Owls 3-0

Neondion1

Congrats to Big Creek on a hard fought win against Mt. Hope. The young Owls are 3-0 to begin the season and that hasn't happened in a long while. I know the majority of posts on here are regarding Bluefield, Graham, Richlands...etc. But I did want to say it is nice to see some W's behind the Owls name.

I have been over to see the owls they have a good running back and a strong line. The running back has great speed I think his name is Benton if i'm not mistaken. He has good burst but in the open field he can be run down. They have a good quarter back he threw two completions for TD's in the pocahontas game. Well rounded are the owls' and they should have a really good season.

Farily certainly their weren't alot of people that saw that coming. Didn't they almost not field a team a year or 2 ago?

It's still a long season to go, but 3-0's a good start for anyone. I know Big Creek's had some good teams in the past, be nice if they could turn things around, I'm getting tired of the northern teams dominating single A.

What many people fail to realize is that Big Creek is a school which has a very deep tradition of kicking butt. With the downsizing of the coal mines and a few recent floods the community lost a lot of family which equates to losing a lot of players, money, and support in respect to a football program. I pray that God blesses those kids, coaches, and community before they become the Spartans. (Which by the way is not as bad a name as I originally believed it to be......It's doable).

[ QUOTE ]

What many people fail to realize is that Big Creek is a school which has a very deep tradition of kicking butt. With the downsizing of the coal mines and a few recent floods the community lost a lot of family which equates to losing a lot of players, money, and support in respect to a football program. I pray that God blesses those kids, coaches, and community before they become the Spartans. (Which by the way is not as bad a name as I originally believed it to be......It's doable).

[/ QUOTE ]

The new High School is not the Spartans. The Spartans will represent Southside Middle School being built where Poletti Field was. The new High School is being built in Bradshaw and is still a few years away because of different complications. As far as I know they have not named the new High School or come up with a mascot yet.

Unfortunately, BC will not be playing Mt View this year. In recent years other once or twice BC has not been very competitive vs. MV. Maybe that has something to do with it but still a shame as both teams reside in McDowell County.

Unsure if BC has played any "really tough" teams at this point and most likely will have some ups & downs this year as they are young. The positive is being 3-0 for the first time in a long while and having a sense pride back for the players, coaches, alumni and community as a whole. Good luck Friday night Owls!

[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, BC will not be playing Mt View this year. In recent years other once or twice BC has not been very competitive vs. MV. Maybe that has something to do with it but still a shame as both teams reside in McDowell County.

Unsure if BC has played any "really tough" teams at this point and most likely will have some ups & downs this year as they are young. The positive is being 3-0 for the first time in a long while and having a sense pride back for the players, coaches, alumni and community as a whole. Good luck Friday night Owls!

[/ QUOTE ]

montcalm is in the same county as bluefield and princeton... why dont they play?... pocy is in the same county as richlands, why dont they play? could have something to do with size..... do you think? and more times than not the big owls are competitive with mt view and a much bigger iaeger.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

montcalm is in the same county as bluefield and princeton... why dont they play?... pocy is in the same county as richlands, why dont they play? could have something to do with size..... do you think? and more times than not the big owls are competitive with mt view and a much bigger iaeger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does Tazewell and/or Graham play Pocahontas?

[ QUOTE ]

didnt mean that as a richlands thing,,,, it was an example

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was a serious question... I no you didnt mean it as a Richlands thing, and Im sure they dont play because of the size difference...I just wasnt sure if Tazewell or Graham played them. haha

yeah its the size thing... mtview has double the students that BC does and so does Iaeger, tazewell and graham have i guess about 3 times the students pocy has, so it just wouldnt be right. Would be a no win situation for the bigger schools

The biggest point I was trying to make in BC not playing Mt View any longer was that there is a long tradition of BC playing Mt View. I can only think of a few times (doesn't mean it is a fact) that BC & MV have not played in the last 24 years. It has been a tradition...BUT...I agree that is a no-win situation for MV...at least it hasn't been in the last 8-10 years as BC could not help them in the points system with limited wins and a very limited schedule against top rate opponents. I don't know the Tazewell County schools traditions regarding Pocy, Tazewell, Richlands, etc. But I would compare it to Tazewell dropping in size and schedule strength and deciding to no longer play Richlands. T vs R will get more of a look on this board as it is a more familiar rivalry to those who post here but in McDowell BC vs. MV in the past when both teams were strong was one heck of a game and highlighted on the schedule!

[ QUOTE ]

yeah its the size thing... mtview has double the students that BC does and so does Iaeger, tazewell and graham have i guess about 3 times the students pocy has, so it just wouldnt be right. Would be a no win situation for the bigger schools

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. I went to Pocahontas for the first time in my life on Monday. I actually loved the atmosphere of the school, and very close knit group of kids/faculty there. The town, on the other hand, is in rough shape, but it is obvious that place was booming at one time.

To be honest it hurts MV as worse to play Iaeger as it does Big Creek,because Iaeger loads thir schedule with 5 single A teams in which MV gets no bonus points for if Iaeger wins those games,and the possibility of Iaeger beating the 4 other AA teams they face besides MV isn't very good either,so most of the years we only end up getting 9-10 points total from Iaeger. I would be willing to bet Big Creek will win at least 3 more games this year which would make them worth 12 points total.

I hope when the new school is open someone besides Mitch Estep runs it's football program,because if not it's going to be one of the biggest AA schools in WV and be playing the same schedule Iaeger plays.