Article on Ansel Ponder from the BDT...

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_222231726.html?keyword=topstory

Receiver Ponder's season

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD  It’s become a familiar sight for Bluefield Beaver fans: Ansel Ponder speeding down the football field and outleaping defenders for a long gain.

Get ready for more of it. His coach, Fred Simon, said Friday, “He’s gotten better.â€Â

“We’re going to look to get him the ball more than we did last year,†Simon said. “Whether it be carrying the ball, or catching the ball, Ansel has to touch it.â€Â

In addition to Ponder putting on 15 more pounds of muscle since last winter, Simon said he’s “added to his vertical (leap), and speed and so forth.â€Â

Simon remarked about the senior’s attitude as well. “He’s been a great role model for these guys, as far as hard work goes,†the coach said.

Ponder caught 31 passes for 534 yards and seven touchdowns last season as Bluefield again reached the Class AA playoffs.

He said the Beavers have put their first-round playoff loss last November in the mud at Wayne behind them. “It was a long time ago,†Ponder said. “That’s in the past, and we’re going to try to take on the task that’s ahead of us.

“I look at last season as just motivation, as far as, we didn’t work hard enough to get there (to the championship). And it motivates me more to just come out and try to give all I can for the team, so we can be better as a team.â€Â

Bluefield quarterback Will Cole said, “He’s one of our biggest leaders on the team, him and Deak Kersey both. He’s a leader on the field and off the field.â€Â

Eric McClanahan, another QB for the Beavers, had the good fortune of throwing passes to Ponder last fall. “He’s a great athlete,†McClanahan said. “He’s got the height, the vertical leap, the hands.

“Ansel’s got the reach for any kind of pass. Easy or hard, he’s the one who’s going to come down with it,†McClanahan said.

Cole said, “He can go up and get it.â€Â

Ponder is part of a talented group of classmates. He said, “Our senior class has been together playing since we were in the pee-wee and midget (leagues).

“We always had a great team, or a good team. But now, we’re trying to come out in our senior year and have a great team, and try to be successful throughout the season, the playoffs, wherever else.â€Â

Out of that class of teammates, Shawn Steptoe is deceased and Devin Meyers can no longer play, Ponder said.

“That’s just two motivations right there,†he said, “knowing that some of my best friends can’t play with us. But we’re out there. So I just give it my all, 100 percent for them, and for me, too.â€Â

Ponder said he and Cole “get along real well. We played basketball together when we were young, about 8 or 9,†Ponder said. “And I’ve known Eric (McClanahan) all my life, too, so it’s a real good relationship as far as wide receiver and quarterback. ...

“Our receiving corps, I think, is better than it has been since I’ve been up here. ... We’ve all got good speed; we’ve been working hard in the weight room  and on and off the field. I think we’re going to be pretty good this year.â€Â

He’s been courted by a couple of colleges, he said, but “I’m not really looking at (a college choice) right now. I’m just trying to go out here and work, and just have fun, and play for my team and my friends.â€Â

After attending five football camps this summer, Ponder said a theme emerged.

“Basically it’s all about competition, competing out there on the field,†he said. “That’s what’s fun to me. If you’re not going to go out there and compete every day, there’s no need to really be out there.â€Â

 Contact Tom Bone at

tbone@bdtonline.com

Those Uniforms look ugly in my opinion. Is it just me or do the pants look grey and the jerseys look white?

I say go back to the old school Bluefield jerseys with the 3-stars on them

but heres some more pictures of the jerseys

On the left is will cole #7 and the Right is corey coppola #66

l_c3afabda13928a13bf6e0d5f1d77d298.jpg

Will and Ansel

l_f9c0d4a1e24ff099e6aab22129e9dd69.jpg

Chase Joyner #30, turquan casey # 3, will, and then ponder

l_27bf3977e07ed28f4da060482056d13b.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Is that a good or a bad thing rules? grin.gif

BTW: I heard they lost to Nitro by 1 point. and our kicker Asher Sexton missed 2 XP's

[/ QUOTE ]

It's neither good or bad, it was just an observation.

You don't "win" or "lose" a scrimmage Rocks. Scrimmages are made to evaluate individual players, not the team as a whole. And the Sexton missing extra points is nothing new, how many did he miss last year? Nitro is always a good team for Beaver to scrimmage, especially for the first scrimmage. Nitro is a pass first, second, third, and run only every so often type of offensive team. They force Bluefield to have to learn how to defend the pass right off the bat.