MONROE MAGNOLIA

GRIDIRON

Guest BEAVERTAIL

honestly ive heard a lot about Jm finishing them off in the second half but i just dont see it.

i mean they scored 0 points in bluefield in the second half and yes they scored some in the second half on scott, but i think both teams are physically even matched.

I think the game will be determined by who scores first...

[ QUOTE ]

i mean they scored 0 points in bluefield in the second half and yes they scored some in the second half on scott, but i think both teams are physically even matched.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing Scott and Bluefield to this team is comparing Apples & Oranges. James Monroe has made personnel changes since both of those games, and Magnolia isn't exactly a copycat of either of those teams. The situation is different.

As much as i dont want to say it, JM is a very good team overall. I dont think magnolia will stand much of a chance against monroe since they dont have any previous experience, that i know of, against the single wing. The following week, granted they win this week, should really show what they have, since they will most likely have to travel to a talented wayne team.

Since Wayne was brought up, I know they're not the game at hand, but I heard their MVP running back (Justin Gilkerson) from last year's title game was hurt last week. Anyone heard anything about this?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing Scott and Bluefield to this team is comparing Apples & Oranges. James Monroe has made personnel changes since both of those games, and Magnolia isn't exactly a copycat of either of those teams. The situation is different.

[/ QUOTE ]

all im saying is that the one close game Jm played in and the relatively close game they played in they didnt dominate the second half. thats what i mean.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Since Wayne was brought up, I know they're not the game at hand, but I heard their MVP running back (Justin Gilkerson) from last year's title game was hurt last week. Anyone heard anything about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually its true... he was diving for the pylon on his second TD and did something to his shoulder. I dont think it was serious though...

The article on this past weekend's Wayne/Grafton game at http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x1525940867 says:

"Justin Gilkerson scored a pair of second quarter touchdowns and finished as the game's leading rusher with 80 yards on eight carries, despite missing the second half with a shoulder injury. The injury occurred as Gilkerson stretched out for the pylon on his second score -- a 36-yard scamper when he beat Grafton's Sherman Royster to the edge of the end zone."

The Charleston Gazette http://wvgazette.com/section/Prep+Sports/Wayne/200711115 says he missed 3 games earlier in the season with an injured shoulder??? I do not know if this is correct, but that's what the article says.

"Gilkerson’s injury occurred midway through the second quarter on a 36-yard scoring jaunt. He took the handoff on a misdirection play to the left side and dashed in for the score, but he had to hurdle a Bearcat defender to reach the end zone. Gilkerson injured his shoulder on the dive, and didn’t return to the game. Gilkerson missed three games due to a separated shoulder against Chesapeake, Ohio, earlier in the season."

[ QUOTE ]

i dont have a dog in this fight but will say one team that ran the single wing very very good for years against the same teams and those teams had difficulty with it was giles. this offense is one of distraction and deception. if ran well it is very difficult to stop the run and you can pass out of this offense. when a team has not played it but only watched it on films more difficult to defend. and no matter how much you try to run it on your team to give defense a sense of it you cannot match the precision of it from a team that runs it all the time. just my observation. and more than likely will catch heck from those from blfd saying i am defending jm.

[/ QUOTE ]

James Monroe doesn't run the single wing like Giles does...the misdirection and deception just isn't the same. JM lines up in the single wing and just runs straight ahead...I bet they ran the same play 30+ times against Bluefield. And watching Scott play was almost the same as watching JM...direct snap, run straight ahead. Nothing like the Giles single wing...

Per an article dated 11/13/07 in “The Intelligencer -- Wheeling News Registerâ€, it says that Magnolia’s defensive coordinator, Bob Ripley, has experience with the single wing because he ran it as a high school player back in the 60s and that James Monroe's version looks similar to what he ran.

http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/content.detail/id/502146.html?nav=523

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

If I am correct giles won that scrimmage if I do recall, you would have to ask people closer to program

[/ QUOTE ]

anybody?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

You'll be pumping ovaltine!

[/ QUOTE ]

or salty shantys one shot tea! haha. i dont think the guy on that video knows lol

Giles beat James Monroe at least 21-0 in that scrimmage. It would be interesting to see what would happen if they played eachother now, James Monroe has improved alot since then.