Who will win the SWD in Volleyball?

BCRAM55

everything depends on the abingdon matches. abingdon lost 3 good ones in jackson, basham, and pionk from last year, but they still have their other middle hitter and some fairly solid players returning. also, they've gotten a new coach since last year. i've not seen them this season, so i don't know exactly how that's affected them.

carroll's beaten everyone in the swd but tazewell and abingdon, who they've yet to face. they've got abingdon thursday at carroll. that will tell a lot.

carroll over abingdon in 4 games. abingdon had previously lost to marion (who carroll defeated earlier) which i didn't realize until today. so, carroll is in sole possession of 1st in the swd, having defeated all other swd teams.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Carroll plays club volleyball in the off season,makes you play better during the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

they don't play club as a team, and they only have about 5-6 kids that do play. it helps them a lot, though, the ones that do.

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Salem destroyed Carroll. River Ridge District is the best district in the state overall. Look at what all they dominate.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm inclined to agree with you on the river ridge. top to bottom, every sport, they've always got somebody up for a state title.

as it is, grayson co's vball team beat rye cove in straight sets on tuesday to advance to the state semifinals, which will be played on friday night, finals saturday evening. good luck devils!

[ QUOTE ]

i'm inclined to agree with you on the river ridge. top to bottom, every sport, they've always got somebody up for a state title.

as it is, grayson co's vball team beat rye cove in straight sets on tuesday to advance to the state semifinals, which will be played on friday night, finals saturday evening. good luck devils!

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be Grayson's year. I saw them play earlier this year. They are well coached and play well together. They are what a team is all about. They are over the Glenvar bump in the road.

grayson lost in the state semis to eventual champion, strasburg. grayson's loss came 15-13 in 5 games. the last point came on a judgment "net" call. it was, in my opinion, a horrible call, and i officiated vball for 3yrs. but, grayson should've put them away when the opportunity was there.

other state champions:

aaa boys - thomas dale hs def. frank w. cox hs

aaa girls - deep run hs def. langley hs

aa girls - loudoun county hs def. grafton hs (one of the

best vball matches i've ever seen)

a girls - strasburg hs def. gate city hs