Bluefiled Daily Telegraph Article

MavsRock

I was reading this about the Bluefield-Shady Spring game, read the last sentence, I got a little bit of a laugh out of it.

Beavers dominate Shady Spring

By JED LOCKETT

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD  It was appropriate that Bluefield High School soccer standout Madison Hayes was crowned homecoming queen at halftime. Her football brethren authored a similar standout performance on the Beavers’ night of celebration.

Shaun Brooks gained 94 yards rushing and scored a pair of touchdowns in the first half. Will Cole threw three touchdown passes as well as the Bluefield Beavers rolled to a 54-8 homecoming win over the Shady Spring Tigers Friday night at Mitchell Stadium.

“We just played,†Bluefield head coach Fred Simon said when asked if his team wanted to make a statement. “Fortunately some things came our way and I’m surprised we won like that. I’m very happy to win.â€Â

“They got on us from the beginning,†said Shady Spring head coach Vince Culicerto. “The worst things that could happen to us did. We started off turning the ball over to a team like them and you’re in for a long night.â€Â

On the second play from scrimmage, Brooks opened the Beavers account with a spectacular 56-yard touchdown run. Before the Tigers could craft a response, they muffed the ensuing kickoff and Bluefield recovered on the Tigers’ 25.

Seven plays later, Cole threw his first touchdown, a 27-yard lob to Chase Joyner, who was wide-open in the corner of the end zone. On the Beavers’ next possession, Cole threw his second touchdown, a 16-yard hook up with Marcus Patterson.

With 5:23 remaining in the first quarter, Bluefield led 21-0.

“We’ve just got some weapons that are not easy for some teams to concentrate on,†Simon said. “We can pass. We can run. Defense is fairly quick. Our special teams are good. We just have a bunch of good kids that are willing to work hard and try to get better.â€Â

The Beavers proceeded to put the game away in the second quarter. Aaron Bowes ended a 66-yard drive with a four-yard run and Brooks ended a 55-yard drive with a one-yard run. Bluefield took a 35-0 lead into the locker room.

Brooks did not have to carry the ball again following his dramatic first-half performance.

“Our linemen were blocking real good,†Brooks said. “They made me look good so I had to make them look good.â€Â

“Shaun is just trying to get better and he is,†Simon said. “We were very pleased to see his performance tonight.â€Â

Cole threw his third touchdown, a 19-yard strike to Ansel Ponder, on the first play of the third quarter. Cole finished the evening 9-for-13 for 135 yards.

“I played all right, but I still missed a couple of throws that I thought I could have made,†Cole said. “You always want to get better, so there’s always room for improvement.â€Â

“He’s getting better,†Simon said. “That’s what we’re trying to do as a team. We’re trying to work and not make our practice be wasted. We’re just trying to get better each week. I think we are.â€Â

But Brooks and Cole were only two of the Beavers’ many weapons. The Tigers could not stop all of them.

“You can’t key on any one person,†Culicerto said. “I was more impressed with the defense, how well they hit. They just smacked you in the mouth and we weren’t able to answer it.â€Â

The only notable negative in the Beavers’ victory was the fact that they committed nine penalties for 72 yards. Four of those, for 40 yards, were assessed before Hayes was crowned homecoming queen.

But Simon was not worried.

“We’re not one of these teams that we’re going to make them run and this and that,†Simon said. “We know how important that is and we stress that all the time. And we know that in a big game if we get those it could get us beat.â€Â

It will not get any easier for Shady Spring (3-4). Next week they travel to face a top-ten team following a week of rest, No. 7 Scott, on the night of their homecoming. It will be a familiar situation.

“Going into top-ranked teams, going into their stadium and if you don’t have a good start,†Culicerto said, “we’ll use this week as a learning tool on how important it is to start well against a top-ranked team.â€Â

Bluefield (5-0) now turns their attention to a clash with local rival Mount View  and halfback Cordero High  next Friday.

“I think Cordero High’s probably the most talented  if not the most talented, one of the most talented backs in the state,†Simon said. “He’s got great balance and great speed and we’ll have a hard time stopping him.â€Â

But the Beavers are determined to keep their winning streak going.

“It’s not really a statement game. It’s just a regular game for us,†Brooks said of Friday’s win. “On to Mount View next Friday. They haven’t won that many but we don’t take no teams lightly. Even if we were going to play the Pittsburgh Steelers, we’re still going to practice hard. We’ll be ready.â€Â

I know some of us have called Simon and Bluefield a little cocky, but hey, The "Steel Curtain" did lose to Arizona last week, so ya never know.

If you look closely, Brooks said that. In no way would that have anything to do with Coach Simon being cocky.

And as Rules stated, it is nothing more than a kid talking about how they practice hard no matter what the situation is they are in.

