Question about Bluefield/Scott/etc college prospects.

BeaverHokie

from what I know, Ansel Ponder is being looked at by Wake Forest, WVU, Marshall, VT and Coastal Carolina. Shaun Brooks is being looked at by about 20 schools including Rutgers, WVU, Marshall, UConn, Pitt, Penn State, Illinois, Notre Dame and some other D-1's, the most recent being an offering letter from a D-2 school in California.

From what I have heard of Roberts, Illinois, Penn State, WVU, Marshall, and Michigan (I think) are teams looking into him.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

from talking to brooks father (who is the pastor of my church) he said the people that are really looking into brooks are coastal carolina and some JUCO schools. He hopes Shawn goes to a JUCO school first...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Are these offers or just letters of interest?

[/ QUOTE ]

Letters of interest...

[/ QUOTE ]

yep

L.O.I.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rocks, L.O.I. is an abbreviation for Letter Of Intent!

im NOT tryin to start anything here...but if both are getting looks at by big time D-1 schools and so many of them at that...why arent they up there on the rivals list...hell they arent even on rivals.com...have either one of them got offers?

[ QUOTE ]

im NOT tryin to start anything here...but if both are getting looks at by big time D-1 schools and so many of them at that...why arent they up there on the rivals list...hell they arent even on rivals.com...have either one of them got offers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rivals.com is not the end all/be all of recruiting. They don't have the best track record when it comes to handing out stars...

JT Powell had a rivals page last year with no offers from any D-1 schools. You can make your own profile on rivals or scout so being on there doesnt necessarily mean you are a big time prospect.

I know for a fact that Shaun Brooks has gotten offers. Ansel Ponder, from what Ive heard, has been told by WVU that if his test grades are good, they will offer.

[ QUOTE ]

JT Powell is doing a great job as a freshman at West Virginia State...Has a INT , fumble recovery and 7 tackles a few weeks ago

[/ QUOTE ]

JT finished the season as the 7th leading tackler at State with 53 and he missed the final game of the season. He had four tackles for a loss, an INT, 5 pass break-ups, and a fumble recovery. Not to shabby for a true freshman...

[ QUOTE ]

JT Powell had a rivals page last year with no offers from any D-1 schools. You can make your own profile on rivals or scout so being on there doesnt necessarily mean you are a big time prospect.

I know for a fact that Shaun Brooks has gotten offers. Ansel Ponder, from what Ive heard, has been told by WVU that if his test grades are good, they will offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

All this makes me wonder why more Bluefield kids don't get scholarships. Is it problems with grades? Is the Bluefield area just overlooked? Are the kids good team players, but not so good at the college level?

I can only speak from my experience a bit over 20 years ago. I graduated from BHS and went to Virginia Tech, and I was totally overwhelmed. The kids from Tidewater and Northern Virginia were far, far more prepared for college work than I was.

[ QUOTE ]

I can only speak from my experience a bit over 20 years ago. I graduated from BHS and went to Virginia Tech, and I was totally overwhelmed. The kids from Tidewater and Northern Virginia were far, far more prepared for college work than I was.

[/ QUOTE ]

HA! I can agree with that although I brought most of my "lack of preparedness" on myself...LOL!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All this makes me wonder why more Bluefield kids don't get scholarships. Is it problems with grades? Is the Bluefield area just overlooked? Are the kids good team players, but not so good at the college level?

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been many athletes from Bluefield that could have played at a lot of places but grades were the only thing holding them back. But on the other hand, there are many kids that play football for Bluefield who do get the opportunity to play somewhere after high school, whether it be West Virginia State, Concord, University of Charleston or any other smaller school in the state. Most of them just prefer to go to a college of their choice than continue their football career. If they have the talent to play at the bigger schools in the state like Marshall or WVU then those colleges most likely will rely on them to get the Promise Scholarship and come as a walk-on so they can save their scholarships for the higher rated out of state recruits.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think part of it has to do with the fact that Coach Simon does very little to help his players beyond the high school level, when they can help him. I've known of instances where he has kept letters of interest from players, refused to return calls from college coaches about his players, and failed to copy game film for when requested to send off to recruiters.

I talked to JT Powell at the Scott game. He's playing football at WV State and somebody told me is 3rd on the team in tackles and is majoring in Criminal Justice because unless you're an excellent D-2 or D-3 player. You're not getting an offer to play NFL ball

Guest JJBrickface

I think Ponder and Brooks both should get some looks. JUCO isnt a bad option for Brooks. Which is the school that Tynes went to? Hargrave? WVU usually has a lot of recruits from there I think.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i think thats the best bet for him, especially if his grades are low...

I just hope Brooks can go somewhere that he can stay out of trouble. I think he definitely has D-1 talent, and his grades arent bad (he has about a B average) he is certainly getting looks from D-1 schools but I dont know of any offers yet. I know that WVU, Marshall and UConn have invited him to camps.