Question about Bluefield/Scott/etc college prospects.

BeaverHokie

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

JT Powell had a rivals page last year with no offers from any D-1 schools. You can make your own profile on rivals or scout so being on there doesnt necessarily mean you are a big time prospect.

I know for a fact that Shaun Brooks has gotten offers. Ansel Ponder, from what Ive heard, has been told by WVU that if his test grades are good, they will offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

All this makes me wonder why more Bluefield kids don't get scholarships. Is it problems with grades? Is the Bluefield area just overlooked? Are the kids good team players, but not so good at the college level?

I can only speak from my experience a bit over 20 years ago. I graduated from BHS and went to Virginia Tech, and I was totally overwhelmed. The kids from Tidewater and Northern Virginia were far, far more prepared for college work than I was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think part of it has to do with the fact that Coach Simon does very little to help his players beyond the high school level, when they can help him. I've known of instances where he has kept letters of interest from players, refused to return calls from college coaches about his players, and failed to copy game film for when requested to send off to recruiters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I admit, I'm a little shocked by that. Most coaches are out there talking up their players. Why on earth is he doing the complete opposite? Has he had a run-in with a college coach, or a bad relationship with a college program? I always heard that Carlock wouldn't have anything to do with Virginia Tech, for instance, and tried to keep his kids from going there. No idea if there is any truth to that, though.

Seriously, though, if what you're saying is correct, that is pretty pathetic of Freddy. What on earth is his motivation for doing that?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

JT Powell had a rivals page last year with no offers from any D-1 schools. You can make your own profile on rivals or scout so being on there doesnt necessarily mean you are a big time prospect.

I know for a fact that Shaun Brooks has gotten offers. Ansel Ponder, from what Ive heard, has been told by WVU that if his test grades are good, they will offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

All this makes me wonder why more Bluefield kids don't get scholarships. Is it problems with grades? Is the Bluefield area just overlooked? Are the kids good team players, but not so good at the college level?

I can only speak from my experience a bit over 20 years ago. I graduated from BHS and went to Virginia Tech, and I was totally overwhelmed. The kids from Tidewater and Northern Virginia were far, far more prepared for college work than I was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think part of it has to do with the fact that Coach Simon does very little to help his players beyond the high school level, when they can help him. I've known of instances where he has kept letters of interest from players, refused to return calls from college coaches about his players, and failed to copy game film for when requested to send off to recruiters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I admit, I'm a little shocked by that. Most coaches are out there talking up their players. Why on earth is he doing the complete opposite? Has he had a run-in with a college coach, or a bad relationship with a college program? I always heard that Carlock wouldn't have anything to do with Virginia Tech, for instance, and tried to keep his kids from going there. No idea if there is any truth to that, though.

Seriously, though, if what you're saying is correct, that is pretty pathetic of Freddy. What on earth is his motivation for doing that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know Bluefield has talent, and has always had talented athletes, and it really shocks me too that Coach Simon would have that attitude. What's up with that?

One of the biggest things to do with recruiting is the one thing you can't exactly coach or teach: genetics!

You can't teach height and weight and you can only marginally improve speed (no matter how much you do, a 5.1 OL prospect will never run a 4,3 forty). Unless your talent is truely exceptional, under-sized kids won't recieve offers from big schools.

Take the Fuller kid from Richlands. If he is 5'10" w/ his stats, he's going to Emory and not VT.

Also, going to camps has a lot to do with offers as well. If you don't go to camps, you'll likely not get noticed.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rumors are a dime a dozen on here, but that stuff wouldn't surprise me. Bluefield has great players year in & year out, I've often owndered why they're not a hot-bed of college recruiting.

I live in Monroe Co, but I 've went to college and work enough in the Bluefield area to know that Coach Simon doesn't go very far out of his way the help anyone but Coach Simon. He's always struck me as a somewhat arrogant and selfish man.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]