10:00 a.m. Tunstall 28 vs. Halifax Co. 0

11:30 a.m. Bassett 17 vs. Western Albemarle 0

1:00 p.m. Magna Vista 0 vs. Chatham 0

2:30 p.m. Tunstall 0 vs. Western Albemarle 14

3:40 p.m. Patrick County 0 vs. Gretna 14

5:10 p.m. Magna Vista 0 vs. Halifax Co. 28

6:20 p.m. Patrick County 14 vs. Chatham 0

7:30 p.m. Bassett 13 vs. Gretna 6

The Tunstall vs. Halifax County score was a shocker, but then we found out that Halifax had brought mostly their sophomores and freshmen. They did not have their QB and the ILB that has already committed with Va Tech. Needless to say, they went home and returned with their starters for the 2nd contest.

Mv looked really bad again,going to be a long year in Ridgeway. Bassett-Gretna was a whale of a game.Both teams played like they had to win to make the playoffs.#4 for Gretna really had a Sportscenter hit on Womack on that crossing pattern,but Bassett after falling behind 6-0 came back and scored twice to "win" 13-6. Was very impressed with both of these teams and I thought Patrick Co. showed well against Chatham. Good luck to all these teams this year!!

We appeared very lethargic for the first game with Western Albemarle and started out the same against Gretna. They came out and smacked us around a little to start off. When they went up (6-0), they started to do what they are known for. I guess it kind of woke our guys up and that kind of showed with the intensity that we played the 2nd quarter with. Coach Moran will get those kids ready. I admire how they are handling everything that is going on. I thought they appeared to be somewhat improved from last week.

I don't understand what's going on with Henry Co. and scrimmages this year. First, M'ville supposedly said they had the wrong date to be at Mitchell, then Bassett's schedule changes at the last minute as Gretna & Chatham switch opponents.

Is football "not a big thing" in the area?

Seems like someone should've noticed a bit sooner that MV & Gretna play in the regular season.

Look like someone from Mart. would have checked the Bluefield paper or the msg. boards to see what was being said. If they had, they could have checked the schedule and noticed something wasn't right.

Speaking of papers, I've noticed neither of Mart's has much online when it comes to prep sports.

Oh well.

Glad to see someone outside our area notices how "little" emphasis there is in our area concerning sports. The higher ups have a lot to do with that. This is what I understand with the Gretna/Chatham switch with the Warriors. The Jamboree schedule was sent out near the end of the school year with the notation if any changes need to be made to contact the BHS coach or AD. Nothing was brought to their attention until about a week or two before the jamboree. As far as the Martinsville situation, I don't have any info on that.

No football or any sports are not considered a "big deal" in Henry Co. When we were going thru our problems with our head coach at MV a couple of years ago, we were told by one of the top people in the school system that they didn't care if the Warriors went 0-10 every year as long as the kids passed the SOL's. So no sports no longer are a big deal in Henry Co. As far as the M'vlle situation, there is no excuse for that,new coach or not. They had all summer to get it straight and someone,whether it be AD,Coach,principal or whoever blew it. Not alot of happy campers at Martinsville over this situation from what I've heard.

[ QUOTE ]

we were told by one of the top people in the school system that they didn't care if the Warriors went 0-10 every year as long as the kids passed the SOL's.

[/ QUOTE ]

As they should. I love sports as much as anyone else, but education comes first. I wouldnt want a school board that is worried about a school win-loss record in football, I would want one that is concerned with my childs education.

[ QUOTE ]

As they should. I love sports as much as anyone else, but education comes first. I wouldnt want a school board that is worried about a school win-loss record in football, I would want one that is concerned with my childs education.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to agree with you about the education comes first, there are no arguments on that point. What you don't understand is, there is absolutely no emphasis on the sports programs from the higher ups, unless you make it to a certain level of the playoffs. Of course they will make their token appearance every now and then. They will even act like they care when it is either Bassett or Magna Vista vs Martinsville.

I for one, still feel that sports provide a valuable learning tool for the youth of today. Especially with the hard economic times we have in our area. Sports keep a lot of our kids off the streets and away from the "reality" of things that go on in our area. Not to mention all the valuable "real life lessons" that can be learned through sports.

I for one have seen how various communities from your area rally around your team and show support (during the good and bad times) and pride in their schools. Our area is really known for the "bandwagon" fans. I really like how your communities rally around your teams ALL THE TIME. We go through some of your towns on ways to games, and we see businesses that display signs in support of their teams (much like it was back in the day). The show of pride in the community about the school in that area really comes across.

Some of our higher ups would just as soon get rid of sports altogether in Henry County if they had their way. I think that is the point that Pdfan was trying to get across. You would have to understand our viewpoint on sports here (and have to live here) to get a better understanding on the situation.