What is so funny about that?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i think its humble what bluefield has said all season. every week they are saying that they are playing it like its just another game. Seems like they just want to "take care of business this year"

Personally I believe Simons learned his lesson along time ago about what can happen when you allow your players to not take a certain team seriously,but as for the Brooks kid and what he said it was a bit of a shot taken at MV when he said they haven't won that many,but what do you expect he's a kid with some talent,and believes in his team,and there's nothing wrong with him believing in his team,but at the same time with what he said one could also perceive him as being a bit cocky or arrogant lol.

Personally Bluefield should be really confident going into this game for several reasons 1. Mount View has never faired well against them at Mitchell Stadium. 2. Mount View relies heavily on High to move the ball on offense where Bluefield puts the ball in several players hands. 3 Bluefield has alot more experience overall at the skill positions other than running back.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

im pretty sure that Simon said nothing wrong and neither did brooks. Simon accredited High, and brooks said they weren't taking MV lightly.

You all are making much a do about nothing...

[ QUOTE ]

“I think Cordero High’s probably the most talented  if not the most talented, one of the most talented backs in the state,†Simon said. “He’s got great balance and great speed and we’ll have a hard time stopping him.â€Â

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it would appear Simon is certainly short-changing High...

Why do Mount View people always take the smallest things, put them into the complete opposite context of which they were meant, and say that such and such is disrespecting them? It's almost like they have to do this in order to get motivated to play someone.

You may want to read all the messages in this thread again sources,because it wasn't anyone from MV who started this topic,and I just,because I said it could be taken as a shot towards MV doesn't mean crap. I just gave an opinion which is nothing for you to get all upset over. If you would read what I've said you'd understand that I said you guys had the right to be confident in your team or cocky there's no reason for you not to be with a team of Bluefield's calibur. I even stated several reasons why Bluefield should win the game,but if you must know noone from Bluefield has to say anything in order to get Mount View pumped up for a game with you guys,but it's a bit funny how someone said so and so from the bluefield bball team said cordero said they were going to run all over Bluefield lol. I suppose that wasn't said in hopes of motivating some players from bluefield if any view this site. With that being said what's the difference. The funny thing is that it's not always some fan from MV taking what someone said out of context in order to get their team motivated it's the fact that someone from Bluefield always seems to get offended by what someone else might say. I never made a negative remark about Bluefield in anyway,and if you take it that I did you should reread what I said and think about it from my perspective,because I wasn't complaining about what the brooks kid said at all.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

You may want to read all the messages in this thread again sources,because it wasn't anyone from MV who started this topic,and I just,because I said it could be taken as a shot towards MV doesn't mean crap. I just gave an opinion which is nothing for you to get all upset over. If you would read what I've said you'd understand that I said you guys had the right to be confident in your team or cocky there's no reason for you not to be with a team of Bluefield's calibur. I even stated several reasons why Bluefield should win the game,but if you must know noone from Bluefield has to say anything in order to get Mount View pumped up for a game with you guys,but it's a bit funny how someone said so and so from the bluefield bball team said cordero said they were going to run all over Bluefield lol. I suppose that wasn't said in hopes of motivating some players from bluefield if any view this site. With that being said what's the difference. The funny thing is that it's not always some fan from MV taking what someone said out of context in order to get their team motivated it's the fact that someone from Bluefield always seems to get offended by what someone else might say. I never made a negative remark about Bluefield in anyway,and if you take it that I did you should reread what I said and think about it from my perspective,because I wasn't complaining about what the brooks kid said at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said that they haven't won many games...FACT. He then said that they can't take them lightly because of that. What the hell is arrogant about that.

[ QUOTE ]

This is funny. For some reason I am not in any way surprised with everyone's reaction to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reaction would have been the same if the situation was reversed; and it has been in the past. You knew that ahead of time and did it for the reaction...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

This is funny. For some reason I am not in any way surprised with everyone's reaction to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reaction would have been the same if the situation was reversed; and it has been in the past. You knew that ahead of time and did it for the reaction...

[/ QUOTE ]

Na, didn't really do it for the reation, nice try on the mind-reading though. But I'll tell ya, I thought it funny anyway, both the article and the reation.

Yeah my reaction has been like that in the past, but I've ben on hear for almost 5 years, appearantly I've matured a little bit, you have too. That a real pity in a way, kinda miss the good' ole fights between us about James Monroe & Bluefield.

Oh well, if JM & Bluefield play round 2 in the north panhandle as I believe has a good chance of happening, no one will be able to keep their mouths shut.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Na, didn't really do it for the reation, nice try on the mind-reading though. But I'll tell ya, I thought it funny anyway, both the article and the reation.

Yeah my reaction has been like that in the past, but I've ben on hear for almost 5 years, appearantly I've matured a little bit, you have too. That a real pity in a way, kinda miss the good' ole fights between us about James Monroe & Bluefield.

Oh well, if JM & Bluefield play round 2 in the north panhandle as I believe has a good chance of happening, no one will be able to keep their mouths shut.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh so your assuming your gonna make it to Wheeling? thats a pretty big assumption considering you havent ever been there yet...