UVA-Texas Tech

poker

Just made my bowl pick whie i took uva i saw this being interesting with a good Offensive system vs. a good Defense and im sure ppl have an opinion on how this one will go what u boys think???

[ QUOTE ]

TT will pick UVA's secondary apart...could get ugly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly like Larry Fitzgerald tore apart Virginia's secondary in the 2003 Continental Tire Bowl. He torched them for 3 catches and 33 yards, and no touchdowns, breaking his NCAA-record streak of touchdowns in consecutive games.

Texas Tech has the largest offensive line in the country, which poses a little concern for me. However, Virginia dominated Maryland's offensive line, the largest in the ACC, from start to finish. In addition, Virginia has the cyborg known as Chris Long,

Texas Tech is incredibly one-dimensional. Michael Crabtree, the Biletnikoff award winner for this season, is an absolutely fantastic wide receiver, there's no doubt about that. The 21 touchdowns are inflated, in my opinion, because Texas Tech does very little rushing. The Red Raiders' top two running backs, Shannon Woods and Aaron Crawford, have a paltry 624 yards COMBINED this season. It's apparent that Texas Tech will pass. All Virginia has to do is blitz 4 (Long will always command a double-team), and drop 7 in the secondary. The defensive plan is incredibly simplistic.

In addition, people often underestimate how good of a defensive coordinator Mike London actually is. Virginia is 17th nationally with regards to defense, and is a fairly respectible 33rd against the pass (a shock to many fans on this board who just assume Virginia's secondary is pathetic). Missouri held Texas Tech to a paltry 10 points. Missouri's national rank against the pass? 100th.

Not so fast, my friends. Virginia stands a fantastic shot to win, and I frankly believe they will.

Virginia: 37

Texas Tech: 29

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly like Larry Fitzgerald tore apart Virginia's secondary in the 2003 Continental Tire Bowl. He torched them for 3 catches and 33 yards, and no touchdowns, breaking his NCAA-record streak of touchdowns in consecutive games.

Texas Tech has the largest offensive line in the country, which poses a little concern for me. However, Virginia dominated Maryland's offensive line, the largest in the ACC, from start to finish. In addition, Virginia has the cyborg known as Chris Long,

Texas Tech is incredibly one-dimensional. Michael Crabtree, the Biletnikoff award winner for this season, is an absolutely fantastic wide receiver, there's no doubt about that. The 21 touchdowns are inflated, in my opinion, because Texas Tech does very little rushing. The Red Raiders' top two running backs, Shannon Woods and Aaron Crawford, have a paltry 624 yards COMBINED this season. It's apparent that Texas Tech will pass. All Virginia has to do is blitz 4 (Long will always command a double-team), and drop 7 in the secondary. The defensive plan is incredibly simplistic.

In addition, people often underestimate how good of a defensive coordinator Mike London actually is. Virginia is 17th nationally with regards to defense, and is a fairly respectible 33rd against the pass (a shock to many fans on this board who just assume Virginia's secondary is pathetic). Missouri held Texas Tech to a paltry 10 points. Missouri's national rank against the pass? 100th.

Not so fast, my friends. Virginia stands a fantastic shot to win, and I frankly believe they will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are any of those guys from 2003 still playing in UVA's seconday???

Actually, YES. Starting safety Jamaal Jackson, as a matter of fact.

However, as a Virginia fan, I can tell you that the secondary that year was equally as "proficient" as the one the Hoos have this year. Likewise, the head coach is the same, and he will have his players as properly prepared as they were for that game four years back.

Again, Missouri's awful secondary shut them down, and suffice it to say Virginia's is not THAT bad, as I've clearly shown above. I feel good about the chances.

Nice analysis. While I will grant you that Texas Tech does very little running, their pass first spread the field offense tends to limit the effectiveness of blitzes. The QB makes a quick read as to who is blitzing and throw to the receiver in the area the blitz came from.

