James Monroe 48 Tolsia 6 FINAL

gomavs

As previously said, the first quarter looked frighteningly like last year's game, but after Tolsia failed to convert at the 20 on the next drive and Kiesel carried defenders for about 25 of the 77 yd run he had, the momentum changed in a big way and the Mavs dominated every phase of the game.

Biggest thing is games Monroe needs to do a better job of making a statement early.

Now it's time for Magnolia, a team I don't know much about. I fell slightly better playing them than Wyoming East because they haven't played us already, but the fact that they whipped Wyoming East and Tolsia like they did shows that we need to bring the wood on both sides of the ball next week.

ive got a couple good friends on the eagles team, and im going to tell you this: those boys have nothing better to do than ruin somebody's hopes for a title appearance (bluefield basketball '07). they love football, live it and all that good stuff...the only reason they aren't as good as some of the other teams it that they have very few numbers to pick from. not unlike a lot of AA teams, but this one is special.

the mavs better show up, and im sure they will...but they better show up.

I'm sure we'll show up, biggest thing is to take control early. We didn't do that until well into the 2nd quarter last night and let a good team hang around alot long than I wanted us too.

Hopefully the plowboys up front can take up where they left off last night for 3 more games.

Once James Monroe picked things up in the 2nd quarter and started rolling, they took over the game. But I have to say again that in that 1st quarter I had visions of past playoff losses dancing in my head. And those were ugly visions. My daughter made a prediction on the way to the game last night. She said she had a feeling that if James Monroe could win that first playoff game against Tolsia, then they would go all the way to Wheeling this year. I'm going to side with her in that prediction. I've seen enough of James Monroe football to know they are capable of getting there, but they must take control early and no more 1st quarter naps! It only gets tougher from here on out, especially with the likes of defending champions, Wayne, being in their bracket. This coming weekend James Monroe begins another 1-game season when #6 Magnolia rolls into Lindside. Magnolia brings with them a 9-2 record, with their only losses being in their first 2 games of the season. They share two common opponents with James Monroe in Tolsia and Wyoming East, both of which they won.

After the first quarter I don't believe Tolsia got another first down until about a minute to go in the game.Great job by the defense but they need to come out that way.I've noticed over the years it takes our defensive coaches about a quarter to adjust to what the other team is doing.We need to adjust a little sooner then that to be sucessful against the really good teams.

[ QUOTE ]

After the first quarter I don't believe Tolsia got another first down until about a minute to go in the game.Great job by the defense but they need to come out that way.I've noticed over the years it takes our defensive coaches about a quarter to adjust to what the other team is doing.We need to adjust a little sooner then that to be sucessful against the really good teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. To my knowledge James Monroe has never lost a playoff game when they've scored first. You can't afford to spot these good teams an early score like we did last night. Most years, playoff losses have been by a touchdown or closer, so it's vital to try and draw first blood this time of year.

[ QUOTE ]

What kind of team did Tolsia have this year after losing B.J. Evans?

[/ QUOTE ]

They seemed to have lost alot of depth, they graduated alot of people. Same basic grind it out offense. #33 Virgil Salmons there freshan FB made alot of noise early. He wasn't the same when he got held up and the entire Maverick front 7 lit him up, but he'll probably be heard from again.

Tolsia wasn't that bad, they simply wore down against a bigger, deeper, and better conditioned team as the game went along.

Let us not start all that crap talking. The only thing that matters it both teams won in convincing fashion and are moving on in the playoffs. We don't need to compare how long each team's starters played or how their JV did...let's please not start that.

Good luck and God Bless all teams still involved in the playoffs.

Not to worried about any "crap talking". Honestly not too concerned with how anyone besides James Monroe and Magnolia are playing. We've got plenty to handle with Magnolia, that's the task at hand. Bluefield and Roane County might as well be on another planet.

I wasn't talking about anyone who had already posted, but I know somebody from Bluefield might get on and start saying stuff. We have fans like that, unfortunately. When I first saw that, I thought about saying something about that stuff, but that is very immature.

[ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about anyone who had already posted, but I know somebody from Bluefield might get on and start saying stuff. We have fans like that, unfortunately. When I first saw that, I thought about saying something about that stuff, but that is very immature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Immature to post how long Bluefield's Varsity stayed in the game compared to James Monroe?

I'm pretty sure he was just stating a fact there BoGeavers.......

i dont care who gets rattled about this statement, but im not too oncerned about the Beavs bracket till Wheeling but if i were JM, id be woried about Wayne..one of those 2 will be in Wheeling and im not so sure JM wont choke again in the big game..Wayne has been there and has the expereince, just not so sure about JM. Oh and not to mention the fact that id LOVE to see a Beaver/Pioneer rematch in Wheeling. GO BEAVERS !!

[ QUOTE ]

i dont care who gets rattled about this statement, but im not too oncerned about the Beavs bracket till Wheeling but if i were JM, id be woried about Wayne..one of those 2 will be in Wheeling and im not so sure JM wont choke again in the big game..Wayne has been there and has the expereince, just not so sure about JM. Oh and not to mention the fact that id LOVE to see a Beaver/Pioneer rematch in Wheeling. GO BEAVERS !!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not concerned with anyone but Magnolia right now. At this point anyone can get their season ended, so if we don't beat the Blue Eagles, Wayne's a mute point.

Not starting anything here, but I've heard alot of Bluefield folks see how James Monroe will certainly lose to Wayne. I really don't think that'll be the case. It's my honest belief that alot of Bluefield's fans DO NOT want to see James Monroe play them in Wheeling, with good reason. Everyone knows it's hard to beat someone twice, especially when you only beat them by 7 at home. That's just my thoughts though.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not concerned with anyone but Magnolia right now. At this point anyone can get their season ended, so if we don't beat the Blue Eagles, Wayne's a mute point.

Not starting anything here, but I've heard alot of Bluefield folks see how James Monroe will certainly lose to Wayne. I really don't think that'll be the case. It's my honest belief that alot of Bluefield's fans DO NOT want to see James Monroe play them in Wheeling, with good reason. Everyone knows it's hard to beat someone twice, especially when you only beat them by 7 at home. That's just my thoughts though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with almost all of this...I actually have the Mavs and the Beavers meeting at Wheeling Island Stadium on Nov. 30th, to beat the state championship out of each other. Just as James Monroe should be focusing on Magnolia, the Beavers have to focus on no one but Chapmanville. Chapmanville will be flying high off of their comeback win over the Keyser Golden Wave and Bluefield better be ready to have a battle at Mitchell Stadium. I have heard some good things about Magnolia and I think they will keep it close for the first half and maybe even through the 3rd quarter, but James Monroe is one of the best conditioned teams I have seen this year. I am not sure how well Magnolia is conditioned but that big ol' offensive line from James Monroe seems to wear everyone down by the 4th quarter. Either way, both Bluefield and James Monroe have to focus on the team at hand, before we can dream of playing each other for a state title.

Good luck and God Bless to all the playoff teams still alive.