Monticello's Takeem Hedgeman

FIGHTN_HOKIE

526821.jpg

A proud dad, grinning for all to see, James Stinnie watched six years ago as his son, a tiny, pint-sized kid in sixth grade, carried the football for a team comprised of players from Walton Middle School.

At that point, Takeem Hedgeman knew nothing about his future nor his aspirations. He was merely excited that his father could watch him compete for the first time in a sport that has created a special bond between the two.

Daily Progress

Takeem Hedgeman

On Saturday, on the turf field at Liberty University, that journey will reach a level that neither could have ever dreamt about.

Hedgeman, the leading rusher in Central Virginia history, will take the first handoff for Monticello in its quest to bring back a state title back to what both he and his father now call home. The Mustangs (12-1) play Richlands (11-2) at noon for the VHSL AA Division 3 title.

Entering the game, Hedgeman has 6,225 career rushing yards and needs only two touchdowns against Richlands to tie former William Campbell running back and current Virginia star Cedric Peerman at 50 for the state's single-season touchdown record.

With his son holding a fair share of records in the virtual trophy case, Stinnie will leave Lynchburg proud of the kid that he watched bounce around many of the same local football fields that he had.

"When I first watched him play, I could tell that he was better than the average kid," Stinnie admitted. "But even then I had no idea that he was going to do what he is doing right now."

Following in his footsteps

Stinnie earned All-District honors, albeit on the second team, as a running back at Charlottesville for coach Garwin DeBerry during his senior season in 1991.

Those accolades fail to amount to anything he has seen his son accomplish in a career, a season, perhaps even a game - Hedgeman closed out September by shredding Powhatan and Orange for 584 yards and 11 touchdowns in an eight-day window.

"I couldn't compare to him at all," Stinnie said. "I was just an average football player. I was decent and I had good speed, but nothing like what he is doing.

"You can't even compare the two."

But how Stinnie has helped Hedgeman, who started playing football as a 7-year-old while living with his mother in Charlotte, N.C., remains invaluable.

"My dad is incredible," Hedgeman said. "That's my biggest friend and he is my role model. I just don't think there is anybody better in this world than him.

"I have never met anybody like him before. He's not afraid of anything. He's not afraid to say anything. He just speaks his mind … I don't know, there is just something about him."

Still without Division I offers

From every account from his teammates, friends and coaches, the same could be said for Hedgeman, a confident kid.

Yet, interest in the 17-year-old has been spotty from college football programs.

Hedgeman has heard all the reasons. Perhaps he is too small. Maybe he is not fast enough. Perhaps he is running behind an awesome offensive line (which he agrees with).

Grades are not an issue - Hedgeman said he maintains a 2.9 grade point average and posted a 1040 on his two-part SAT.

All of it continues to leave Hedgeman and others baffled and it fuels him in his daily walk.

"I don't know … I feel like with 2,700 yards and 48 touchdowns that I should at least had the attention of a few Division I-A schools, but I haven't talked to a Division I-A coach on the phone yet, not one head coach," Hedgeman admitted. "That definitely motivates me. It makes me play harder and feel like I have something to prove."

On Saturday, Hedgeman, who started a playoff game for Monticello in 2004 as a rookie, will give his last audition on the grandest stage.

"One of my coaches told me before that the bigger games that we win, the bigger teams that are going to come and watch," Hedgeman said. "As long as we do what we are supposed to Saturday … who knows.

"We will see how it goes."

And when the contest comes to an end, in favor of Monticello or Richlands, Hedgeman will turn and see Stinnie smiling from ear to ear just as he did six years ago.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hit him early,hard, and alot. If Richlands can hold him to 100 yards or less they will be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

100 yards or less? More like 30 yards or less. They haven't faced "The Storm."

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a rest, you'll be lucky to win the game. Richlands is going to have to play their best game of the season on saturday, this will be the best competition they've faced all year. I hope they can win, but I do believe they are the underdog in this one.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hit him early,hard, and alot. If Richlands can hold him to 100 yards or less they will be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

100 yards or less? More like 30 yards or less. They haven't faced "The Storm."

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a rest, you'll be lucky to win the game. Richlands is going to have to play their best game of the season on saturday, this will be the best competition they've faced all year. I hope they can win, but I do believe they are the underdog in this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much spot on.

I generally don't post on this board, because I'm not back home to see the teams play: I'd be running on blind faith. However, I was in Charlottesville from 2003 until this past May, and was able to drop in to see a Monticello game last year. My prognosis then: a very talented, young team that could be almost unstoppable if the players show solid development. It looks like that's what's happened. Guys, this team is quite good and intact, and run the ball with a vengeance.

I agree with fulbolking: I wish the Blue Tornado all the best of luck in Lynchburg this weekend. Trust me, they will need every ounce of it.

[ QUOTE ]

The O-line and blocking out of the backfield look very in sink.

Why wouldn't a D-1 be making offers. Monticello is a UVA town school, why aren't they talking to this guy? 5'10"

190 lbs. ????

[/ QUOTE ]

A good question, seeing Groh's trend in recruiting backs from smaller schools. I believe that Virginia's not giving him a look because the team's fairly stocked at running back for the next two/three years. Cedric Peerman, Andrew Pearman, Keith Payne, and Mikell Simpson all got significant playing time this season. None of them are seniors. He would be mired far too deep in the depth chart.