes that are taking place...

“We’ve got the paved lot, which makes it easier to get up and down the hill. It’s getting nicer every day.â€Â

Currently in its 12th season with a football program, Montcalm reached its zenith in 2005, compiling an 8-2 record for a school that once had a 26-game losing streak. Those days are over too.

“The expectations have changed a little bit, the kids are not talking about playoffs or anything.†said Havens, whose Generals finished 3-7 last season, “They’re just talking about that they are going to be OK, that we feel like we’ll be a lot better team than what people saw last year.

“It seems like every time we lose a big senior group that everybody says they’re going to be way down, but these kids have a little football experience and they’re working hard so we think we’re going to be competitive.â€Â

Graham, a tight end and linebacker, and Matt Sisk, a junior quarterback, defensive back, kicker and punter, agree with that assessment.

“I’m excited, this is my last year playing,†Sisk said. “We’re going to have a good team this year I believe, deep down I believe we’re going to be all right.â€Â

Graham added: “I’m very excited to come back, we’ve got new guys trying to come in and step up this year. We’re working every day, just trying to get better every day that we come up here and leave a spark for the next year.â€Â

While Sisk had to fill the huge shoes of Adam Havens at quarterback last season, Sisk feels a little more comfortable this time around.

“Last year was my first year under center and it was a learning experience,†Sisk said “This year we’ve got to step up and do better than we did last year.â€Â

“I think he’s stepping up a lot this year,†added Graham. “It was his first year doing it last year and he’s doing a lot better this year.

“He’s got a lot more accurate, he’s gotten faster, he’s gotten more in shape, I’m just so proud of him.â€Â

Graham is expected to fill in big shoes of his own, moving from offensive tackle to tight end to replace Justin Ball. Graham will also return to linebacker, where he is one of the team’s leading tacklers.

“Justin played tight end so well last year and I’m just trying to step up into his position and try to play as hard as I can every play,†Graham said.

Playing hard isn’t a problem for the 6-foot-3, 250-pound Graham, who hopes to have a future on a college gridiron.

“I love to play football, I love contact, I love hitting, I just love the sport,†Graham said. “I love working hard every day and staying in shape, just all of it so much.

“I want to have a big year this year, I want to have the best year I’ve ever had. I’ve always worked for this, I’ve worked like 10 years for this moment right here.â€Â

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Sisk is glad that Graham is on his side.

“I just love Anthony to death,†Sisk said. “Me and Anthony worked hard last year and I worked all summer with him getting ready for this season.

“This is our last year and we want to make it the best. Anthony has improved from last year.â€Â

As is usually the case at such a small school, graduation took its toll on Montcalm again, but the Generals will keep moving forward.

“We have guys stepping up this year,†Graham said. “They’ve impressed me, they’re working hard on these drills and trying to get better and do as good as they can, they’re stepping into some key positions for us this year.â€Â

Montcalm, which opens its season on Aug. 24 at Big Creek, will play its first night game under its new lights on Aug. 31 against Williamson. Sisk can’t wait.

“I’m excited about Friday night lights,†Sisk said. “We’ve been waiting forever to get lights, we finally got a fieldhouse built for us and now we’ve got lights so I’m excited about playing on Friday nights.

“That’s going to be fun, everybody has been anxious for that to happen. I like Saturday games, but I’d rather play on Friday nights. It’s fun.â€Â

Havens agrees, although he will miss those Saturday afternoons, which had become a tradition for a school still trying to build a football tradition.

“I think Saturday was a tradition that we were kind of building on, now it’s going to be Friday night  which is Friday night football  which is what everybody looks forward to so we’re looking forward to that and I’m looking forward to it,†said Havens, who has a preseason roster of 20 kids, including just five seniors. “I kind of hate losing that little bit of tradition that we had.

“We might schedule some Saturday games in the future, but I think overall it will give our student body an opportunity to be more involved and see us more.

“Right now the community and all the people that talk to us, they’re looking forward to Friday nights. I just hope they come out and support us with their presence.â€Â

Graham added: “Our community backs us pretty much. It’s a small town, but we usually get a whole bunch of them up here to watch us play every game.â€Â

Havens won’t guess on the number of wins that Montcalm will finish with this season, only that the opposition will know they’ve been in a game.

“I don’t know how many games we will win or lose, I just hope we’re competitive,†Havens said. “We want to be competitive.

“What we’ve been trying to do is let the kids have some fun and hopefully be competitive in the games. Hopefully we can pull out a win or two and have a little fun.â€Â

On Friday nights.

â€â€Contact Brian Woodson

at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

[ QUOTE ]

i heard threw blands coach that they are scimmaging montcalm this coming saturday...i was wondering if anyone knows how montcalm is looking this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

WV teams aren't allowed to scrimmage until August 11th at the earliest...

[ QUOTE ]

today on my 4 wheeler and the town looks about the same. A few more drunks hanging around the gas station was about all I saw new.

[/ QUOTE ]HAHAHAHA thats funny but true