I hope UVA's defense is as stout as they think it is, otherwise things could get very ugly. Ask Oklahoma. The only reason that game got close in the end was that the lack of a running game makes it hard to burn clock.

[ QUOTE ]

Actually, YES. Starting safety Jamaal Jackson, as a matter of fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, this is his fifth year of eligibility??? He started as a TRUE freshman and redshirted sometime in between??? I'm trying to do the math here...help me out...'cause I've never heard of him...was he one of the Jackson 5???

[ QUOTE ]

Nice analysis. While I will grant you that Texas Tech does very little running, their pass first spread the field offense tends to limit the effectiveness of blitzes. The QB makes a quick read as to who is blitzing and throw to the receiver in the area the blitz came from.

I hope UVA's defense is as stout as they think it is, otherwise things could get very ugly. Ask Oklahoma. The only reason that game got close in the end was that the lack of a running game makes it hard to burn clock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. A very good take on it.

I would take Texas Tech's performance against Oklahoma with a grain of salt. Oklahoma was playing without Sam Bradford in that game, who has been 218-306, 2879 yards, 34 TDs this season. However, it shows that Texas Tech has that sort of potential, and Virginia needs to be cautious against that.

I think Virginia would react well against a quick-pass type of team. Since Sintim would likely be the blitz linebacker, this would leave Jon Copper and Jermaine Dias as the linebackers covering the short routes. Copper is a very sure tackler; in fact, he leads the team with 103 (and is 65th nationally). Dias is much improved over this past year in the same regard, and is a senior, so he has seen similar offenses before throughout his playing career.

My only concern is with the home run passes. It will hinge on the safety play of Jamaal Jackson and Byron Glaspy, who have shown vast improvement since the North Carolina State game. And if Texas Tech gets a lead and can't run the clock, don't underestimate Virginia's ability to lead a game-winning drive. There is a ton of precedent for it.

He obviously was a true freshman in 2003, yes. I'm not that naive. However, that doesn't mean that he was not watching game film and participating in practices during this time. It would be slighting him to say that he would not draw a comparison between Crabtree and Fitzgerald. In short, he will have to draw on all his experiences throughout the time.

Keep the Virginia-bashing coming! Especially against those who've not bashed, and have even stuck up for, Virginia Tech in the past. Shows how unwarranted it is!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i think UVA does not have to have a great defensive backfield to win the game. Yes, i know TT can light it up through the air, but i believe UVAs D line can put pressure on Graham all night long not giving him time to throw. It will be a close one, but i believe UVA will cap off their excellent season with a win...

[ QUOTE ]

i think UVA does not have to have a great defensive backfield to win the game. Yes, i know TT can light it up through the air, but i believe UVAs D line can put pressure on Graham all night long not giving him time to throw. It will be a close one, but i believe UVA will cap off their excellent season with a win...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly it. Chris Long is hungrier than ever now and he won't allow time to get passes off. Yeah, it is one man, but as we've already seen this season, he has the capability to give quarterbacks nightmares. I'm going to take UVA 23, Texas Tech 20. I mean, what's a UVA game if it isn't won by three or less?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

all they have to do is blitz??? from what i remember watching TT they run plenty of screens, and harrell they're QB i think thats him always hits his checkdown recievers if a blitz is coming... i think if uva blitzes they lose.. if they don't blitz they'll probably lose too. but it kind of depends on how TT plays if they play like they did against oklahoma no chance for uva they looked like a machine in that game

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

all they have to do is blitz??? from what i remember watching TT they run plenty of screens, and harrell they're QB i think thats him always hits his checkdown recievers if a blitz is coming... i think if uva blitzes they lose.. if they don't blitz they'll probably lose too. but it kind of depends on how TT plays if they play like they did against oklahoma no chance for uva they looked like a machine in that game

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he meant bring 4... that leaves 7 to cover the screen. plus, UVA's dline, long especially, can really move and probably make some tackles on screens.