by look of coaches poll Ohio State vs. LSU for title!

wvuraiders

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It'll be EXTREMELY close. I think LSU will edge out Tech my only the slimmest margin. Virginia Tech will be #1 in the computers but the voters will keep them out of the national championship.

[/ QUOTE ] That would be the right thing to do...LSU beat Va. Tech by 40. LSU played one of the toughest schedules in the nation. LSU lost 2 games, both in triple overtime. LSU deserves to be in the BCS Championship game.

[/ QUOTE ]

LSU lost to two teams that were ranked lower than them, one of which being an unranked team. VT deserves a shot at the national title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very weak argument, my friend. Here's a few reasons why:

1. LSU pounded Virginia Tech by 41 points.

2. LSU is the SEC champion, which we have freely admitted is the toughest conference in the nation. Virginia Tech is the winner of the ACC, which we all can agree is the 5th-best of the BCS conferences at the moment.

3. LSU pounded Virginia Tech by 41 points.

4. LSU has not lost a game in regulation this year. In fact, both losses were in triple overtime. Virginia Tech has lost in regulation twice.

5. LSU pounded Virginia Tech by 41 points.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that V.Tech should not be in the NC game, and that LSU should. I do not agree with a couple of your points (#2 and #4.)

2. LSU is the SEC champion, which we have freely admitted is the toughest conference in the nation. Virginia Tech is the winner of the ACC, which we all can agree is the 5th-best of the BCS conferences at the moment.

I think VT is in a close group with the Big 12 and the Big 10. Niether of those conferences are really that strong, and I tihnk they both compare well with the ACC. But I do agree that the SEC os the best conference. So that point is still valid.

4. LSU has not lost a game in regulation this year. In fact, both losses were in triple overtime. Virginia Tech has lost in regulation twice.

This point is weak. Who cares how they lost? They lost in overtime to an unranked team and a 17th ranked team...they should have never been in overtime with Arkansas to begin with. The reason they play overtime is to determine a winner, you get the same L for a lose in OT as you do for lose in regulation. If the fashion of a lose count...well tech dominated the game with BC for 58 minutes, so shouldnt they get some bonus points for that?

Again, I am happy with the bowl selections. I do think that LSU should be in the NC game, and Tech shold be in the Orange Bowl... Im not sold on OSU though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know arguments #2 and #4 are fairly weak, but it makes more sense as the justification for other teams that aren't in the BCS title game.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It'll be EXTREMELY close. I think LSU will edge out Tech my only the slimmest margin. Virginia Tech will be #1 in the computers but the voters will keep them out of the national championship.

[/ QUOTE ] That would be the right thing to do...LSU beat Va. Tech by 40. LSU played one of the toughest schedules in the nation. LSU lost 2 games, both in triple overtime. LSU deserves to be in the BCS Championship game.

[/ QUOTE ]

LSU lost to two teams that were ranked lower than them, one of which being an unranked team. VT deserves a shot at the national title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very weak argument, my friend. Here's a few reasons why:

1. LSU pounded Virginia Tech by 41 points.

3. LSU pounded Virginia Tech by 41 points.

5. LSU pounded Virginia Tech by 41 points.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that V.Tech should not be in the NC game, and that LSU should. I do not agree with a couple of your points (#2 and #4.)

I think VT is in a close group with the Big 12 and the Big 10. Niether of those conferences are really that strong, and I tihnk they both compare well with the ACC. But I do agree that the SEC os the best conference. So that point is still valid.

This point is weak. Who cares how they lost? They lost in overtime to an unranked team and a 17th ranked team...they should have never been in overtime with Arkansas to begin with. The reason they play overtime is to determine a winner, you get the same L for a lose in OT as you do for lose in regulation. If the fashion of a lose count...well tech dominated the game with BC for 58 minutes, so shouldnt they get some bonus points for that?

Again, I am happy with the bowl selections. I do think that LSU should be in the NC game, and Tech shold be in the Orange Bowl... Im not sold on OSU though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know arguments #2 and #4 are fairly weak, but it makes more sense as the justification for other teams that aren't in the BCS title game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Points 1,3, and 5 are very strong though, that's the only reason why I think LSU should be in over Tech.

[ QUOTE ]

how can you refuse to watch it if lsu is in it... they won the sec why shouldn't they be in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

because if Missouri doesnt deserve a BCS bowl game because they lost ONE game at the number one spot to a VERY good Oklahoma team then LSU DEFINITELY DOES NOT DESERVE IT WITH TWO LOSSES AT NUMBER ONE!!! its as simple as that...they lost to Kentucky who came on strong at first and then died down and then they lost to an Arkansas team whos only big time threat is McFadden...i dont see how they are in over Oklahoma and a very good Tech team..yes they beat VT blah blah blah...but after that loss...VT NEVER gave up 21 points...so after that loss VT pulled it together...but LSU lost in 3 OT's of both games...that doesnt matter...an L is an L...and an L at the number one spot is huge...so they should have NO shot at the NC in my opinion...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

how can you refuse to watch it if lsu is in it... they won the sec why shouldn't they be in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

