MONROE MAGNOLIA

GRIDIRON

Anyone know much about the Blue Eagles? I've heard their FB's pretty tought, and they seem to have more WR's listed on there roster than most which leads me to believe they have a decent passing attack.

Anyone who's heard about them or seen them play I'm curious what the Mavericks will see Saturday.

I know a couple people from up around the New Martinsville area with close ties to the Magnolia program and they are a very fundamentally sound football team. They do things and they do it right. They aren't the fastest team around, but do have decent speed and they balance their offense around it. They play hard nosed defense and will come at you all night long.

I think that if James Monroe plays their normal game and limits their mistakes then it should be a win for the Mavs, but if they come out the least bit flat then they will have their plate full with the Blue Eagles. But again, I expect the JM to come out on top, and I would go as far as to say that this game should be worth the price of admission.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

from what i understand and think, it will be a game of strengths with JMs ability to run the ball and Mags ability to stop the run. If it was friday i would be in lindside watching the game.

this will be a battle of the first half. If magnolia gets up early and forces JM to go to the pass, JM will struggle and have a really hard time coming back.

I have a friend from New Martinsville. I talked to him up at the WVU game this past week and he said Magnolia has a FB that makes owen schmitt look like a sissy. He said if you shut him down you beat them... But he said its a hard task shutting him down

Guest BEAVERTAIL

magnolia has a running back named Stingray Bates according to their roster on WVSSAC. what a name. i hope he is good enough to back up that name haha

Guest BEAVERTAIL

the fullback's name is Steven Zajdowicz and has rushed for over a thousand yards this season. Pretty good on defense as well at middle linebacker...

[ QUOTE ]

I am sure James Monroe is real scared of the owen schmitt ( not really) power back...come on makes him look like a sissy have you seen owen's lifts...i am sure he is a good tough nosed high school back

[/ QUOTE ]

Look how caught up you in youre "James Monroe is unbeatable " self...

You heard if here first, Magnolias FB is a better rusher than anbody on James Monroe's team

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

I can see Magnolia beating James Monroe, but does anyone else other than I see the easy opportunity for Berkley Springs to beat Scott?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well its a LONG drive for scott... And Berkeley Springs and Scott can both light it up, with both defenses lacking. This game may not be over till 11 with the way these teams score and let teams score... I could see it happening.

[ QUOTE ]

they are a very fundamentally sound football team. They do things and they do it right. They aren't the fastest team around, but do have decent speed and they balance their offense around it. They play hard nosed defense and will come at you all night long.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like Frank Beamer...if only you had said "that Magnolia team...they'll really get after ya...", I would have sworn FB was posting on my board. LOL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

they are a very fundamentally sound football team. They do things and they do it right. They aren't the fastest team around, but do have decent speed and they balance their offense around it. They play hard nosed defense and will come at you all night long.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like Frank Beamer...if only you had said "that Magnolia team...they'll really get after ya...", I would have sworn FB was posting on my board. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

I had just finished browsing TSL when I made that post! LOL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I am sure James Monroe is real scared of the owen schmitt ( not really) power back...come on makes him look like a sissy have you seen owen's lifts...i am sure he is a good tough nosed high school back

[/ QUOTE ]

Look how caught up you in youre "James Monroe is unbeatable " self...

You heard if here first, Magnolias FB is a better rusher than anbody on James Monroe's team

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the program I have, "which isn't in front of me at the moment so I ay have looked at the wrong back" the biggest back on Magnolia's team is 5-8 205. That is 5 pounds lighter and 6 inches shorter that Tolsia's back we faced Friday not to mention JM has already faced a good back when we played Scott. I'm sure this guy is talented but one guy doesn't win a football game. The other thing no one is talking about is how will Magnolia's defense handle seeing the Single Wing for the first time. I don't care who you are, when you line about across the ball from an offensive scheme you have never faced before it will take you time to adjust. Hopefully it will take several possessions for Magnolia to adapt and we can jump out to an early lead. Bottom line: I am convinced we have that athletes to win We just need to come out strong in the first quarter, not turn the ball over and not give up big plays on defense.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

who cares how big the back is? our nose guard is 5'7 maybe 180 dripping wet but he gets the job done. Who cares how big a person is? and as for the single wing, yeah they may not have seen it, but im sure they have watched it on tape and their scout team is running it as well.

i think JM will win as long as they arent forced to pass, or the other team can pass on them. Yeah bluefields numbers werent that great through the air and you can say JM has improved, but that was bluefields worst game passing the ball all season. We had ansel ponder WIDE OPEN down the sideline twice. IN A ROW! We had an off night on one dimension of our offense, so what? we still got the W. JM cant afford that as they are a 1 dimensional team. Which brings me back to the single wing, which can hurt you just as much as it can help you. One busted blocking assignment and you have a 7 yard loss. now it also allows for a big play, but those 7 and 10 yard losses are drive killers.

