Defenses

MavsRock

We've talked about different offenses everyone's using. Anyone got a team that there D makes you a little nervous for whatever reason? What's everyone's favorit formation? at the HS level?

4-4 or 4-3 with a Jack LB. You only need 2 big linemen for the interior. Some speed from the Ends. And outside LB's that can rotate over to zone coverage. A 40 front keeps pressure on the offense without leaving gaps for the run game (IE 3-4, 3-3). I do like a 3-5 if, the LB's have the strength/speed combination. But you really have to have pit fighter at the nose (to draw doubles) or the d-line becomes a liability.

The 30 Defense Burton runs. Appy's 40 D. Both are good for causing mass confusion.

Against a good run team i'm partial to the 5-3 or 4-3/4-4. With blitzes from the weak side. It forces a team to have to use be on constantly looking.

Richlands the past few years has had the 50 slant defense, DT-NG-DT all slant except for the DT which the slant is coming to, and Coach palmer does an excellent job at reviewing offenses and slanting to the side the ball is going to 95% of the time. LB's pretty much are at a QB spy the whole game except for BLITZ of course and coverage, well thats basic cover 1,2,3 or man. The DE which the slant is coming to is a JAM end and usually has a TE on him and jams him and the other end which the slant is coming from rushes the QB constantly, i like very much, and has seemed to work well if you know anything about RIchlands.