because if Missouri doesnt deserve a BCS bowl game because they lost ONE game at the number one spot to a VERY good Oklahoma team then LSU DEFINITELY DOES NOT DESERVE IT WITH TWO LOSSES AT NUMBER ONE!!! its as simple as that...they lost to Kentucky who came on strong at first and then died down and then they lost to an Arkansas team whos only big time threat is McFadden...i dont see how they are in over Oklahoma and a very good Tech team..yes they beat VT blah blah blah...but after that loss...VT NEVER gave up 21 points...so after that loss VT pulled it together...but LSU lost in 3 OT's of both games...that doesnt matter...an L is an L...and an L at the number one spot is huge...so they should have NO shot at the NC in my opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Beano. Finally, someone seconding the points that I've been trying to make. As I've said before, Arkansas was UNRANKED when LSU lost to them.

Mizzou didnt win their conference, LSU did. LSU lost at #1, sure, but they still won their conference and never got owned like Mizzou did saturday night. They lost very close games to SEC opponents. SEC..the toughest conference. I think Mizzou deserves a BCS game over Kansas, but LSU still desreve the NC game. no doubt in my mind.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Beano. Finally, someone seconding the points that I've been trying to make. As I've said before, Arkansas was UNRANKED when LSU lost to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see here. The only other teams in this great nation outside Ohio State that have one loss are Kansas and Hawaii. That's it. Does anyone here think one of those two teams deserves a national title shot under the current system? I don't. The discussion then has to flow to two-loss teams, for which I have a neat analysis below describing a recent debate.

Virginia Tech: 2007 ACC Champions

LSU: 2007 SEC Champions

Virginia Tech: 10-2

LSU: 10-2

September 8th, 2007

LSU: 48

Virginia Tech: 7

Check-mate.

Virginia Tech

Sept. 8- lost to No. 2, LSU

October 25- lost to No. 2, BC

LSU

October 13- lost to No. 17 Kentucky

November 23- lost to UNRANKED Arkansas

Check-mate.

LSU was upset twice. Tech lost to two teams ranked higher than them. LSU has had two chances to hold their spot as a championship contender and didn't do it. You can't just discredit two upset losses because they seem like they are a pretty good team. It is completely subjective that they are even thought about as a national contender right now. End of story.

It's funny that we are now combining a subjective aspect to picking who is going to be in the national championship. I agree. LSU has looked pretty good at times this year. But to put them in the nc just because they have looked pretty good and not take into account who they lost to? Simply wrong.

So how about we just go with a completely subjective pick. There are no better teams than USC and LSU, right? So then why doesn't USC get a shot at the national title? They lost to Stanford. That's it. So while I sit here and think about this more, I can only wonder why objectivity doesn't apply to LSU.

That's just me though.

Obviously.

[ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech

LSU

Check-mate.

LSU was upset twice. Tech lost to two teams ranked higher than them. LSU has had two chances to hold their spot as a championship contender and didn't do it. You can't just discredit two upset losses because they seem like they are a pretty good team. It is completely subjective that they are even thought about as a national contender right now. End of story.

It's funny that we are now combining a subjective aspect to picking who is going to be in the national championship. I agree. LSU has looked pretty good at times this year. But to put them in the nc just because they have looked pretty good and not take into account who they lost to? Simply wrong.

So how about we just go with a completely subjective pick. There are no better teams than USC and LSU, right? So then why doesn't USC get a shot at the national title? They lost to Stanford. That's it. So while I sit here and think about this more, I can only wonder why objectivity doesn't apply to LSU.

That's just me though.

Obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

VT isn't even in the same league ability wise as LSU.

The SEC makes every other conference look like a pee-wee league.

[ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech

LSU

Check-mate.

That's just me though.

Obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, far from check-mate. Your argument for Virginia Tech being placed ahead of LSU, although technically valid, is incredibly weak, given the great disparity in the head-to-head matchup (which, by the way, would be a tiebreaker for a playoff spot in the NFL...hmmm). Other similar and equally weak arguments could be made for LSU, too: the Tigers didn't lose in regulation, both losses came in triple-overtime, the SEC is the toughest conference in college football, etc. In short, the teams have similar resumes. Again, LSU won a HEAD-TO-HEAD battle against Virginia Tech. If Ohio State deserves one of the top two spots, and Virginia Tech is not as deserving than LSU (as I've shown in laborious detail), then Virginia Tech doesn't deserve the other of the top two spots. However, that's not to say LSU deserves one of the top two spots. It just shows that LSU is more deserving than Virginia Tech, and therefore there is another team more deserving than the Hokies.

These debates are just reason #157087230 that college football desperately needs a playoff system.

[ QUOTE ]

i don't think OSU deserves it...they didn't make an impressive win or anything to jump up there..the only reason they did is because they were idle and the teams ahead of them lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly!!! those other teams had there chance to stay at the top and too bad its how the bcs works... and if you don't put OSU who are you gonna put Hawaii??

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

All is but sound and fury, signifying nothing. All the arguments are moot. Lets try discussing who will win the BCS games.

[/ QUOTE ]

talk about a great sportscenter quote... "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing,"

I love you Stuart Scott... Get Well Soon!