bluefield throwback

dawgs86

i was looking on "uni-watch" ( http://www.uniwatchblog.com/ ) which is pretty interesting. I found a link that went to a collector in Arizona of old helmets from all over and he has a Bluefield one. It doesnt have a date on it but it looks pretty cool. So I thought id put the picture up here and see if someone knows when Bluefield wore these. blog_helmets_bluefield.jpg

The website i got the picture from was http://kenn.com/blog/?p=123

[ QUOTE ]

i was looking on "uni-watch" ( http://www.uniwatchblog.com/ ) which is pretty interesting. I found a link that went to a collector in Arizona of old helmets from all over and he has a Bluefield one. It doesnt have a date on it but it looks pretty cool. So I thought id put the picture up here and see if someone knows when Bluefield wore these. blog_helmets_bluefield.jpg

The website i got the picture from was http://kenn.com/blog/?p=123

[/ QUOTE ]

Late 80's thru early 90's I know.

I know you can by the mini helmets around Bluefield for most area teams, but does anyone know if there are full size Bluefield helments that can be purchased and where from? I'd like to have one to display in a spare bedroom in my house with my other sports collectables.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

After the season you might want to try asking Coach Simon if he would be willing to sell you an old game helmet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this something he has done in the past?

[/ QUOTE ]

To my knowledge, yes.

I have no idea what he would charge but he did give us the option to buy jerseys, helmets, etc after my senior season ('01). The best thing to do would be to contact the high school and ask to speak with him or leave contact info for him to call you back.

[ QUOTE ]

wore them when i was there..87 grad

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom, ya sure about that? I graduated in 1986, and I know that under Chmara, the helmets were plain on the sides. Did they switch to that when Freddy took over as coach?

I work that one in '90, '91, 92... I guess it is considered a classic.

Skateboards Plus in the mall carries those same mini helmets... Charley Dodson put's 'em in there for $25

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

wore them when i was there..87 grad

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom, ya sure about that? I graduated in 1986, and I know that under Chmara, the helmets were plain on the sides. Did they switch to that when Freddy took over as coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beaverhokie, you may be right, i got the yearbook out to take a looksee and there were pics of the plain sided helmet but also pics of that logo on equipment bldg and many other things so maybe thats why it sticks out in my head..so now, im not really sure...the logo was there but was it on the helmets?? not sure...lol

I coulda swore that during the 80's (82-86) that the Beaver helmets were plain on the sides and had white stripes down the middle. Of course I was killing lots of brain cells then so I don't really know.

[ QUOTE ]

I coulda swore that during the 80's (82-86) that the Beaver helmets were plain on the sides and had white stripes down the middle. Of course I was killing lots of brain cells then so I don't really know.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're definitely right. During the Chmara years, they were the plain helmets with the white stripes, with nothing on the side. Freddy took over when I graduated (1986), so the 1986-1987 year was his first, and the different helmets might have come out that year or the next one.

Sort of related...Chmara won the AAA championship (over Barboursville) in the fall of 1984 (1984-1985 school year), and that was supposed to be his last year. He came back for one more year my senior year (1985-1986), and they were horrible...2-8, if I recall correctly. He should have left early. The reason for that was the lack of seniors on that team. There were something like 5 kids left. Three years earlier, as 9th graders, there were like 20-some in that football class. I was one of the missing by then. I had heard too many nightmare stories about Farrell, and I didn't have the drive to want to play THAT bad, I guess.

sorry... first time I read my message a couple up. I meant to say that we wore those in the early 90's. I wore them in '90, '91, and '92. and it's hard to believe that the helmet I wore is considered throwback or classic - yikes, guess I am getting old.

anyways, Charley Dodson sells that helmet and all the other local high school helmets in the mall at Skateboards Plus (my store)