pikeview 86 wyoming east 81

twopac

That is incredible! Never did I think that Pike View would beat Wyoming East, much less in such a high scoring affair. I believed the only way they could win big games against good competition would be to keep the score low. I guess not this year.

This looks like there could be some exciting basketball in Southern WV when it comes around tournament time with Pike View and Summers County and all the others that are in the section/region.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

pike view and wyoming east are both horrible... If wyoming east has an off shooting night then Montcalm could beat them...

It must have been a woodshed for Wyoming East because they got beat at HOME! A 6 point victory at Wyoming East is equivalent to a 15 to 20 point victory on a neutral court. I would say that Bluefield will move up a little bit in the rankings now.

This game sort of has me worried about the Pike View games in the Christmas tournament and further into the season. It is not that Pike View is a great team, but it is incredible what a little confidence will do for a team.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Pikeview will try and run with Bluefield and will self-destruct before the end of each quarter cause they can not handle the speed of the game... and they will be dog tired. lol

Pikeview will not stand a CHANCE(remembering last years game when Joey Church cheapshotted Chance Cotrell with a punch the back of the head and then ran away) against Bluefield this year. They beat Wyoming East, but that doesnt impress me and im sure it doesnt impress too many other people. Bluefield is very very fast this year and can get up and down the court like it's nothing and once Shaun and Ansel get reaccustomed to the hardwood, its gonna be tough for anyone to stop us.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Poca is a one man team. It is disgusting. all they do is give noah cotrill the ball and let him do whatever. All their coach cares about is how much noah scores from what i can see. he had 40 of their 59 points against WE, and i really think he got the ball more than usual because Huggins was there...

As for WE, its Live by the 3, Die by the 3. Cory Williard hit 11 threes against Poca... to only 5 against PV.

Wyoming East jacks up threes all night long...

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield is very very fast this year and can get up and down the court like it's nothing and once Shaun and Ansel get reaccustomed to the hardwood, its gonna be tough for anyone to stop us.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Bluefield is always fast. I can't remember a team that didn't "try" to run the court. Even when Gilliard was coaching, if somehow they got to running that is when they built their biggest leads, until he would decide to slow the pace.

2. If Ponder and Brooks get in foul trouble like they are accustomed to, then it could be a long night for the Beavers. Warren Furrow and Tre Baker can put some good time to relieve them, but neither one of them nor anyone on the team off the bench can put the points up that Ansel and Shaun are capable of.

3. Guard play with this team is still very skeptical. Craig Ponder is a great point guard but VERY rarely will you ever find a 15, maybe 16 year old, sophomore capable of leading a team. Dexter Moore had a hard time doing this as a sophomore.

4. There is no outside shooting threat on the team other than Craig. If he is having an off night from beyond the arc then it could spell trouble for the Beavers. They play an average of 2 to 3 games a week and it is inevitable that an off night, or week perhaps, will occur.

This year's team has talent just like every team that Bluefield has pretty much year in and year out. They are really no different, and in my opinion, do not even compare to the team of last year. The only thing this team has that the last year's team didn't is a coach, maybe. If Havens will play an up-tempo style of game with a lot of man to man defense then he will be a winner.

I foresee a very good basketball season for Bluefield with a lot of victories, but there really isn't any reason to believe that this season should be one for the ages. I didn't say it couldn't be, but there is nothing that stands out. I hope this team will prove me wrong and bring home a state title.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield is very very fast this year and can get up and down the court like it's nothing and once Shaun and Ansel get reaccustomed to the hardwood, its gonna be tough for anyone to stop us.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Bluefield is always fast. I can't remember a team that didn't "try" to run the court. Even when Gilliard was coaching, if somehow they got to running that is when they built their biggest leads, until he would decide to slow the pace.

2. If Ponder and Brooks get in foul trouble like they are accustomed to, then it could be a long night for the Beavers. Warren Furrow and Tre Baker can put some good time to relieve them, but neither one of them nor anyone on the team off the bench can put the points up that Ansel and Shaun are capable of.

3. Guard play with this team is still very skeptical. Craig Ponder is a great point guard but VERY rarely will you ever find a 15, maybe 16 year old, sophomore capable of leading a team. Dexter Moore had a hard time doing this as a sophomore.

4. There is no outside shooting threat on the team other than Craig. If he is having an off night from beyond the arc then it could spell trouble for the Beavers. They play an average of 2 to 3 games a week and it is inevitable that an off night, or week perhaps, will occur.

This year's team has talent just like every team that Bluefield has pretty much year in and year out. They are really no different, and in my opinion, do not even compare to the team of last year. The only thing this team has that the last year's team didn't is a coach, maybe. If Havens will play an up-tempo style of game with a lot of man to man defense then he will be a winner.

I foresee a very good basketball season for Bluefield with a lot of victories, but there really isn't any reason to believe that this season should be one for the ages. I didn't say it couldn't be, but there is nothing that stands out. I hope this team will prove me wrong and bring home a state title.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I definitely believe we will have tougher times this year, and youre right about Shaun and Ansel being in foul trouble. However, if we sub in a lot like we did against Graham, we shouldnt have to worry about that. Also about outside threats, you dont always need one, and plus, Turquan nailed I think 2 three pointers out of the three he took against Graham and he always has been a good shooter. This year will be tough for Bluefield because we did lose a lot last year, but we are very deep this year and exaustion shouldnt be a problem. As like I said in another thread, we didnt have the same 5 players on the court for more than 3 minutes.

I agree that subbing in and out will decrease foul trouble but when it comes down to close games you will want to have your best players on the court. There are many people on Bluefield's bench that can go in and play some quality points, but when it gets down to crunch time you will need the nucleus of the team out there, which I feel is Casey, Brooks, and the Ponder brothers. I am sure that Havens and Co. have already taken that into consideration and, hopefully, have a developed plan for it. The 9 to 10 man bench works for Roy Williams and North Carolina, but unfortunately neither Havens or the Beavers are comparable. wink.gif

Turquan Casey played an excellent game against Graham but he only made 1 three pointer out of about 3 or maybe 4 attempts. That is still respectable, but I wouldn't count on his outside shooting ability too much. Last year he did not shoot the ball particularly well but used his strengths of playing good, hard defense and driving the ball to the basket and taking it up strong. If he has gained consistency with his outside shot over the off-season then it will play to a huge advantage for the Beavers.

I disagree with you about the need for outside shooting. It is extremely important to have a couple people who can shoot, or at least pose a threat to shoot. That is why Bluefield's offense last year was so effective because there was almost always 2 if not 3 players on the court who posed the threat to shoot all night long. If a team cannot shoot from beyond the arc then the opposing team can just sit in a zone all night and make it very difficult get the ball down low and score.

This is why I love Bluefield sports because no matter who you gain or lose every year, it is always exciting because they have a major chance to make it a special season and compete year in and year out.