I want to say this and not have it hidden in the crap pile, Re: J. Monroe

Bluefield_Rules

I want to wish their team and fans a safe trip to Bluefield on Friday night. I don't wish to get caught up in the stupidity that's taking place on the other thread with degrading each other's school/team. The way the build-up to this game is handled by the fans of both teams is very disappointing to me. Each year I hope for a more civil debate/discussion on the upcoming game, but that never comes to be. Both communities have a lot to be proud of and need to learn to accept the fact that both being successful are good for our region. Both schools are represented by outstanding, classly young men that have a lot of heart and desire.

I used to utterly dislike James Monroe because I felt they played a cupcake schedule and didn't earn it like the big boys of the AA class did. I had no respect for them or the way they went about winning. However, the character and atmosphere of the program changed when Don Jackson left, and it changed for the better. Coach Whitt seems to be a fine, respectible man. He's trying to build a program and he's doing a fine job. He's upgraded the schedule little by little and with the exception of Narrows and PikeView I don't believe people can comment much about it being easy. I have a lot of respect for the man because he's carried himself with class since the day he took the James Monroe job. If he had been there from day one James Monroe football would be in an even better place than they are currently. While James Monroe is definitely not one of my favorite teams nor do I think I could openly pull for them unless it directly benefitted Bluefield, I do have some amount of respect for them.

Bluefield/James Monroe has become quite a rivalry in the last decade. The two teams have squaded off in some epic battles and that looks to be the case again on Friday night. The eyes of most of the state, and all of Class AA, will be on Bluefield Friday night. I hope for a safe, well-played game all around and may the best team win. Let's give'em a show fellas and flex some Southern WV football muscle. Again, safe travels and best wishes on a safe game. Let's Go Beavers!

well i agree with most parts of it except they had maybe their two best teams under jackson 98 and 99..However I do agree they are making changes to their schedule...AA football is pretty weak in WV with the exception of a few teams each yr usually including blfd and JM...I hope skipping shady's game is worth it...good luck to both teams.

As a James Monroe fan i'll be the first to say I wish we didn't play Narrows and Pikeview. It does us absolutely no good! Other then them two games ,we play just as good of a schedule as anyone else in the area. We have made progress in our schedule the last couple of years.I know for a fact that we have tried to schedule Poca and Graham in the last couple of years but we didn't have the same dates available. We can't play Princeton anymore because of them joining that conference and we're lucky we can still get Greenbrier East. My biggest gripe is the constant bashing of JM's schedule. We play who we can play other than driving 3 to 4 hours who else are we supposed to play? Counting playing each other JM and Bluefield share the same 5 games. You guys play Princeton and we play G. east,not a whole lot of difference there so are schedules aren't that far apart.Any way best of luck to both teams friday night. I have a feeling it will be the first of two!

Yeah I have to admit guilt on the other post for getting it started. Guess I figured the wildfire would started sooner or later, so through the match in get it over-with.

Even with all the crap, it shows that it's as intense as ANY rivalry in this area.

I like what you said about the coaching change, no doubt the team the last couple of years has a discipline that they didn't used to have. Witt started in 2003, but I really believe that this run we've been on recently started with a 63-22 loss to Weir in the 2004 playoffs. Coach suspended some key players from the team for some off the field issues before that game to make a point. He knew it would probably end the season, and it could have cost him his job. I was very nervous prior to 2005 after all that, and as everyone can see, it seems to have strengthened the program.

Bluefield's the one that we know we'll have to bring everything to win, this year's no exception. This has a little differnt feel than 2004 when both teams were undefeated late. Bluefield is about where they were then, and James Monroe's about as good as we've ever been, and there's no doubt at all that both teams are playing at peak level right now.

[ QUOTE ]

...Witt started in 2003, but I really believe that this run we've been on recently started with a 63-22 loss to Weir in the 2004 playoffs. Coach suspended some key players from the team for some off the field issues before that game to make a point. He knew it would probably end the season, and it could have cost him his job.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that!! That was one of those "oh, crap, why'd he do that" type moments. But it did need to be done and kudos to him for doing it.

I love it when these two get together towards the end of the season and/or in the playoffs. The games are as tough and physical as they come and it make for some quality high school football for the fans in the stands. I enjoy going to Linside when the game is there and I hope the JM fans enjoy there trip to Mitchell this year with the new turf. Good luck to both teams for a clean game and no injuries.

Go Beavers!

well kevin im a Graham fan,and travel shouldnt be an issue if your team wants a tough schedule.Graham has traveled long distances to get quality teams and it didnt effect the way the team played at all.now i dont mind drving long distances to see a good game.but thats me.some people dont mind driving 100 miles and some dont want drive 5 miles.if James Monroe wants to see how good their team can handle tough teams they are gonna have to travel period.i wish Graham would pick up some of those TN teams we played a few years back,that was fun to go to different stadiums i had never been before.i know if i was a head coach and wanted to schedule better teams id do it one way or the other.

[ QUOTE ]

I want to wish their team and fans a safe trip to Bluefield on Friday night. I don't wish to get caught up in the stupidity that's taking place on the other thread with degrading each other's school/team. The way the build-up to this game is handled by the fans of both teams is very disappointing to me. Each year I hope for a more civil debate/discussion on the upcoming game, but that never comes to be. Both communities have a lot to be proud of and need to learn to accept the fact that both being successful are good for our region. Both schools are represented by outstanding, classly young men that have a lot of heart and desire.

I used to utterly dislike James Monroe because I felt they played a cupcake schedule and didn't earn it like the big boys of the AA class did. I had no respect for them or the way they went about winning. However, the character and atmosphere of the program changed when Don Jackson left, and it changed for the better. Coach Whitt seems to be a fine, respectible man. He's trying to build a program and he's doing a fine job. He's upgraded the schedule little by little and with the exception of Narrows and PikeView I don't believe people can comment much about it being easy. I have a lot of respect for the man because he's carried himself with class since the day he took the James Monroe job. If he had been there from day one James Monroe football would be in an even better place than they are currently. While James Monroe is definitely not one of my favorite teams nor do I think I could openly pull for them unless it directly benefitted Bluefield, I do have some amount of respect for them.

Bluefield/James Monroe has become quite a rivalry in the last decade. The two teams have squaded off in some epic battles and that looks to be the case again on Friday night. The eyes of most of the state, and all of Class AA, will be on Bluefield Friday night. I hope for a safe, well-played game all around and may the best team win. Let's give'em a show fellas and flex some Southern WV football muscle. Again, safe travels and best wishes on a safe game. Let's Go Beavers!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always been the less diplomatic and emotional one....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always been the less diplomatic and emotional one....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've learned that from experience. As did it Dean's shin many years ago...lol

[ QUOTE ]

What is the farthest that JM has to travel for a game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wheeling smile.gif -saying that with my fingers crossed and praying

During the Regular season this year, Mount View

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What is the farthest that JM has to travel for a game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wheeling smile.gif -saying that with my fingers crossed and praying

During the Regular season this year, Mount View

[/ QUOTE ]

A ride down to McDowell County on 52 is comparable to a 3 hour ride on the interstate. It wears on you just as bad.