TAZEWELL!!

superpringle

[ QUOTE ]

yeah Lou dont let them play both sports... Where i come from all other sports other were to keep you in shape for football.... look at the fans and the atmosphere at a football game. you cant find that in any other sport on the high school level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coach Peery doesnt "influence" us to play one sport..as a matter of fact he encourages us to play other sports. If one of us stop playing a sport its our choice, nobody elses...If that was the case i would have stopped playin basketball when i stopped playin football. Its nobodies choice but our own.

The problem that schools have in our area is enrollment. This has been discussed many times. There are only so many athletes, both boys and girls, to go around. We do not have the luxury of some larger schools such as Carroll, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, etc. with much bigger enrollments. Sports need to share athletes, not only to compete, but to be competitive. There is much pressure on coaches to win. It is well-publicized nationwide where coaches of "travel" teams in sports have required players to sign contracts committing only to that sport.

no.hes explaining the enrollment compared to other schools.do you know that Graham is one of the smaller schools in class AA DIV.3 if not the smallest.and Tazewell and Grundy couldnt be that far behind.i understand that Grundy is moving to single A next year.maybe some other schools should think about that.especially the ones that have the low student count body to do it.

I'm not suggesting consolidation at all. I'm saying that at smaller schools everywhere, you need athletes to play several sports just to field teams. We don't have 200 going out for football, and a different 100 players going out for baseball, etc. If players do specialize in only one sport, it will be very hard to have the numbers.

yeah like some of the east coast AAA teams in va that have 300 try out for each sport.if the schools around here could have half of that, it would be nice.most of the sports in swva when you try out 90%make because of lack of numbers.if the local football or b-ball programs had 150 kids try out,imagine what teams the area would have.

alot of talent in the stand during a football game at tazewell of friday nights. (Tax could be the most talented), then i see several kids i coached like Jason canon that could be starting that only plays baseball. i had several very talented players in youth that dont play at all now