So what it is gonna take for Magnolia to win?

Their D line stopping the running attack. And if Magnolia's Freshman QB gets hot like he has been lately, its over.

JM depends on their running game. Its their best defense. Magnolia stops it, we have an upset...

what does bluefield/Jm have to do with Magnolia, how old are you...must be a teenager?

Magnolia I am sure has a good team they would not be here if not...I am sure JM is very good we will see what happens....don't defend what you have not seen.

he mentioned the JM/Bluefield game to give an example. Dont get your panties in a bunch there big guy.

Good job of using Bluefields nose tackle as an example of size. He is arguably the strongest person on the team and is one of the smallest and I bet it's funny being an offensive lineman and seeing him come up matched against you.

i dont have a dog in this fight but will say one team that ran the single wing very very good for years against the same teams and those teams had difficulty with it was giles. this offense is one of distraction and deception. if ran well it is very difficult to stop the run and you can pass out of this offense. when a team has not played it but only watched it on films more difficult to defend. and no matter how much you try to run it on your team to give defense a sense of it you cannot match the precision of it from a team that runs it all the time. just my observation. and more than likely will catch heck from those from blfd saying i am defending jm.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

what does bluefield/Jm have to do with Magnolia, how old are you...must be a teenager?

Magnolia I am sure has a good team they would not be here if not...I am sure JM is very good we will see what happens....don't defend what you have not seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has everything to do with it... the comment was made that JMs pass defense was a whole lot better (may have been onTSP)... I was stating that JM has a good defense but they can be beat in the air. Thats recurrent in JM teams... i believe they have been beaten in the playoff a few times with the long ball...

what havent i seen? Ive seen JM play twice. Scott and Bluefield. I havent said anything about magnolia except that if their d line plays the way they are advertised its gonna be hard to win. I know magnolia has a freshman QB who continues to improve as the season goes along.

I can back up these statements with facts too:

Magnolia on average is giving up 7.3 points a game during their last 9 games.

They have shutout 2 playoff teams, Wyoming East and Tyler.

They also held Tolsia to 8 points.

I also know that Magnolia had 6 turnovers against Wyoming East, but held them scoreless and to a mere 69 yards. (thats impressive to me. however if they turn the ball over that much against JM, it may be over for them)

And as for that WE game, Magnolia held them to 2... i repeat 2, rushing yards. 67 passing yards. looks like to me the only way to beat them is through the air. And from what "ive seen" JM will have trouble doung that as Magnolia held Grogg who is one of the better passers in the area to just 67.

as for the QB ,Justin Fox, has thrown for just under a thousand yards and 9 tds. He also has the magnolia offense averaging over 20 points a game.

They also post an away mark of 5-1, which means they are good on the road as well, but this trip may be longer than any before.

All this proves to me that they are a team that can cause problems for JM.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It has everything to do with it... the comment was made that JMs pass defense was a whole lot better (may have been onTSP)... I was stating that JM has a good defense but they can be beat in the air. Thats recurrent in JM teams... i believe they have been beaten in the playoff a few times with the long ball...

what havent i seen? Ive seen JM play twice. Scott and Bluefield. I havent said anything about magnolia except that if their d line plays the way they are advertised its gonna be hard to win. I know magnolia has a freshman QB who continues to improve as the season goes along.

I can back up these statements with facts too:

Magnolia on average is giving up 7.3 points a game during their last 9 games.

They have shutout 2 playoff teams, Wyoming East and Tyler.

They also held Tolsia to 8 points.

I also know that Magnolia had 6 turnovers against Wyoming East, but held them scoreless and to a mere 69 yards. (thats impressive to me. however if they turn the ball over that much against JM, it may be over for them)

And as for that WE game, Magnolia held them to 2... i repeat 2, rushing yards. 67 passing yards. looks like to me the only way to beat them is through the air. And from what "ive seen" JM will have trouble doung that as Magnolia held Grogg who is one of the better passers in the area to just 67.

as for the QB ,Justin Fox, has thrown for just under a thousand yards and 9 tds. He also has the magnolia offense averaging over 20 points a game.

They also post an away mark of 5-1, which means they are good on the road as well, but this trip may be longer than any before.

All this proves to me that they are a team that can cause problems for JM.

[/ QUOTE ]

-----------------------------

We don't have a chance...lol

I think you'll see a low scoring game early and James Monroe take control in the second half. As was already said, they had alot of turnovers against Wyoming East who had a very average defense. Have a bunch of turnovers in Lindside, and that trip back home will be alot longer than the one coming down.

I don't necessarily see this being a 48-6 game like last week, but we seemed to get back on track offensively, and I think Magolia's front line will have some problems with James Monroe's O-line.

One thing is for certain though, if Magnolia spends too much time practicing for the single wing and get's blindsided by the Maverick D, they won't be worried what offensive formation we lined up in.